What is my best path to Froyo or beyond?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all, I'm interested in getting something other than 2.1 on my NC, but I'm confused as to what my best path to that would be at this point. I have 2 NCs, my own that is an autonootered 1.0.1 and my wife's which is an autonootered 1.1. There is no CWR, no Titanium, no nothing on either device. Just a stock NC, autonootered, with a bunch of apps installed. So what I'd like is a step-by-step to-do list that'll get me from here to there and be stable.. I don't want bleeding edge here. I want a daily driver. Can someone help me out?

And please, don't send me to XDA.. The threads over there get so mixed up that by page 2 or 3, the original instructions have usually been completely re-written and you can't find what to do in all the arguing. Simplify it!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Install CWR: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/6386-how-installing-using-clockworkmod-rom-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

(Do all your backing up in that thread) Better to be safe than sorry :)

Backup your apps with Titanium Backup (for easy reinstall later)

Next follow the install for: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8586-rom-feb-15-2011-phiremod-nook-beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a.html

That is the most stable froyo build...has gapps and market already installed (all the others you have to load yourself)

Reinstall apps, dl Flash from market, enjoy.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
You've just laid out my weekend project x2.. =)

I'm not really interested in backing up my apps because I can kind of want fresh downloads of everything. Mine has been acting sort of strange the last few days, and I'd like to completely redo it. I don't run a ton of apps, so it's easy for me to get everything again.. My wife, however, will be backed up. She's got a blue billion things on her NC.

Do I need to take them back to stock to make any of this happen?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You've just laid out my weekend project x2.. =)

I'm not really interested in backing up my apps because I can kind of want fresh downloads of everything. Mine has been acting sort of strange the last few days, and I'd like to completely redo it. I don't run a ton of apps, so it's easy for me to get everything again.. My wife, however, will be backed up. She's got a blue billion things on her NC.

Do I need to take them back to stock to make any of this happen?

Nope, just follow those threads posted by Vic and you will be good to go.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Nah, I'm pretty happy with the UD thing I installed lastnight. My goal was to open my NC up to running all the same things that my phone can run (it's a 2.2 device) and it does that very well. No need to over-complicate it. Simple install, uses two files and 10 minutes to go from rooted or stock to running Gingerbread. That's pretty cool.. I thanked Darmeen because his link to how to revert to stock is how I got the UD thing installed. I simply substituted the UD ROM for the one his link said to use for the stock ROM. Voila, simple and sweet.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@Cobra Commander

I would give phiremod nook BETA2 a test drive for a day, see how you like it before settling down. Make a backup of you UD, flash to beta2 for a day or so. If you don't like it, flash back to UD, would only take 15 mins or so.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I was thinking of the same thing Rico. This flashing thing makes it easy to go back and forth without fear. When I was autonootered, I was afraid to try anything radical because I didn't know a sure fire way of getting it back. Now, I can. Hail Cobra!

I've found one thing I don't like about UD so far. It treats my NC like a phone, scaling Double Twist's icons up to be huge. On a phone, that'd be a good thing. On a tablet, not so good.. Wish it understood it was a tablet.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I was thinking of the same thing Rico. This flashing thing makes it easy to go back and forth without fear. When I was autonootered, I was afraid to try anything radical because I didn't know a sure fire way of getting it back. Now, I can. Hail Cobra!

I've found one thing I don't like about UD so far. It treats my NC like a phone, scaling Double Twist's icons up to be huge. On a phone, that'd be a good thing. On a tablet, not so good.. Wish it understood it was a tablet.

Yea, I keep about 6-7 backups of multiple roms and setups on 1 sd card: B&N 1.0.1, NookColor_1.1r2 rom, phiremod nook BETA2, UD 3.1.2. Going from one to another is effortless. :)

Right now, I don't like the UD rom for lack of yourtube, flash isn't fully functionally across all apps, yes everything is way too big (need to change lcd density), and touch is a bit off. Like I said on the main UD thread, this rom is buggy and I'm sure it will get better in time.

On the scaling, you will like Beta2 then, it's scaled nicely.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
What should the LCD density be? I haven't tried Flash or Youtube yet, so I might agree with you. Dunno yet. Does Beta2 support both?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I've tried everything from 100 to 200, and Double Twist seems immune from the changes.. It just flood fills the screen, regardless of how tiny the icons get. I can see that being great for my phone, but bad for my NC. Ohwell, not a huge deal. Just kind of ugly. I settled on 140, btw.. I wish I could control the icon spacing a little better. They're too far apart now.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Be aware, changing the density screws with the arrow and menu icons at the top left.. Rebooting puts it back to 160, which brings them back. So, looks like 160 is where I'll stay.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Be aware, changing the density screws with the arrow and menu icons at the top left.. Rebooting puts it back to 160, which brings them back. So, looks like 160 is where I'll stay.

You'll be happy the beta2 rom is defaulted at 160.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
$cobraCommanderPose.jpg

Curse you 10 character minimum!!!!!!! Curse you!

(Hey, can we get custom user titles? I want "Cobra Commander" for mine!)