VTAB1008 Rooting Help

klpayne

Jan 23, 2012
Hi everyone. This is my first post and my first day on this site. I'm new to using and having an android. I currently have a VTAB1008 version 2.3.2, software ver. V.I.A plus 1.4.
So my questions are these, can someone please point me in the right direction to root my device, start to finish, very basic, step by little detailed step and to the point for dummies. I can learn fast, but having no idea to begin with completely limits me. I really want to learn everything I can and I spent several hours reading posts today before I decided to ask for help. Also, is there a way to unroot it back to stock? If I go through the process of rooting I doubt I would have a reason to go back, but you never know.
Thank all of you in advance and I'm glad I was able to find this site and all of you.

concealer404

Jan 23, 2012
Don't screw yourself like I did. Don't update that thing like I did, you can't root it then.

Beyond that, i'm not much help. There's a big thread on rooting this thing in the vizio section.

Makes two of us today that joined with the vtab1008. :)

Edit: bummer man, i think you're already screwed for the time being until someone else figures out how to root it again. Your info matches mine.

Last edited:

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
I dont see why gingerbreak wont root it. Its 2.3, so gingerbreak should work. And if it doesnt work, no biggy, gingerbreak wont brick the device cus it uses an exploit.

Here is a post i did on rooting.the PD Supernova. The ROM is different but the android version is nearly the same. Maybe 1 revision off i believe.

http://www.AndroidTablets.net/forum/showthread.php?p=175399

Worth a shot at least if you are serious about rooting it. And if you change your mind the just revert back to factory defaults.

concealer404

Jan 23, 2012
Actually, xda is saying that the update to 1.5 killed it.

So i guess since we're apparently still 1.4, we might be ok?

Just doublechecked mine and it's showing Software Version V.I.A. plus 1.4

onykage

Jan 11, 2012
Well give it a shot, what you have to lose? It wont brick the device or factory default it. At worst case it will format your sd card, which you can always backup the sd card before you give it a go.

Sent from my PD SuperNova DLX

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi klpayne, welcome aboard. Glad you decided to become a member and join us here in the forum. I'm going to move your thread to the Vizio Tablets forum for you. The folks there are the ones who know your tablet best and should be able to help you out. Good luck!

eajeffcpa

Jan 24, 2012
I have the VTAB. I just opened it up over the weekend. And when it asked about an update I did so, not realizing that might prevent rooting. The strange thing is: the software version still says 1.4. Any idea why?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It is possible you had a bad download/install. Does it still prompt you to update? Maybe you got lucky.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
guys, guys, guys, READ THIS FORUM.

Briefly:
If you have version 1.4 Build 9.1.56 you CAN root.
If it is version 1.4 Build 9.1.57 you are SOL in terms of root.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
guys, guys, guys, READ THIS FORUM.

Briefly:
If you have version 1.4 Build 9.1.56 you CAN root.
If it is version 1.4 Build 9.1.57 you are SOL in terms of root.

Or that... but again, maybe you got lucky and the install didn't go through. Depending on what you want to use the tablet for rooting might not matter. If you need the adhoc fix or wanted SD card access you might not be so happy.

klpayne

Jan 23, 2012
I will check my build. I think the only reason I really want to root my tablet is just so I have full access to my SD card. It bugs me that I can't put apps on it. I'm not just new to this site or my tab, but to Android as a whole. I also just got a Samsung Dart phone and I'm wondering if the same applies to that?

klpayne

Jan 23, 2012
build number 1.9.57, and software v.i.a. 1.4, uboot version 1.1.18
Like I said I really want to root to have SD access, but I won't do it if it's easy for me to brick my VTAB or if there's not away to restore it to factory.

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
you cant root you have build 1.9.57 you can't root. at least until a way is found. frankly id we are getting honeycomb. i would hope we get root for that. or atleast a flashable rom for us on 1.9.56