Welcome to the ViewPad 7X Forum!

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
With the rumors picking up for Viewsonic's new 7" Honeycomb tablet, we felt it was time for a dedicated Viewpad 7X Forum!

Who's considering one of these tablets?

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
With the rumors picking up for Viewsonic's new 7" Honeycomb tablet, we felt it was time for a dedicated Viewpad 7X Forum!

I have to say that I'm VERY curious about a 7" Honeycomb Tablet. If the preliminary suggestions are correct and this is in the low $300's, I may very well have to cough up the extra cash on this one.

keijames

Dec 10, 2010

I really want viewsonic release VIEWPAD 7 2.3 gingerbread ROM, althrough current 2.2 ROM with overclock (~860mhz) is very good.

PiemJi

Jun 4, 2011

The hardware specs seem adequate (well, the specs that were given). No info about bundled software. The SPB Shell 3D is an interesting attraction, but so is the new Honeycomb interface... and I wonder if plain Honeycomb home screens are useable or blocked by the SPB launcher. What software is bundled with the 7x? Will they include Docs-to-Go (like they do with the Vpad 7).

I would consider this tablet if it comes with some productivity software (not just entertainment stuff) and if it's priced right.

artdoll

Dec 18, 2010
It is June already...no more info yet that I can find. Definitely want one. Love the 7 size (I have a no-name now that will not play videos at all )and cant wait for a honeycomb!

pope_face

Jun 27, 2011
I've been looking at getting a tablet for about a month now, and I'm definitely interested in this as well, although for different reasons than PiemJi... I need something that's primarily entertainment-oriented (mostly audio) that can surf the internet and handle ebooks and video. I know that covers most (if not all) current tablets, but given the hardware and/or software on current sub-$400 tablets, I haven't committed to one yet... I've even tried the Viewpad 7, and while I like the build, I can't stand the OS. It just refuses to cooperate with me.

Given the proposed specs (and depending on how it feels), if the 7X comes in under $400, I'll give it some serious consideration. If it's closer to $300, it's pretty much guaranteed. I'm more excited for the screen resolution, HDMI, and processor more than anything else... I'd like to be able to dual-boot Ubuntu on it as well (they've got some Tegra support, and I hope they continue work on it), without having to pay $700 for the Viewpad 10 (or 10 Pro, which I understand won't run "real" Android, but rather a "skin/emulation" over Windows).

I just can't wait for the release day... Does anyone know if the Computex 2011 "reveal" was of a finished version, or just a prototype? I'm just curious if we're waiting for a release in terms of days (or a few weeks) vs a few months.

morrokoy

Nov 7, 2010
We know the quality of construction of Viewsonic. All for one reason or other stops us the price. We hope to receive good news and that is as soon as possible

morrokoy

Nov 7, 2010
It is not,not too long ago that i have the tablet, and i have not had time to squeeze all their possibilities

pope_face

Jun 27, 2011
Looks like release is slated for August in Japan, and later in the year for the US, although hopefully not much later. Going by the one article I read, the price looks to be about $450-$500 in Japan, but hopefully lower here.

Linky: Viewsonic Viewpad 7x, first 7 inch Honeycomb tablet, will launch soon

I was really hoping to see this as a sub-$400 tablet... There's plenty of $400+ tablets on the market (although not many running Honeycomb), so they've got some direct competition there. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

DKspokane

Aug 15, 2011
I have the Viewpad7 and LOVE it. Just one question: What 'data' plan is everyone using? I like T-mobile's "day pass" but it's only EDGE, and when an AT&T sales clerk put his Blackberry Torch SIM into mine, we were getting 3G+ speeds ... even the clerk was amazed. He said it was faster than his iPad. And he was playing video off CNET Sports extremely well. Any thoughts?

jsimonson0

Sep 23, 2011
Looks like release is slated for August in Japan, and later in the year for the US, although hopefully not much later. Going by the one article I read, the price looks to be about $450-$500 in Japan, but hopefully lower here.

Linky: Viewsonic Viewpad 7x, first 7 inch Honeycomb tablet, will launch soon

I was really hoping to see this as a sub-$400 tablet... There's plenty of $400+ tablets on the market (although not many running Honeycomb), so they've got some direct competition there. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

If the 7x is an unlocked phone just like the 7, then it won't be sub-$400; it'll be in the $700+ range. The unlocked phone piece drives the price up, as it's small enough to be carried in a purse or briefcase.

Hopefully it will be a data-only device, then the price could be pretty decent. Though keep in mind that the A100 is a wifi-only device, and it sells for ~$350. Wifi + 3g or 4g will be closer to $500, methinks.