VTAB Shortage? What's it mean?

southsound

Dec 3, 2011
Checked our local Costco this week and found NO VTABs on display. They are also gone from Walmart.com and many local stores. Amazon has several partners selling them for close to $300 but none from Amazon itself. If you Google the tablet you will find higher prices from the few retailers who have them.

Here is the clincher - Vizio has posted that the tablet is currently out of stock.

IMHO this probably means one of three things:

1 The VTAB has been much more successful than Vizio expected and they simply ran out.
2 Vizio is bringing out a new model as soon as the current stock is exhausted.
3 Vizio is getting out of the tablet business.

Anyone have an informed guess?

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
Just some thoughts...
- I don't think the vtab has been out long enough for them to have a new model already (but you never know)
- I don't think they are making much if any money on it but with the remote app and the tv's they already have in people homes I think they would still have a long term interest in a Vizio "platform" where everything works together.
- I have been telling people about it so if production was limited for them to test the tablet waters it is possible that they are running low.

Obviously I know nothing, just though I would chime in on the conversation. :)

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
From what I know now, vtab1008 was supposed to be a Mother of All Tablets.
There were some design features which would put it among the most expensive best-selling tablets.
Then something went wrong, I don't know what.
Some features were removed and vtab1008 as we know it was released.
So yes, it is quite possible Vizio is getting out of the tablet business.
It is overcrowded already with some big players - Asus, Sony, Toshiba, HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc.

Perky1964

Nov 28, 2011
So I submitted the following to Vizio. Will let you all know of any response I get....

Hello,
I have been a Vizio product owner for years. My most recent purchase has been the Vtab. I am noticing that the Vtab is becoming less and less available and rumors are flying on forums that Vizio may be getting out of the tablet market. I would like to know if this is the case, as I can still return my tablet and shop for another. I am hoping it was just rumor as I am a strong supporter of your products, and will continue to be, and thoroughly enjoy the Vtab.

Perky1964

Nov 28, 2011
Subject
Vtab 1008

Discussion Thread
Response (Cassandra)12/22/2011 01:20 PM
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

I can assure you that the tablet has not been discontinued and we are not going to do so any time in the near future. Declines in price on our product was actually to remain more competitive with other tablets they have on the market. Thank you for choosing VIZIO.

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 1-888-849-4623 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com

Thanks and have a great day!

Cassandra Christiansen
VIZIO -The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us: America's #1 LCD HDTV Company | VIZIO
Facebook: Vizio | Facebook
Twitter : Twitter
Customer By Web Form 12/22/2011 10:18 AM
Hello,
I have been a Vizio product owner for years. My most recent purchase has been the Vtab. I am noticing that the Vtab is becoming less and less vailable and rumors are flying on forums that Vizio may be getting out of the tablet market. I would like to know if this is the case, as I can still return my tablet and shop for another. I am hoping it was just rumor as I am a strong supporter of your products, and will continue to be, and thoroughly enjoy the Vtab.

erjoh

Dec 22, 2011
Or perhaps vizio focused their attention on their tvs for the holidays. Remember that the staple is their tv brand. Vtab is an experiment.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I am sure Vizio gladly shares all the future directions in their corporate policies with their tech support as well as with their customers.

stocksj

Nov 22, 2011
The VTAB-1008 in a nice device. Maybe they have an upgrade coming out in the next shipment and a OTA update to a better OS.

Klingercrazy

Dec 7, 2011
Vtab1008 was still in stock at the walmart here in myrtle Beach, South Carolina as of Christmas eve day. Demand has made them scarce, but associate stated they get around 10 a day at most and keep selling them as they get them.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Dwelder

Dec 6, 2011
Vtab1008 was still in stock at the walmart here in myrtle Beach, South Carolina as of Christmas eve day. Demand has made them scarce, but associate stated they get around 10 a day at most and keep selling them as they get them.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Here in San Diego they are sold out in most places. I don't think Vizio is getting rid of their tablet. It is the holiday season so people are buying gifts, that's why I think they are sold out.

Sent from my Vizio Tablet using Tapatalk!

briman4031

Dec 23, 2011
I wouldn't overthink it. The tablet is only 6 months old. I think they found that at $400 it was overpriced comparatively. They dropped it to roughly $200, a better pricepoint. Due to this it's the best spec'ed, lowest price tablet on the market and it's Christmas time. They'll restock. I'm sure they'll release another update too.

techknowmama

Jan 3, 2012
well I had to send my, tablet back because the micro usb port was lose and would not charge and they don't even have any refurbished one to replace it with, wish they would have told me that before I sent it in to them, it has been a month and they still have not replaced the thing yet, they said they had more coming but they could not give me an eta of when

robop

Dec 6, 2010
Sounds like low supply and really high, unexpected, demand for the Holidays.