What is best custom ROM to install on original Galaxy tab?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note/Tab' started by rob125, Jul 4, 2012.

1. rob125

rob125 Member

Tablet / Device:
    none...yet!
    Looking for some advice. I've never rooted a tablet before, but I am willing to try. I have the original Samsung Galaxy tab, from Verizon.
    I am using it as a Wi-fi only tablet. It works Ok, but is a bit laggy, occasionally freezes up. Also, it sometimes has trouble picking up a wi-fi signal.

I don't know if a custom ROM would help wi-fi reception at all (I doubt it), but I've read that a good, stable, custom ROM will decrease lag and speed up the software.

In your opinion, what is the best, most stable, custom ROM that I should try to install?

(As I understand it, there are no good Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs for this tablet, but several good Gingerbread ones.)

Also, if you know of any people in Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire that are good at installing custom ROMs, drop me a line! :)

2. Frederuco

Frederuco Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    ASUS TF101
    Honestly, your best bet is to research on how to install custom ROMs yourself (typically you need to get ClockWorkMod Recovery installed) which may or may not require rooting, then boot to CWM and flash a custom ROM. Some devices it can be done using ADB and NVFlash.

As far as custom ROMs go, I know for my tablet (Asus OG Transformer) there are quite a few to choose from (short list from the top of my head):
    Revolver 4 ROM
    Megatron ROM
    Codename Android ROM
    AOKP ROM
    Team EOS ICS ROM
    Team EOS ICS ROM with Cornerstone
    PRIME! v1.8.4 ROM
    EeeBomb ROM
    TFWIZ ROM
    Ti-X Transformation ROM
    Android Revolution HD ROM
    KRAKD ROM
    CM9
    CM9 with Cornerstone​

I have tried most of these on my own to see which I like better. What I like in a ROM you may not like.

I have found that most ROMs tend to be much faster than the stock ones as they have been tweaked, or completely rebuilt from the ground up to make them work. Also, custom kernels can do wonders for your tablet (which there are just as many custom kernels available as custom ROMs for the OG Transformer).

So, I suggest that if you are interested to try some of the ROMs for your device. Check the Galaxy Tab Dev Forum over at XDA and see what is available. There should be guides on how to root your tab. Be sure to keep in mind not all ROMs will support 3G/4G for your tablet.

3. NorthDakotaguy

NorthDakotaguy Member

4. surgeman

surgeman Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Cruz T301,Coby 7016,8125,7035,HKC 7",Aluratec AT107F,Coby MID8065,Archos Carbon 97
    Rob....I just installed Cyanmod's cm-10-20130217-NIGHTLY-p1c on my Verizon i800 and it works flawless so far...Gives you Jelly Bean and all the nice little extra's..If you're looking to stick with Gingerbread..Look for Galaxy Cubed 3...It's real simple to install and pre-rooted...You'll need Heimdall to install it...Best of luck with whatever you choose..