Want a Galaxy Tab...not sure if it's worth it

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
OK, I'm thinking of buying through T-Mobile, so I can get one for $250. However, I noticed that they have a 10.1 coming out next month. Then, I see the guestimated price is around $1,000. So, it's back to the 7" for me. I'm worried about a few things, though:

I'm hearing that Android tablets suck, because apps don't resize to the larger screens. Is this true? If so, is there some list of apps made specifically for tablets, so they size correctly? What is the battery life like? I'm seeing a ton of different apps for things like posting on facebook, twitter, etc. I would have thought that would just be done using Chrome. Do you have to use a specific app for each site? Is Chrome as hopelessly hamstrung on Android devices as the proliferation of specialized apps seems to suggest?

imekon

Jan 16, 2011
Most apps resize correctly on my Galaxy Tab. Some don't but they seem to be in a minority.

Battery life seems to be one or two days, depends how much you use wireless/GPS etc.

I have the on screen keyboard a bit weaker than iPhone, so I upgraded to the Gingerbread version - much better.

The browser isn't Chrome. It's readable in landscape mode. A lot of sites see it as a mobile device so you get a better display.

It does seem sluggish sometimes - seems background apps can influence this.

Pete Goodwin

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
Wow, I'm surprised it's not Chrome. Wasn't that one of the reasons for Chrome, so Google could have their own browser in Android?

Anyway, thanks for the info. That makes me feel MUCH better about buying one. Now, to decide if I should go ahead and get one, or wait for the Galaxy 2 to come out (I'm assuming the 7" version will be roughly the same cost)...

imekon

Jan 16, 2011
Do you want a 10" screen and faster processor or 7" screen? I'd prefer the smaller version, so I'm sticking with what I've got. Waiting to see if Gingerbread or Honeycomb get released for this device...

Pete on his Galaxy Tab

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
Well, what I read said the Galaxy 2 is coming in 10.1" AND 7" varieties. I would assume they would both have the faster processor, just different screen sizes. That's why I'm debating. Of course, there's been no price listed for either, just guestimations.

djjinx1

Dec 3, 2010
I would grab a 7" , they can be had pretty cheaply now. I love mine to bits.
Miren Browser is GREAT on the Tab and resizes everything perfectly.
The Tab really comes into its own though with a custom kernal and rom flash (I use Overcome from XDA)

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
a custom kernel? I know what I'm doing with computers, but I don't know THAT much what I'm doing (and this is actually my first non-Sony-Reader mobile device).

Orson

Feb 23, 2011
I would grab a 7" , they can be had pretty cheaply now. I love mine to bits.
Miren Browser is GREAT on the Tab and resizes everything perfectly.
The Tab really comes into its own though with a custom kernal and rom flash (I use Overcome from XDA)

Miren browser really is GREAT!

djjinx1

Dec 3, 2010
Ok be sure to read up on things over at XDA. Make sure you know what your doing before flashing anything. Its pretty simple but getting wrong will make things ALOT harder to fix..

First see if you have locked bootloaders in this thread (if you updated through kies you should be fine or havent updated before..

See here [25.01.2011] WARNING! Do not flash JM*,KA*... README! [Patch released, L/N supported] - xda-developers

Then read this then flash and see the super speedy Tab

Install this kernal first using odin choosing pda option..

[KERNEL] 26/Jan r3: MoDaCo Custom Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Tab - xda-developers

Then flash this kernal/rom via clockworkmod recovery

[ROM/KERNEL][GSM] ♫ Overcome v1.2.0 ♫ The Overcome Kernel has arrived! ♫ 2/25/2011 - xda-developers

This is for Euro GSM Tabs only

There are other CDMA etc Roms/Kernals on XDA but I dont read much about those....

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
Ok what is the reason for the new kernel? What functionality is it going to add to my tablet? Also, I'm in America. Is there a good kernel for use in the US?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

djjinx1

Dec 3, 2010
New kernal will greatly improve speed on the device especially combined with a great rom. It will also include clockworkmod recovery for easy flashing of rom's with 0% chance of breaking anything. T-Mobile can use GSM rom's + kernals , vzw and sprint use cdma kernals and roms.

There are a few great ones on xdadevelopers including overclocked kernals and custom roms

If you want to stay stock you can usually update easily through Samsung kies.

That would also improve things like browser lag and speed

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

newnick

Jan 23, 2011
I am planning to buy a second Galaxy Tab before it's replaced by the new generation. I Use it every day outside and before sleeping. And the 7 inches form factor is the biggest reason why I purchased it over ipad. For what and how I use it, the tab is fast and smooth enough. Wifi connection is almost instant and most apps are already resized to fit the 7 inches screen.

With the current price cut, the original galaxy tab is a great deal. I am not willing to spend $800 to $1000 to buy any tab. I dont think it's worth it as I can get a super spec laptop with that price tag. And the tablet just cannot replace a laptop ... not even close. But 250-450 seems a reasonable range.

The only concern to me is that I have to activcate the data plan for at least one month. But in fact I don't need that and it is a big waste of money. I am not sure how fast the wifi only version will hit the market. But if it's available, I would lean towrads the wifi only version assuming the price for the whole package is a little cheaper than the carrier branded versions.

Last edited:

G8GT.Dad

Mar 1, 2011
I am planning to buy a second Galaxy Tab before it's replaced by the new generation. I Use it every day outside and before sleeping. And the 7 inches form factor is the biggest reason why I purchased it over ipad. For what and how I use it, the tab is fast and smooth enough. Wifi connection is almost instant and most apps are already resized to fit the 7 inches screen.

With the current price cut, the original galaxy tab is a great deal. I am not willing to spend $800 to $1000 to buy any tab. I dont think it's worth it as I can get a super spec laptop with that price tag. And the tablet just cannot replace a laptop ... not even close. But 250-450 seems a reasonable range.

The only concern to me is that I have to activcate the data plan for at least one month. But in fact I don't need that and it is a big waste of money. I am not sure how fast the wifi only version will hit the market. But if it's available, I would lean towrads the wifi only version assuming the price for the whole package is a little cheaper than the carrier branded versions.

But I thought that you can get a "cheap" Galaxy in a subsidized arrangement in which case you are stuck in a contract for 2yrs. Am I wrong?

I like the Galaxy and would like to get one but if it costs the same or close to a Xoom or iPad then what is the point (besides the 7" screen)?

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Have you checked out the specs for new 10" tablet from Elocity the A10, has same hardware as Galaxy/Xoom , $399-$499 at Tiger direct, Tegra II , dual core processor & great video for gaming and HDMI Movies, lots of good features. You won't believe the screen specs, Higher resolution than the Big Boys too!
The eLocity A10 has a 10.1 inch capacitive multitouch display with a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, a 1 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual core processor, 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1.The tablet has 512MB of RAM, HDMI and USB ports, and a microSD card slot for expansion.

Last edited: