vtab 1008 --update or don't update

bumby

Jun 9, 2012
Just purchased one of Costco's gingerbread vtab for $189.
I have not updated it as I have been doing the research on whether it can be rooted or not...
It does have version 1.4 build number 1.9.57 and it appears that rooting is not an option.

So do I go ahead and update it....or hold out hoping for a root that includes build number 1.9.57.
any suggestions

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Update.

build 1.9.57 was a build made specifically to block root, doubt it would be cracked. Chances of a Honeycomb crack should be much higher.

The features included in Honeycomb are well worth it, as long as you dont fall into the small percent of units that dont take it kindly and it causes errors. Mine loved the update and works so much better now. HC fully activates the SD card to where you can store apps to your hearts content.

Oct 10, 2011
Like Conspirator said, 1.9.57 was not really an update - just a patch to block root. I'm quite happy with the HC upgrade as the tablet seems to run more smoothly and a bit faster, apps can now be run from the SD card (and not be limited to how many you can cram into the 2 gig of internal memory) and the battery not only charges faster but appears to last longer. There seems to be a few people who have Wi-Fi issues and with apps they use on a daily basis. Since yours is a fresh load I'd imagine it would take to HC with no problems but if it didn't I'd rather find out while it is still under Costco's exchange warranty.

bumby

Jun 9, 2012
Update completed, all went well, however having problems getting my pc to connect to the tablet, however I guess this is a common issue. Currently utilizing dropbox.com to transfer files between pc and tablet.

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Update completed, all went well, however having problems getting my pc to connect to the tablet, however I guess this is a common issue. Currently utilizing dropbox.com to transfer files between pc and tablet.

Try software data cable from market.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Come on people, this is stickied at the top of the page. And this is not an intermitent problem, everybody has this issue. Upon updating, the old drivers no longer work and vizio has not release a new driver yet. Here is the walkthrough of how to fix the problem.

We'll need to manually install the driver for the tablet. Please follow these steps.
> Plug in the tablet to the USB port on your computer and the micro USB port on the tablet.
> On your computer, Click on START, then on COMPUTER
> Click on SYSTEM PROPERTIES
> Click on Device Manager
> You should see the following: Other Devices VTAB1008
> Double click on VTAB1008 with the yellow exclamation point. The box below will pop up
> Click on Update Driver
> Next click on “Browse my computer for driver software”
>Next, click on “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
>Scroll down on the left window until you get to Portable Devices, highlight it and click next.
> Click once on Standard MTP Device and the right window will populate. Next click on MTP USB
Device and click on NEXT (MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol)
> Click YES to the Update Driver Warning
> When completed, you will be told that Windows has successfully updated the driver.
> Click on Close and you should be returned to Device Manager and now the VTAB1008 will
appear under Portable Devices.
> Your computer will likely now pop up with a new drive detected, just as it would if you plugged
in a USB Flash drive. Click on “Open device to view files”

Last edited: