Well.... got my new Onda Vi40 Elite today, but how do I get it to work?

Scrubmuncher

May 6, 2012
Well, I am having so much trouble finding a UK based vendor of the ONDA Vi40 Elite, does anyone know where there is one?

I am not going throught the return to china at own expemse scenario

mrtim

May 9, 2012
i'm having to return mine,just totally non responsive.such a shame,its a lovely looking tab

curlylu

May 11, 2012
I must apologise to Ebellking for my over reaction after reading the nightmare stories online. Actually this guys customer service is great, I completely over reacted on it from others experiences.
He has refunded me in full before I even get the unit posted tomorrow which is very nice indeed. So I will infact get two lots of refund and then have to send him back the refunded money that paypal send me once the case is complete.
So my overall experience is he has been extremely helpful, i have a UK returns address, his direct email and he has been in constant contact while he has paid this money into my paypal account. So I'm quite content. I can even go out now and buy a fully functioning unit, from a shop this time.
Which is a huge headache all over again. It's a shame as I really like the aluminium and the shape of it, it is a nice looking solid unit, just doesn't work and left a bit of a nasty taste, unfortunately.

How did you manage to get a response from them. I purchased a tablet from them in feb which is now faulty. I have emailed and messaged through their site, but no response.

MikeStan

Apr 17, 2012
I switched it on, and have the little Android guy bobbing up and down, but no further. I plugged it into my laptop, and it downloaded 3 things and then said ready to use, still no change on the tablet, just a little green Android guy bobbing about.
I can't find any instruction guide and so I am absolutely stuck.
Can someone help me please, ASAP.
Thanks

Hey Muncher,

If you're still having problems (and still have the unit obv. then i'd do a few things; first switch the unit off by holding the power button for 5 secs and then leaving the unit alone for 10 mins. then plug it in to the mains, again, not touching anything, and leave overnight. the next morning hold down the power button for a few seconds until the screen comes on (PRESS NOTHING ELSE) and see if you get a boot.

if nothing then i'd advise re-flashing. this guy has written a custom firmware that i can confirm runs prefectly on my 8GB v3 unit and as long as you follow his insructions to the letter it's a pretty simple process!

Onda Vi40 Elite - Top Notch Tablets Custom Firmware V9 - SlateDroid.com

hope this helps or you at least have got a new working unit, it's a great little tablet when working!

macthecat

May 16, 2012
Well, I am having so much trouble finding a UK based vendor of the ONDA Vi40 Elite, does anyone know where there is one?

I am not going throught the return to china at own expemse scenario

I experienced a similar fate to you but with Ipadalternatives.com they were realy unhelpful, anyway I have just taken delivery of a new onda vi 40 elite I bought it of amazon from a shop in leeds called seenitpriceit, they were realy great; answered all my questions immediately really helpful included a uk spec charger for free (in addition to us spec one and an adapter) delivered free within 24 hrs of placing order, a stress free process. I been testing it for the last few hours and I am very impressed hooked on to my wifi no probs upgraded to play store straight away. only problem I have encountered is the that manual is in chineese, anyone know where to get an english translation?

Last edited:

macthecat

May 16, 2012
I switched it on, and have the little Android guy bobbing up and down, but no further. I plugged it into my laptop, and it downloaded 3 things and then said ready to use, still no change on the tablet, just a little green Android guy bobbing about.
I can't find any instruction guide and so I am absolutely stuck.
Can someone help me please, ASAP.
Thanks

Ok Scrubmuncher I've had the same problem as you, sorry it's taken so long to post but it's only started today I booted up the home screen flashed on briefly then the bobbing android, tried and couple of quick fixes with no success. So I bite the bullet and flashed my tablet, I got the firmware from here ONDA Vi40 Elite | Android 4.0 - 9.7" IPS Tablet - Tablet PC on the download page; there plenty of guides how to flsh and its not too hard just folow the guides. Hey presto my tablet booted up, only problem the language had changed to chinese; after a bit of fiddling I manged to change back to english and worked from there the V1.1 firmware seems smoother than the stock installation still can't get all the apps I wanted but it would seem that that is a common problem there are many custom firewares that allow a different mix of apps to be installed but none seem to allow all it's seems to get better with each new release, anyway I hope this helps you with your problem it certainly fixed mine.

Good luck mate
macthecat

ChinaJoe

May 21, 2012
Hello,
I also have a VI40 and I love it. I happen to be living in China and I purchased my tablet from a local vendor.
The first thing that you need to do is make sure the tables is OFF completely and then plug in the wall charger and let it charge Completely.
When you have it charging you can briefly push the start-up button and you will see a battery and it will tell you how much charge there is.
After your tablet is fully charged turn it on and continue using it until the battery is completely drained (the tablet will shut of on it's own).
Then completely recharge the battery and you should be good to go.
After the initial charge and drain you can charge or use without the full drain/charge routine.

I hope this helps,
Joe

liewananda

May 29, 2012
you have to power off your device completely. When the green android keeps on popping up and down , it means that your device is still on. Unplug the device from the wall plug and long press the device power button until the green android disappears. Then plug in your device to the wall plug. You will be able to see the green battery showing that it is charging

Scrubmuncher

May 6, 2012
How did you manage to get a response from them. I purchased a tablet from them in feb which is now faulty. I have emailed and messaged through their site, but no response.

Well I spoke too soon, this good customer care has turned into a deal that is still trying to put me out of pocket for a unit that I could not use returned to china and now am expected to front his costs, which we actually agreed it would not. The guy is a fraud, he firstly told me to send the unit to his uk office, where it came from, but after speaking to PayPal was advised to send it back to his registered where aborts, in china, which cost me £45 in total costs and postage.
This is a one man show who pretends to be various people and actually be a functioning company, he has alias of Clare, he calls himself Peter on the phone and in emails but his email address is Vincent. I am not sure if I can post email addresses on this forum so I'll put it on another post so the mods can delete that without deleting this post also if need be.
although I expect it will be changed pretty quick once up.

Mamahnita

Nov 27, 2011
To me It sounded like some one tryed to root it and messed up some where. And thats just my thoughts not saying it was and not tring to speak bad about anybody either but from the sound of it it was missing the os.

yakzil

Jun 9, 2012
Hi

I have a Onda Vi40 Elite which I bought off an Ebay seller in the UK. My advice would be to flash another ROM. The TNT rom is a good one (it and the site gives an easy to follow set of instructions How to Upgrade the Onda Vi40 Elite | Top Notch Tablets. What you should check first is what version your tablet is. Look at the serial number on the box or the back of the machine roughly in the middle you will see V1 or V3. They have different firmwares. If you have V3 you are good to go with the TNT firmware. Make sure your tablet is fully charged and follow the instructions. When the tablet boots up you will see a lock screen, touch the centre icon and drag it to the right (unlock position). If you send it back to China it cost you money and you are in a bit of a difficult place if it doesn't come back ! I would definitely try flashing before sending it back to China.

yakzil

Jun 9, 2012
Hi

Should have added do not have the charger plugged in if you flash a new rom. For some reason Onda do not recommend charging the tablet from the computer usb, they say you should always use the wall charger,