VTAB vs. Flyer

EHokie

Nov 4, 2011
With HTC rolling out Honeycomb for the 3G HTC Flyer today with a promise of the WiFi version coming soon, what do you guys think?

I like Honeycomb, and I'd like to see it on the VTAB, but at only $100 bucks more the Flyer is looking a lot better with it's hardware.

Anyone else swayed by this?

Rawkfist

Nov 14, 2011
I bought the VTAB and am very happy with it. It does what I need. Ask yourself honestly if the better hardware is worth another $100. I took a good hard look at what I use, and you know what? I really browse the internet the most and that's it. I'm guessing most people do too.

EHokie

Nov 4, 2011
I agree, and I disagree.

On one hand, I'm a college student who has an HP laptop with 4GB RAM and a 250GB hard drive that I can do an INFINITE amount of things with. But I can't throw it in my bag and go places with it without thinking about it.

On the other hand, I only paid just over 400 for it with tax, and that's not a lot for a machine that does 5 times more than a tablet. I suppose one reason I like the idea of something with a bit more in the hardware department is that I may consider buying textbooks digitally and viewing them in class on a tablet, but then a 7 inch tablet feels a bit small, and a 10 inch tablet eliminates most of the advantages I see in the portability department.

I want to see HC on the VTAB, and if I had an indication we'd be seeing it, I'd be more likely to stick on. But I also am curious as to how well it'd run and if Vizio may now have seen that the hardware simply doesn't suit the software.

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
The only reason I can see someone wanting more than the Vizio has to offer is:

1. You need more than the allotted internal storage.
2. You are an avid gamer and need to be able to run the most demanding games (Gameloft, EA stuff)

That's about it. I have an iPad, but I also have a Vizio tab, and honestly, I'm quite happy with it. It's got Market access, decent processor so it's speedy enough, it runs about everything I need it to, the IR blaster is a cool bonus, and that's about it. For a web browsing, emailing, media and game playing tablet, it does what it needs to do at its price point.

Would it be nice if it had a dual core processor and a gig of ram? Sure. Would it be nice if it had more internal storage? Yep. Oh, and the viewing angle on my screen isn't so great. But for me, these aren't deal breakers.

X

EHokie

Nov 4, 2011
Valid points! And things that would be difficult for me to give up are the speakers and the screen's aspect ratio for web browsing in landscape.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
No IR, no deal.
IR remote was a dealmaker for Vizio.

I wouldn't mind better display and graphics.
As of OS version, I don't relly care.

There is ICS coming and then something else.
There always will be newer and greater devices around the corner.

There is never a good time to buy a computer.