What Does "Low on Space" mean?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Well, I know what it means, but what's the practical meaning of that?

Out of 175MB total, there is 13 MB left. Should I start sweating? It looks to me that I can still keep on using my tab, but just try not to record a lot of video or audio, unless I know for sure that it's going to be saved on the external card.

At what point (how low) would you stop to remove those memory-hogs and free up the space?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You need to read through the Apps2SD and Link2SD Thread. Your issue is about where your apps are installing, which on the Huawei is to a 175Mb partition. you have lots of space on your internal SD card if you have one of the models that came with it, and you can add a MicroSD card for more space.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Be warned that the APPS2SD is not necessarily for the faint of heart (requires root access and special partitioning of the onboard/microSD memory using a command line interface). But if you are game, here are some links (the threads reside in the S7 development subforum):

Apps2sd: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-ideos-s7-development/5362-prj-apps2sd-discussion.html First post should have all necessary steps collated - browse the thread for tidbits and anecdotes by people who tried the mod so you can see potential pitfalls.

Link2SD: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-ideos-s7-development/7294-alternative-app2sd-link2sd.html Perhaps easier to set up and probably more stable/robust than apps2sd, but maybe slightly more limited in its implementation (i.e., less potential to free up the as much memory than apps2sd and app post-update maintenance is required).

I could be wrong regarding my characterizations of the above - but there has to be some reason people prefer one vs. the other. I will edit accordingly as actual users post their corrections below.

A third clunkier but simpler workaround is to root your device and purchase and install titanium backup where you can uninstall and backup infrequently used apps to your SD card.

To clarify Pete's post above - what you are running into is the dreaded app active memory limitation associated with Android versions before 2.2. You only have 175MB or so of application memory to play with on the S7 (the rest of your RAM is consumed by the OS and built-in "stock" apps that reside in separate partition - other devices reserve more memory for apps and/or use Android 2.2 as explained below) - once its used up with installed apps you are full (regardless of whether the apps are actually running). Starting with Android 2.2, the OS allows you to store selected apps and data onto your SD card (or equivalent - in this case the 8GB "SD" built-in storage on your S7) where you normally would store large data files such as pictures, videos, documents etc... The first thing you should try before attempting any of the above workarounds is simply uninstalling apps you no longer use or need. Once you inventory your existing apps you might find that you can free up significant space by simply uninstalling. If you are still experience memory shortage issues after the purge, then try the workarounds above, if you're game to mod your device (don't want to overstate it, but it does come with an element of risk - the worst case is bricking your S7 [typically assoCiated with more invasive mods such as installing alternate firmware ROMS] - but if your are careful and follow the instructions, you'll likely be successful or be able to recover from most mistakes - the pros here are very helpful when you get stuck). Good luck.

Last edited:

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
What i did was a fresh reload (just like when you bought it) > did the app2sd mod > then started installing my stuff. Everything installs to my internal cards partition. As you can see in the pic..... still have 173mb of the 183mb system, nothing installs there anymore. Still have 1.26gig free out of the 1.5gig partition for all my stuff i install.

$screenshot_15.png

App2Sd or Link2SD will be your best option. Follow the instructions carefully STEP by STEP.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I am using the link2sd mod. I find it a bit more robust.

Another thing you can do to improve your free memory, is firstly to remove some of the bloatware in /system/app. Then you can move some of the apps in /data/app to /system/app. I tend not to use link2sd on widgets, and move them to /system/app directly. I have successfully moved swype, documentstogo, fancywidgets, facebook, and a few others.

This requires root, remount /system to read write and then issue the command

cd /system/app
busybox cp -a /data/app/*facebook* .
busybox cp -a /data/app/*swype* .

even though this is a copy, it seems to remove them from /data/app. I am thinking that this might be a feature of android, that the same file cannot exist in /system/app and /data/app.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
50Cals,

It's been awhile since I perused the APPS2SD thread. Are the instructions collected into a single post [first post?] or are they still spread out throughout the thread?

Also, can someone with intimate knowledge of both approaches (obviously that leaves me out) better characterize the pros and cons of APPS2SD vs. LINK2SD for the unwashed. Thanks!

V

Last edited:

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
yes i believe the first post has been updated to current...... I followed the post for the internal and external card option. Think there are 3 full postings, and they are all complete afaik. Looks like lots having luck with the link2sd ......so depends what you want to try.

**EDIT -- Page 13 post by Kevmueller is the one i did**

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
My palm uses something like Link2SD, I think.

We call it an app manager, but basically it allows you to move an app & it's data to an SD card, then creates a launcher icon in main memory. When you tap the icon, it (runs a script) to load those files into memory, and then moves them back out when you exit the app. I've got 200MB of stuff on the SD card, on a Palm that only has 28 MB of RAM. Only 15 MB is used, at most.

The best thing that's good about it is you just install the app and launch it once. It does everything for you, and no voodoo.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Apps2sd - Complex setup, can cause problems with force close error, no flexibility (all or nothing approach), but it does give the most amount of free space, and makes it possible to install a huge number of applications.

Link2sd - easier setup, flexible, robust, but will not give you as much free space and requires a bit of maintenance when updating software.

I think that all the documentation is up to date.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
With regards to the [PRJ] Apps2SD thread, the first few posts are still confusing. When I see things like, "Basically what I am doing..." and "do something like this" it means to stay away because the process is still not defined. I was expecting a more plain-English explanation. That, plus I'm still very confused about "how to root." I have z4root, but will not install it until I am positive I know what the steps are. So I think we still need a good 'How-To' for the rooting part that's stickied, so you can link to it whenever you refer to that. Maybe someone with their own website can collect all the related documents about rooting, the Apps2sd files and make it all available in it's final form.

fwiw

In the meantime, I think just removing the bloatware will satisfy things; if I can figure that much out.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Actually rooting is very straight forward. You follow these simple steps...

1) Install z4root
2) Launch the app
3) Click on the button that says "Permanent Root"

Done.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
thanks. I might be exaggerating things. Not only am I cramming all things Android, but Visual C++ and a couple new I.T. books for my dean at the college. Plus the weather/ice, plus, plus.....

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010