way to tether gtab with original Droid?

Landshark

Mar 30, 2011
i have a rooted Old School Droid, and have been searching for ways to tether to the Gtab - no dice with Wireless Tether using Bluetooth.

can't get a new phone until July!

i appreciate any help. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Landshark! I'm in the same boat as you (2 year contract on Droid until December). Here's is what I did, and it works fine:

(1) Installed Wireless Tether on the Droid (https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether). Note that it runs in ad-hoc mode, which the gTab normally can't see.

(2) Installed TNT Lite 4.4.0 on the gTab. This enables ad-hoc mode on the gTab, which can then see the Droid's wireless tether.

Of course, I haven't tried other ROMs, and I'm not sure which include the ad-hoc fix (or not).

-Matt

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Same boat here until October. I would like to keep using my current rom so I'm going to edit the supplicant.conf file. I also use the hydtec adhoc program from the market which simply copies a file to get this all to work and is good for the lazy people like myself. So far its worked on every tablet I've owned.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Jeff, last time I looked (it's been a month or so), "editing the supplicant" route on the Nook Color seemed to leave wifi a little wonky. I think people were having trouble with wifi turning on after sleep. Now first, this might be exactly how TNT Lite does it (I am clueless) but second, I was wondering if you've had that kind of problem with your tablets. I'd sure like to find a way around it for the Nook. (FWIW, it's not a problem for the gTAB.) Your thoughts?

-matt

Landshark

Mar 30, 2011
Same boat here until October. I would like to keep using my current rom so I'm going to edit the supplicant.conf file. I also use the hydtec adhoc program from the market which simply copies a file to get this all to work and is good for the lazy people like myself. So far its worked on every tablet I've owned.

i checked out the hydtec adhoc program, but it says you need to do the procedure with the ADB ( Android | HydTech ), but it seems a little over my head.

would you be able to explain how you did it a little clearer, please?

i have TnT - Enhanced on my gtab, and i just wanted to keep it simple, as this thing is mainly for my wife, but i will sometimes need it to get online away from home.

rsmcjr

Dec 18, 2010
i am looking at buying a GTab and i'm glad i found this thread. i bought my wife a Nook Color and it won't see an adhoc enviroment either, but i found that UD put out a CM7 based GB rom that has the adhoc fix built in and just noticed that they made a GTab version as well.... Viewsonic gTablet - The Ultimate Droid - Forums it works great on her NC so hopefully it will work as well on a GTab... so what do you think of your GTabs??? worth the money??

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
i am looking at buying a GTab and i'm glad i found this thread. i bought my wife a Nook Color and it won't see an adhoc enviroment either, but i found that UD put out a CM7 based GB rom that has the adhoc fix built in and just noticed that they made a GTab version as well.... Viewsonic gTablet - The Ultimate Droid - Forums it works great on her NC so hopefully it will work as well on a GTab... so what do you think of your GTabs??? worth the money??
Howdy rsmcjr! Another Nook Color (her), gTab (me) couple here. :) I'm really curious how the UD ROM will work on the gTab...if you give it a try please let us know how it goes.

ATM my wife is primarily using her NC as an eReader (go figure) so I haven't done much besides root it and get Google apps working. I really admire the screen and the compact size. But as a new gTab owner, it's clearly the better device for me: camera, microphone, USB slave+master, light sensor, etc. For just a few $'s more, the dual-core Tegra and the larger screen make me pretty happy. As you already know the viewing angles on the gTab are pretty meh, but it's a minor tradeoff.

-Matt

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Jeff, last time I looked (it's been a month or so), "editing the supplicant" route on the Nook Color seemed to leave wifi a little wonky. I think people were having trouble with wifi turning on after sleep. Now first, this might be exactly how TNT Lite does it (I am clueless) but second, I was wondering if you've had that kind of problem with your tablets. I'd sure like to find a way around it for the Nook. (FWIW, it's not a problem for the gTAB.) Your thoughts?

-matt

Thank you for bringing this up. On my Coby MID7015 as an example, it works perfectly with no ill effects and I even got it to the point where I can just run one of two scripts to switch the supplicant file. I tested this on the Gtab last night and didn't have that kind of luck. It took four attenpts to connect to my Droid and this happened every time I tried to switch over to adhoc. When I went into sleep mode a third time, it disconnected from wifi so I have to turn it off and on once. The good news is that everytime I switched the OG supplicant file back, everything worked fine again but no adhoc. Honestly to me, it is too much trouble for let's say a 30 minute lunch when it could take 5-10 minutes just to switch over. TNT lite in my opinion does it the best way but can leave wifi wonky (they added code so it will not ignore adhoc networks). Anytime I run any version of CM6 or CM7 (they take the same steps), it recognizes the adhoc right away but can "disable" itself after going into sleep mode. I guess if I had to pick one option to stick with, I would go with a rom that can recognize both networks such as TNT and just live with the fact it may switch off when sleeping. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case....

@Landshark - I was able to do it on the Gtab without ADB but I did use root explorer to access the system files. (ADB just makes the process much easier) If you still want to give it a shot after reading the information above, I will post instructions.

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Howdy rsmcjr! Another Nook Color (her), gTab (me) couple here. :) I'm really curious how the UD ROM will work on the gTab...if you give it a try please let us know how it goes.

ATM my wife is primarily using her NC as an eReader (go figure) so I haven't done much besides root it and get Google apps working. I really admire the screen and the compact size. But as a new gTab owner, it's clearly the better device for me: camera, microphone, USB slave+master, light sensor, etc. For just a few $'s more, the dual-core Tegra and the larger screen make me pretty happy. As you already know the viewing angles on the gTab are pretty meh, but it's a minor tradeoff.

-Matt

I almost went with the nook but the features and overall hardware led me to the Gtab instead. Other than the viewing angles, I have no other complaints about the gtab. I did try to install UD 3.1 but got bootloops.(triedtwice) I would love to try the new UD 3.2 but want someone else to try it this time around. If anyone does make the attempt, please let us all know...I loved UD on my OG droid!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
TNT lite in my opinion does it the best way but can leave wifi wonky (they added code so it will not ignore adhoc networks).
I'm glad you followed up...I appreciate figuring out what's happening under the hood. :)

For me, I hadn't even thought about adhoc when I installed TNT Lite. It was probably a day or two after, and I wondered, "Hmmm, will my Droid's wifi tether show up?" Sure enough, it did and worked great. Then I realized, "Oh, must be a supplicant fix in there!"

Here's the interesting part: you said "can leave wifi wonky" but so far, I don't think I've had any trouble on the gTab with wifi. I've tried two settings, either (1) on when plugged in, or (2) off when screen is off, and both seem to work fine. When I turn the screen on, either wifi is running (1) or about 10-15 seconds later it's reconnected. I haven't had to turn wifi on/off like I did with the Nook.

So the next step for me is to figure out why the combination seems to be an idiot-proof solution in my case (not that I'm complaining...I'd just like to know in case I switch ROMs). Any suggestions?

-Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I would love to try the new UD 3.2 but want someone else to try it this time around. If anyone does make the attempt, please let us all know...I loved UD on my OG droid!
YEAH, exactly what ^he said! :)

Jeff...ever-so-slightly off topic: I noticed my Droid gets pretty toasty when I use wifi tether (38-42 degrees C). Definitely hot/very warm to the touch. What's your experience like, and is that a concern?

-Matt

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
YEAH, exactly what ^he said! :)

Jeff...ever-so-slightly off topic: I noticed my Droid gets pretty toasty when I use wifi tether (38-42 degrees C). Definitely hot/very warm to the touch. What's your experience like, and is that a concern?

-Matt

What are you clocked at and what governor are you using? I'm running a private release GB rom from Liquid and noticed that the whole rom runs that way unless I switch the governor to ondemand instead of interactive and scale the CPU back to 800-900 MHz. When I run my favorite rom which is UD 2.5, wifi tether doesn't affect the temperature a whole lot and I'm set to 1ghz using the interactive governor. Long story short, try looking at the CPU settings on your Droid.... You might have to change the scaling when tethering to keep the heat down. It has been said up to 80c is as high as you should go but I have mine set to go no higher than 50c to be safe.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What are you clocked at and what governor are you using? I'm running a private release GB rom from Liquid and noticed that the whole rom runs that way unless I switch the governor to ondemand instead of interactive and scale the CPU back to 800-900 MHz. When I run my favorite rom which is UD 2.5, wifi tether doesn't affect the temperature a whole lot and I'm set to 1ghz using the interactive governor. Long story short, try looking at the CPU settings on your Droid.... You might have to change the scaling when tethering to keep the heat down. It has been said up to 80c is as high as you should go but I have mine set to go no higher than 50c to be safe.
Running Pete's GB (GPA13). Max speed is 1000MHz, ondemand governor. Normally runs around 28-30C. I think I also have SetCPU set to switch to conservative at 50C.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look at scaling back the speed. I have a bad habit of running Quadrant with new kernels at the high end, and then forgetting to set back CPU speed to something less severe. I think I ended up leaving the Droid at 1000MHz since the screen transitions and redraws (Launcherpro) have been perfect. But doesn't GB have GPU optimizations? If so, maybe 800MHz (which is what I was running rooted stock Froyo anyway) will be fine.

-Matt

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
I'm glad you followed up...I appreciate figuring out what's happening under the hood. :)

For me, I hadn't even thought about adhoc when I installed TNT Lite. It was probably a day or two after, and I wondered, "Hmmm, will my Droid's wifi tether show up?" Sure enough, it did and worked great. Then I realized, "Oh, must be a supplicant fix in there!"

Here's the interesting part: you said "can leave wifi wonky" but so far, I don't think I've had any trouble on the gTab with wifi. I've tried two settings, either (1) on when plugged in, or (2) off when screen is off, and both seem to work fine. When I turn the screen on, either wifi is running (1) or about 10-15 seconds later it's reconnected. I haven't had to turn wifi on/off like I did with the Nook.

So the next step for me is to figure out why the combination seems to be an idiot-proof solution in my case (not that I'm complaining...I'd just like to know in case I switch ROMs). Any suggestions?

-Matt

That is very interesting....I will have to pull a few files from the TNT lite build and will try to find out how they did it without having any connection issues. Although this could be more than just a weekend project, I would just like to come up with a permanent solution that can be used with any rom!

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Running Pete's GB (GPA13). Max speed is 1000MHz, ondemand governor. Normally runs around 28-30C. I think I also have SetCPU set to switch to conservative at 50C.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look at scaling back the speed. I have a bad habit of running Quadrant with new kernels at the high end, and then forgetting to set back CPU speed to something less severe. I think I ended up leaving the Droid at 1000MHz since the screen transitions and redraws (Launcherpro) have been perfect. But doesn't GB have GPU optimizations? If so, maybe 800MHz (which is what I was running rooted stock Froyo anyway) will be fine.

-Matt

NP, I have the same habit of taking it to the max at first too! You could run it at 800mhz because GB will handle the load much better than froyo would have but does eat up more ram at boot.