Welcome to the Huawei MediaPad Forum

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
Welcome to the Huawei MediaPad forum -- the Huawei MediaPad was announced today and looks to have some great hardware specs and of course is set to include Android 3.2 as the base OS.

JackJack

Dec 10, 2010
Sure, The Huawei S7, S7 Slim look good.
I think the 3rd tablet product of Huawei--MediaPad-- is very much better than S7 and S7 Slim.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think if Huawei really wants to be successful with this they will need accessories available on release, proof they plan to support their product.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Agreed. They now have a reputation for abandoning their products. Lack of communication hurts them. I doubt I would buy another huawei tablet.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
Yup. Not buying it until there are accessories available AND they've officially released at least one update for my market.

Those who purchased the original S7 from Best Buy in the United States STILL do not officially have Froyo and likely never will. Yeah, the Indo ROM works perfectly, but Huawei tried pretty hard to prevent us from getting our hands on it. Updates only in service centers? Are you kidding me?

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Yup. Not buying it until there are accessories available AND they've officially released at least one update for my market.

Those who purchased the original S7 from Best Buy in the United States STILL do not officially have Froyo and likely never will. Yeah, the Indo ROM works perfectly, but Huawei tried pretty hard to prevent us from getting our hands on it. Updates only in service centers? Are you kidding me?

I won't say it works perfectly.

There are still plenty of times when I can't see apps in the market that I should see. HBO GO doesn't work for me even though it did on 2.1. I may try Brazil soon.

I'm not knitpicking...I'm actually agreeing that there's no 100% substitute for an actual US version.

Ftking

Jun 22, 2011
I feel as if Huawei has abandoned the users in the USA. I read on these threads regarding updates for other countries, but nothing for the USA. I love my Andoid phone and hoped that this tablet would be a user friendly as my phone. I and a significant number of people do NOT want to become techies to use a tablet. My communications with the company are a waste of time since they keep telling me they do NOT comment on releases, and to just keep checking their web site. I vcan better undrstand the success of the Apple tablet if people have issues with tablet companies such as Huawei.

Ftking

Jun 22, 2011
Welcome to the Huawei MediaPad forum -- the Huawei MediaPad was announced today and looks to have some great hardware specs and of course is set to include Android 3.2 as the base OS.

Given Huawie's history of no updates to their tablets here in the USA, anyone purcahsing these tablets needs to buy them "as is". I have used the S7 tablet at meetings and coffee shops and people think it is a great size, and seem very interested in the product. I have advised them of the issues with updates, and accessories and general issues. I would hope Huawei starts servicing the USA market.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I really don't feel any hostility toward Huawei, in fact I have learned a lot about Android dealing with the S7, and I can't honestly say companies like Samsung have been that much more concerned about their customers. One major problem Huawei has had to deal with is creating a distribution network in America.There was a reply from Huawei regarding accessories that stated (and I'm paraphrasing here) that they have no retail arm to sell through so a North American retailer would have to carry and sell the accessories in order for them to become available. What I'm saying is this lack of accessories is really the fault of the retailers who chose to offer the tablet, such as Bestbuy and Radio Shack.What Huawei needs to do to be successful in the tablet market in the long term is get commitments from resellers to carry not
only their tablets but accessories as well, and offer the devices as top tier, not affordable alternatives.

Just a thought...
Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

JackJack

Dec 10, 2010
Yes, no update, bad hardware and software.
Everything horrific even in my eyes.
As a person very close to this company this produce.

BUT, everything change very fast. Everything bad in this China company except Rapid Change.
I am not say MediaPad is good or bad.

But everybody, you can just put some minutes on this produce, on this company, to see what happend next step.

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
I really don't feel any hostility toward Huawei, in fact I have learned a lot about Android dealing with the S7, and I can't honestly say companies like Samsung have been that much more concerned about their customers. One major problem Huawei has had to deal with is creating a distribution network in America.There was a reply from Huawei regarding accessories that stated (and I'm paraphrasing here) that they have no retail arm to sell through so a North American retailer would have to carry and sell the accessories in order for them to become available. What I'm saying is this lack of accessories is really the fault of the retailers who chose to offer the tablet, such as Bestbuy and Radio Shack.What Huawei needs to do to be successful in the tablet market in the long term is get commitments from resellers to carry not
only their tablets but accessories as well, and offer the devices as top tier, not affordable alternatives.

Just a thought...
That's a load of BS.

Direct sales? DealExtreme? Fleabay? Oh yeah - it's brain-dead simple to get Amazon to sell stuff for you. Lack of accessories in the United States a lame excuse, that's all it is. I can understand lack of brick-and-mortar accessories, this DOES require a robust distribution network - but having NO availability whatsoever, not even online-order, is inexcusable. It takes almost no effort to set up a warehouse somewhere to ship online orders, or partner with someone (like Amazon) who does. Fenix Flashlights is a fraction of the size of Huawei but they seem to have no trouble whatsoever getting Amazon to sell their products directly. (Fenix is an example of a Chinese company that actually understands how to market to residents of the United States...)

There's also the fact that Huawei has given ZERO post-sales support to USA customers in terms of software:

1) 3G support in the US was severely broken in the original 2.1 firmware. The baseband firmware in the Indo/Norway 2.2 Froyo releases fixed these problems, but this was NEVER officially fixed in the USA. I'll give Huawei a little bit of credit here - The Best Buy S7 was never marketed explicitly as having 3G support.
2) No Froyo update for US customers. US customers never saw anything except for the initial 2.1 release. Even more annoying was Huawei's "service center only" tactics with Indo 2.2 to control distribution of the update. Apparently Huawei spun some BS excuse about carrier approval in the US - They seem to have forgotten that they NEVER marketed the S7 as 3G-capable (see 1) ) in the USA, and NEVER sold the device through carriers - only directly through Best Buy and apparently Radio Shack.
3) Pouring salt in the Froyo update wound - just when the Indo 2.2 ROM hit, Huawei discontinued the USA S7s and started selling the Slim. "Want Froyo - buy new hardware!" - Screw you Huawei.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I would have to say they have certainly lost you as a future customer, and I would guess there are an awful lot of people that feel the same way. Even with all this baggage I am still willing to take a close look at the Mediapad, if only because 7" Honeycomb Tablet options are limited and my personal experience with my S7 was, and in a way still is, positive. I also was one who used the S7 running 2.1 with a prepaid data plan with no trouble, but I never tried both voice and data.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
@TomT, I was also one of the early adopters of the S7 and, while I agree that Huawei screwed up with their lack of support for this tablet, they did manage to put together a very well built tablet. I have two of the s7's and have one set up with the indonesian Rom. Overclocked to 995 MHz. I use AT&T voice and data with it and have no major problems with it except for poor battery life. Compustore sells batteries and cases online as well as chargers. Still no sign of the elusive dock but Bluetooth wireless works for the keyboard.
I will have a look at the mediapad when it hits the market and if it is as well built as the S7, I may give it a try. There is a great deal of work going on at xda for custom roms and we have CWR as well.
Anyone who wants to get rid of their S7 can PM me and we may work something out. I hate to see anyone unhappy with their tablet...
Just saying....

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It occurs to me that what Huawei did to get into the tablet market was build a really big phone, something they knew. As a tablet it was a bit generic, but in most the right ways. Because it was a phone, market access was not a problem. They used a good processor making it compatible with almost everything. Even the standard resolution helped in this regard. The only real downside of the S7 was the battery, but the fact that it is removable makes it somewhat forgiveable. Some people may fault the resistive screen but frankly I think it works rather well; of course I also have fond memories of the Palm, WindowsCE, and Psion devices. You absolutely don't need to use a stylus with the S7, but I love the fact that you can. I even have one that is a stylus, laser pointer, flashlight and ink pen in one. How cool is that?