W00Ters word of warning - check your OTA version FIRST!

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
I have a gTab purchase though the Wood deal - mine has Tap UI version: 1.1 - 3588 and

Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-00000.10.8.2-dirty
hudson@tapntapsvn #16

If I am understanding things correctly, this device is OK for the ROMs posted... Thanks for all the efforts!!!

Mar 24, 2011
Early reports on Woot! are saying that the build number is 3389, OOTB. What a relief!!! Modding risk is no different than any other GTablet out there.

Just got mine from Woot today and can confirm this. D/L'ing the 3588 update now...Worked fine, thanks!

Last edited:

roebeet

Oct 25, 2010
Still no update yet from our friends at Viewsonic - they are still trying to hammer out issues with the new firmware, allegedly. If you see 3588 as an update, you are A-OK. If you see something newer than that, then we just don't know how that will interact with current mods.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Still no update yet from our friends at Viewsonic - they are still trying to hammer out issues with the new firmware, allegedly. If you see 3588 as an update, you are A-OK. If you see something newer than that, then we just don't know how that will interact with current mods.

thanks for the update!

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
I must be the lone gtab owner who has a "virgin" stock device. I have not turned on wifi so as to avoid any update prompts. I have not installed Clockworkmod or performed any modded process to my device. My gtab sits here on my desk fresh out of the box in pristine untouched condition.

I have vendor build 3389. I have followed Roebeet's thread about build 4349 and have chosen to avoid that upgrade path until it has "aged" a while. So, I am going to mod my device the Vegan route. My questions are...

1. Can I mod to Vegan directly from 3389? Or do I have to upgrade to 3588 first?

2. With Vegan successfully installed, will I still get upgrade prompts for the stock upgrades?

Thanks in advance!

justdrooit

Apr 21, 2011
I had the 3389 as well and managed to Clock Mod it and installed Vegan 5.1.1 without too much trouble.

Now... I *am* having a little difficulty trying to go to anything newer than that. I don't know if I'm simply blind and missing a step somewhere or if that process of going to 3588 was really necessary before doing the update.

So the answer to #1 is Yes, but it couldn't hurt to upgrade to 3588 first.

I believe the answer to #2 is No.

Guys, if I'm wrong here, please chime in.

gravimetric

Jun 9, 2011
Just a heads-up about the Woot GTab sale in June. I just got my GTab in and the Tap UI version is 1.2-4349 out of the box for anyone else (like me) who was looking forward to rooting and flashing their GTab. Wouldn't want someone to brick their device before actually getting to play with it. Good luck, Grav

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
thanks for the tip Roe! was going to post it myself but you beat me to it....

also, BIG THANKS for BoS, you ROCK!

mtrantow

Jun 22, 2011
Newbie! Just received my gTab via CircuitCity.com for $270 (they still exist online!)
... it came with TapUI 1.2-4349
... plan to mod it to one of the newer 1.2 ROMS
Thanks to all whose input in these forums helped me make the decision.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Congrats on the new tablet and welcome to the forum!

Glad to have you here.