Week 1 with the Galaxy 10.1

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
After a month with the Verizon Xoom, they have now graciously provided me with a Galaxy 10.1 for another month of testing. I am not sure that going from the Xoom to the Galaxy was the right direction to go in, but we will have to see.

Let’s start with the basic design. I can certainly understand why Apple is in such a snit over the Galaxy. Design-wise, this is the closest I have found to getting it right in look at feel. Thin, sexy and very nice on the surface. Again though with the power cord on the bottom of the tablet, same as I already talked about with the Xoom. C’mon people, put it on the side so you can have it in landscape mode on the charger (and don’t tell me “turn it upside down”). Also, I am sure I will adjust but the power button is simply too close in placement and feel to the volume rocker. I keep turning it off when I am trying to adjust the volume.

Since we have covered form, let’s chat about function. All I can say here is Verizon has done their part in getting an actual 4G device out there (which does scream on a tablet), Samsung has completely dropped the ball however on their build. No Netflix support? I have device that can actually stream the content but no way to watch it, hmmmm. Also, there just is no way TouchWiz is worth NOT having the 3.2 update, sorry, it isn’t. It is a nice add on to have, but it is not like there is a whole special UI as it sits, let’s get a move on and get the software out there. Right now I am really hoping that the update will come before I have to send this one back so that I can see what it is really like.

Finally, accessories. I spent the weekend looking for a case and some other items for the Galaxy and right now it seems that there really is a larger selection for the Xoom available. While this has nothing to do with the tab itself, it does factor into the choice.

Bottom line, I was really sorry to have to send back the Xoom, I am hoping it is just a little bit of that in getting used to a different tablet and in another week I will love this one too. I will let you know!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
That version of the app does not actually work on the 10.1.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Android Tablet Forum

britinva

Jun 30, 2011
Well all I can say is I have Netflix working on mine - can't say use it much to comment on how it works thou

rickio

May 14, 2011
Works on my galaxy tab. Watched 2 movies this morning on it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
works on my google io wifi - now i have heard a number of anecdotes where netflix does not work and the common theme were tabs from carriers - could it be Verizon blocking Netflix?

Works on my galaxy tab. Watched 2 movies this morning on it.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yep. I have the Verizon version, which is why it doesn't work.

angelinaS31

Sep 30, 2011
Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 is the first honeycomb tablet we can say, it is the coolest looking honeycomb tablet i can say.