VTAB1008 Android 3.2.1

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
Is there any way to force the update? I hit Settings -> About Device -> Vizio Update Service and it says "your VIZIO tablet is up to date. No update is necessary". My android version is at 2.3.2.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
The only issue I have run into is the video highlights on mlb at bat 12 no longer work. The gameday function is greatly improved and the audio works great.

The tablet seems a lot faster and as I mentioned before the home and back buttons are a lot more responsive. Seems the sdcard issue is still there but that never bothered me I still have after 5 months 2.4 left on the onboard storage and 600 on the internal storage. My sdcard holds all my photos and music and I have a 32gig class 10 card. I wonder why they did not address this limitation, but my guess is Vizio will not fix this since they just rolled out honeycomb and did not fix it with this update.

Last web browsing is a joy, not being sent to mobile sites is a plus and the interface is fantastic IMHO. The keyboard even seems more responsive.

Jim

nicklovell23

Feb 7, 2012
I have two problems so far. After the update I couldn't unlock the tab. I use the draw a pattern lock method, but could not see the dots to unlock until I Looked real close. Things are overlapped vertically and my cursoris going all over the place

you could boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No mention of the update on the site and no link in support. It looks like they are rolling out in batches as somebody stated in another thread here. Maybe they are doing limited test releases to identify potential issues?

nicklovell23

Feb 7, 2012
Is there any way to force the update? I hit Settings -> About Device -> Vizio Update Service and it says "your VIZIO tablet is up to date. No update is necessary". My android version is at 2.3.2.

not that im aware of i would just give it a little bit and it should give you an option to update

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
Luckygoof said:
I have two problems so far. After the update I couldn't unlock the tab. I use the draw a pattern lock method, but could not see the dots to unlock until I Looked real close. Things are overlapped vertically and my cursoris going all over the place

Mine did this on the initial start up but once I restarted it again I no longer had a problem.

Jim

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
All the app to Sd installers I have tried just go to the default tablet or onboard storage install options.

This is a Honeycomb issue Google dropped app to SD support to move apps to the SD card (and also ICS I believe). From james23p it sounds like the SD card setup is the same though regarding app data and so forth.

IndyOne

Mar 12, 2012
Had problems connecting to my home wifi initially. Had to enable 'SSID' broadcast even though I could manually enter parrameters. Other than that everything working perfectly. Thanks Vizio.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
J515OP said:
This is a Honeycomb issue Google dropped app to SD support to move apps to the SD card (and also ICS I believe). From james23p it sounds like the SD card setup is the same though regarding app data and so forth.

Correct from what I can tell there is no functional difference in regard to the sdcard and how storage is setup. It does seem Vizio changed the name from internal sdcard to onboard storage. But as I get older I can't be 100% sure what it was called before the update I thought it was called internal sdcard.

Jim

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A quick look says it has "Internal Storage" and "Application Storage". Since Honeycomb handles sd cards a little differently (no apps 2 sd) they probably went with the Honeycomb default but then pointed the Honeycomb sd card references to the internal sd card partition as before. While annoying to "advanced" users this means that the "average" user won't get error messages from not having an sd card for apps that require one.

The theory is that Google is trying to force manufacturers to put a decent amount of on borad storage instead of relying on sd cards. Some of the cheaper knock off tablets will only have enough on board for the OS and nothing else, so that using an sd card was essentially mandatory. It usually doesn't make people happy to buy something, get it home and then find out they have to go buy something else (an sd card), which is why vizio and others are also taking the approach of a partition designated as "sd".

Of course people don't have issues with devices coming without batteries. Cameras and phones don't generally come with sd cards these days. They could just also just include sd cards as some companies do as a "bonus" and make people really happy. It all just comes down to managing expectations but Android is sort of the wild west when it comes to these issues so we end up with no expectations and are all dissatisfied with the outcome. ;)

Luckygoof

Nov 13, 2011
I had to restart a couple of times. It helped with the overlapping, but now I cannot see what I have typed untilI pull the page down behind the keyboard and back up. I have as many as eight cursors out ahead of what I last typed. In the lower right-hand corner of this field in yellow it says "Auto-saved".Very frustrated.Everything to do with this forum is slow on my tab. Will try other things and see if there are similar problems elsewhere.

mui

Nov 28, 2011

I've forced the update. so yes

mui

Nov 28, 2011
I had used the apps to SD hack for unroot tablets and the reboot didn't get passed the V but I was able to get into recovery and do a factory reset that caused it to install the update. I don't like that the UI hasn't changed to something more loike a standard android ui so it still needs a launcher. The good news is the blue tooth keyboard did work fine.

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
I downloaded it. I'm not crazy about the launcher. I was using
Launcher Pro with 2.3 and was very happy with it, but with Honeycomb the Launcher Pro icons are too small. Does anyone have any recommendatns for a favorite Honeycomb Launcher?

Perfromance is much better. Before I could not run Google Earth cleanly - imagery would constantly break up. Not enough performance. Now it runs reasonably well.