What did I install?!?!

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
over the last couple of days I've been getting a notification popping up on my notification area that is basically spam...win a free ipad, get a free $1000 best buy coupon, etc. The notification itself is star shaped. I installed Lookout and it found nothing awry but that's not really surprising.

Has anyone else seen this? I don't know what I installed that brought this along but it's infuriating. Death to spammers!

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
fixed! i did a bit of further research and found it to be a recent update to the app Tablet Wallpapers, which WAS my favorite such app. It seemed to me to be very much like wallbase.net, which is also good...I liked it because you could just scroll and scroll and new pics would be added to the bottom of the page rather than having to hit an arrow to go to the next page. Oh well...bye bye! I never write reviews but they're getting slammed about this on the Market...I wanted to add my voice to the cacophany and contribute to the lowering of their rating. Keep Our Tablets Clean!!!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You never write reviews, but it pays to read them.
Especially when an update for an app comes thru stating it needs new permissions.

I'm frankly amazed Google allowed this at all, since ads are supposed to appear within the app itself, not in Android space.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
evidently there's a lot of them popping up...lame!

and, yeah, i read reviews all the time before i install something but not so often when it gets updated...once bitten, twice shy!

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Had the same thing happen when I installed Uno for the kids. Dumped it about a week later. I have the same problem on my Droid X2, I just can't figure out which app brought the spam.
Is there a way to tell w/o having to uninstall everyone of them?

Bigstevetabs

Feb 21, 2012
It's usually the wall paper apps that do it. I had some on my evo and once I deleted them the annoying notifications went away

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Android Tablet Forum

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Install an air push detector and some AV apps look for these spams apps-

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum