What are the benefits of CM7 vs AutoNooter?

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
I am currently running AutoNooter which I gather is based on Android 2.1 ... I remember when I went from 2.1 to 2.2 on my HTC Evo... big improvement. I see that CM7 is based on 2.3.3 ...

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going from AutoNooter to CM7?

If I was going to do that, would I go from AutoNooter to factory to CM7 or would I be better going directly from AutoNooter to CM7?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'm not having any particular problems with AutoNooter, just missing some of the niceties of Froyo (Gmail upgrades etc).

Thanks,
Doug

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ODE you can test drive it here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Advantages include: speed, bluetooth, flash, tablet tweaks (soft android buttons honeycomb style), the ability to move the info bar top or bottom, basically all the same things you might expect from froyo. On top of that you get a nice tablet style set of features with CM7 and the bluetooth though.

Edit: Oh and disadvantages are losing B&N functionality specific to the Nook like magazines and Read to Me.

JP

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
not to mention the smooth video playback - not talking just about youtube but movies you've converted and loaded into your nook - a thread over at XDA describes a degradation of video playback with the 1.2 upgrade.
the other advantage i see is a very snappy responsive touch experience (based on my using the 1.3GHz OC)

ODE you can test drive it here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Advantages include: speed, bluetooth, flash, tablet tweaks (soft android buttons honeycomb style), the ability to move the info bar top or bottom, basically all the same things you might expect from froyo. On top of that you get a nice tablet style set of features with CM7 and the bluetooth though.

Edit: Oh and disadvantages are losing B&N functionality specific to the Nook like magazines and Read to Me.

JP

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Also, it doesn't matter what your current version is...if you want to go to CM7 that is. Since it is a complete custom ROM, it will wipe out the B&N installed OS anyway.

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
As I said in another post, CyanogenMod has such a huge backing, you will never lack in support or help.

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
not to mention the smooth video playback - not talking just about youtube but movies you've converted and loaded into your nook - a thread over at XDA describes a degradation of video playback with the 1.2 upgrade.

So are you saying that the newly released 1.2 B&N update which includes Froyo "breaks" video playback? Or were you referring to something different there with the reference to 1.2?

Thanks,
Doug

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
there were some reports of video stuttering on videos that were converted/transcoded - for example converting a dvd to mp4 or avi plays great on CM7 - inconsistent on 1.2

So are you saying that the newly released 1.2 B&N update which includes Froyo "breaks" video playback? Or were you referring to something different there with the reference to 1.2?

Thanks,
Doug

ehong

May 3, 2011

JP

I had used autonooter 3.0 on NC 1.1.0 version and the put in the OC kernel in the EMMC but I can still access native Nook reader application via home switcher. So I have both the Android 2.1 tablet and the ability to get my B&N magazine and read to me. I tried the CM7 in SD mode and I lost that capability, if I put the CM7 OC kernel in the EMMC, will that retain the native Nook ereader and allow me to read the magazine just as I have now with autonooter and OC kernel in EMMC?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I had used autonooter 3.0 on NC 1.1.0 version and the put in the OC kernel in the EMMC but I can still access native Nook reader application via home switcher. So I have both the Android 2.1 tablet and the ability to get my B&N magazine and read to me. I tried the CM7 in SD mode and I lost that capability, if I put the CM7 OC kernel in the EMMC, will that retain the native Nook ereader and allow me to read the magazine just as I have now with autonooter and OC kernel in EMMC?

No, anything other than rooted B&N ROMs will remove the ability to use the "special" Nook features. The only thing you can keep at this time is the ability to read books by using the B&N app which is in the Market.

JP

ehong

May 3, 2011
No, anything other than rooted B&N ROMs will remove the ability to use the "special" Nook features. The only thing you can keep at this time is the ability to read books by using the B&N app which is in the Market.

JP

Thanks. So I guess I will have to wait for the autonooter 4.0 and root it with NC 1.2 and then put in the Android 2.2 OC kernel. BTW, I have backed up my Android 2.1 apps with Titanium backup and can I restore those apps when I go to Android 2.2 or CM7?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks. So I guess I will have to wait for the autonooter 4.0 and root it with NC 1.2 and then put in the Android 2.2 OC kernel. BTW, I have backed up my Android 2.1 apps with Titanium backup and can I restore those apps when I go to Android 2.2 or CM7?

Sounds like that's what you need to do if you want to keep those functions. TB can resotre your apps or you can download the apps again and just use TB to restore the app data to ensure the app is compatible with the Android version you are running.

If you want to try another ROM but keep your B&N functions you can try a bootable ROM like this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

JP

ehong

May 3, 2011
Sounds like that's what you need to do if you want to keep those functions. TB can resotre your apps or you can download the apps again and just use TB to restore the app data to ensure the app is compatible with the Android version you are running.

If you want to try another ROM but keep your B&N functions you can try a bootable ROM like this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

JP

JP, thanks again. Yes, I have tried that with bootable CM7 OC in SD. That's an excellent setup except that I lost my B&N function with bootable CM7 SD. I subscribe to Nook WSJ magazine and I really don't like to reboot again in order to read my nook magazine. When the autonooter 4.0 comes out, I'll give it a try and put the CM7 in eMMC to see if I can retain B&N functionality since I will have to revert back to stock and upgrade to 1.2 anyway. Not that I don't trust your words, it's that I just have to try it myself to see. ;-)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Any word on when AutoNooter v4 might come out?

Thanks,
Doug

It looks like there are hang ups with the Market and Gapps that need to be resovled first so that the nooter process works correctly for registration with Google. Then somebody will have to turn that into an autonooter.

They are close so it could come at any time or this could be one of those things that takes a while.

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Then somebody will have to turn that into an autonooter.

Ok, I'm going to show my noobness with this question... What is the difference between "nooter" and "autonooter" ? And I'm guessing that "to nooter" is the same as a "manual nooter?" And the term nooter, is that just a play on words i.e. Rooting a Nook... i.e. Nooter? Or does that term have a different meaning than rooting?

Gawd this is making me feel like an ID-10t ... The way I phrased the questions above ... reminds me of how my mum would ask a question... Gawd.

Sorry and thanks...
Doug

Last edited: