Vtab for $160

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
dougb73 said:

Thanks for the link but I could not tell if it was running Gingerbread or Vizio Honeycomb.

If it is running Gingerbread it is worth it. If it is running Vizio Honeycrud the Flash player doesn't work the way it does on other Honeycomb tablets and you can't use the full screen because 9.5% of the screen in landscape mode is for on screen buttons.

stevepike

Mar 14, 2012
The loss of the bottom of the screen is not just on Vizio tablets, it exists on other tablets(Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 for example. Not a real lot of lost real estate lost.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
stevepike said:
The loss of the bottom of the screen is not just on Vizio tablets, it exists on other tablets(Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 for example. Not a real lot of lost real estate lost.

But they start with a higher resolution so they still have a lot of screen space left after the lose plus for some reason and it could be the default setting for the browser the Vizio browser also takes some off the top too. Just go to a Best Buy, find a Samsung tablet with HC and use the browser to try and play a YouToube video in full screen and you will see exactly what I mean. And make sure you didn't end up in the youtube application.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
jhig1961 said:
Roger you sure complain alot. The vtab costs under $200 and it blows away the fire.

OK so if you have a better way to try and get Vizio to get their HC tablet to work like other tablets with HC let me know please.

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
I am not trying to defend Vizio. I think there is issue with the Vizio Honeycomb Browser.

But, if you are watching YouTube videos which are HD, in Landscape and or Portrait mode, the screen buttons at the bottom do not take away the video area at all. Only when you are watching videos which are 3:4 , that 8" becomes 7"1/8. Also, Vizio still have the advantage to most Android Tablet when displayed in the Portrait mode as most other Android Tablet are narrower in the Portrait orientation.

There is also work around when you get the YouTube video displayed in the m.youtube. site using the stock Browser (i.e. no picture, but sound). All you have to do is to use the "four arrow" expansion button in the video to open the video in YouTube App. If the YouTube video was displayed in the YouTube desktop site. To control the video start/stop, you have to touch areas outside the video first. Once you get the hang of it, its not that bad.

That being said, I am going to return my Vizio to Costco (which has a 90 days return policy). Reason is that I got the Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6 (Gingerbread)from Best Buy at $149, which also has GPS and FM radio that I want. I think the Vizio's touch screen/or control implementation has some problem which compounded the annoyance. Even on the Lock screen keyboard (that's when you do waking up and the only thing active is the lock screen), it seems to have registration, double bounce, non responsive problems.

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
I don't understand all the complaining. The Honeycomb stock browser, home screen interface and keyboard are lousy, but it is a cinch to relace them with free third party apps that are terrific. The latest incarnation of Dolphin HD browser is fabulous. LauncherPro offers a great home screen setup which dovetails with every known type of icon you want to put on those screens, and SwiftKey Tablet X is a terrific keyboard for the VTAB with lots of customization options. The benefit of the Honeycomb upgrade is in the performance. The VTAB runs faster than it did under Gingerbread, so the upgrade is worth doing.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It's refreshing to see someone who's happy with their tablet, I'm pleased with mine too. :cool:

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
I love my tablet and I find it has been a huge improvement with the Honeycomb update. I have had very little problems with flash(and I am still using the stock 10.3 version) and the small amount of screen loss is worth the HC features ie SD card use and I find the onscreen buttons a lot more responsive than the bezel buttons they used to drive me crazy.

Jim

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I love my tablet and I find it has been a huge improvement with the Honeycomb update. I have had very little problems with flash(and I am still using the stock 10.3 version) and the small amount of screen loss is worth the HC features ie SD card use and I find the onscreen buttons a lot more responsive than the bezel buttons they used to drive me crazy.

I still like my Vizio, I still use "the stock 10.3 version" and the lost screen space isn't a real big issue until I get that compatibility mode question and then it seems no matter how I answer that question it screws up something and I end up watching TV with the sides cut off.

As for as the issues I've found with the Adobe Flash Player the real issue is I do not approve of the way Vizio has addressed them. They tell me not to view YouTube videos with the browser and to use the YouTube App instead and then they tell me they can not test all the program out there.

My concern is:
1. The YouTube app can not do everything the Browser can do. Case in point: The YouTube App can not be used to view your own "History" and then the YouTube App will not add videos watched to your "History" either.

2. I don't expect Vizio to test all the programs out there just the ones that Vizio distributes with their Tablet meaning the Flash Player.

Last edited: