Wake Button - Doesn't - But unit is using battery power constantly

Scooter74

Oct 29, 2011
Ok I started a similar thread and nobody seems to know or care to answer.

Here is what I think has happened.

Immediately before the tablet stopped working properly I used my HDMI cable to connect to our TV so we could hopefully watch some episodes of our favorite shows.
When I tried to stop on show it would not stop. The only way I could stop it was to shut down the tablet. Using the suspend/sleep function with a short tap on the power button didn't work. Since that time the sleep/wake function doesn't work.
Additionally the battery life is evaporating like the unit is ON all the time - it will last less than a day once it is unhooked from the charger. BUT it still takes a cold start to get the unit on.

I can't find any function control for the sleep/wake function and I wonder if that is something only accessable through a factory tech's powers.?

Any ideas folks - Otherwise I have an RMA number to send this in for warranty service but from what i hear that isn't always successfull.

HELP ! !

tragidy

Jan 29, 2011
Wow seems terrible can you install juice defender?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 via DroidTALK

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have at least 2 suggestions. Something obviously is hung up somewhere so a hard reset is definitely needed. No data will be lost.

Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task,try again until you have seen the 2 icons in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime is locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset.

My second suggestion is to install Auto Airplane Mode, (by DON), from the Google Store, which should help the battery problem.

Scooter74

Oct 29, 2011
Yes - Did a cold boot and waited for the two icons - No change
Also have done a factory reset - No change
I've downloaded "System Tuner" can't find anything strange.

about to give up and send in.

Scooter74

Oct 29, 2011
Think I may have found the problem (No thanks to ASUS Phone Tech - As soon as I described the problem he said, in a heavy accent - You need to send it in. I will send you an RMA number)

Ok I removed the 16 GB memory card (PNY Brand) and the unit now sleeps and wakes fine. When I re-install card the unit will not wake or if it does it does so once or twice.) The SD card cannot be formated nor will it let me run a scan disk action because it says the card is write protected.
I now have a 2GB SD card in the tablet and a fresh charge on the battery - it is waking and sleeping fine. I will leave it 'sleeping' all day today and then check the battery life. Previously it would lose maybe 15% - 20% in a day when left is sleep mode.

Now to take the SD card which is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, back to Walmart - I know this one is sick/dead.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Just an FYI, the microSD cards don't have a write protect tab but the SD cards do. It's a tiny little slider on the side. But, congrats on figuring out the problem before sending it for repair.