What Is The Android Tablet Ideal Form Factor For You?

What is your ideal tablet form factor?

• 5-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio (Dell Streak 5)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 7-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio (Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy Tab)

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • 9-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio (Samsung Galaxy 8.9)

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • 10-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio (Motorola Xoom, Viewsonic gTablet)

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • 7-inch, 4:3 aspect ratio (Pandigital Novel)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 10-inch, 4:3 aspect ratio (iPad)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 13/14inch, 14:10 aspect ratio (A4/Letter Real Paper Size)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want to maximize your functionality pick either a 9.7" 4:3 or a 10" 16:9. If you're wanting a balance between functionality and portability then get something around the 7" size. I personally wouldn't go any smaller than that, but I have my android smart phone for that. Now you can get cases with usb keyboards that are made for a smaller screened tablet. SPEMALL sells them for their chinese tablets. The form factor for the case itself is the same, but the pieces that hold the tablet in place have been adjusted. This helps to increase the functionality of a tab that's around 7". I have an ASUS Transformer tf101 (10" 16:9). I also have a Ainol Aurora on the way (7" 16:9). After using the ASUS for a while I can see the benefit of a slightly smaller tab in terms of general use of surfing, reading, and playing games. However, the ASUS for all intents and purposes is a laptop replacement for me. It does everything I do on my computer with greater mobility, quicker start-up/shutdown, and program loading. All I can say is I'm very glad that I decided to get one!

s11lko

Jul 4, 2012
Hi all (my first post!)

I'm now using an 8 inch Ployer Momo8 running ICS which is my first ever non Apple (sorry if that's swearing here! lol) device, and it has a 4:3 screen. Luv it. The screen for my ageing eyes is the ideal compromise between portability and ease of reading and, being 4:3 it makes reading books and web pages feel...oh, I don't know...'natural'.

Regards, Dave

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Somebody resumed a dead thread but what the.., I'm still of the same opinion: I love and need portability in a tablet so 7" is perfect for me!

rlm1949

Nov 26, 2010
I have several tablets ranging from OS 2.2 to 4.0.? and who is responsible for the turf battle of these devices. "What are you asking," you say? None of my tablets will offer similar functions to include but not limited to "Google Play Store, Amazon, and the sort. My daughter told me, "dad, what you have paid for all those toys you could have bought an Ipad....at least there is a standard and everything that works on their phone and Ipad equally well". Please don't tell me that I need to root this or that why doesn't the Android market have a standard? Now, you may FLAME on.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I have always said the ideal tab size and format was what iPad brought to the table. A 9.7" in a 4x3 format has more screen space than a 10.1" in 16x9.

Well, I am looking to break my own mold and go with one of the new 9.4" - 16x9 tabs from either Pipo or Ramos.

So put me down for a new (yet old size; i.e., Sony) type of China tab ...the 9.4".

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Presently, I am using a 7-inch Acer, with a16:9 aspect ratio. This was an ideal size for introducing myself to the world of Android. In the future, I'd like to try out an 8-incher, with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Presently, I am using a 7-inch Acer, with a16:9 aspect ratio. This was an ideal size for introducing myself to the world of Android. In the future, I'd like to try out an 8-incher, with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Mine is a 3 bears story. My first was the 7" coby 7042 that is still going strong. About 6 months ago, I got a used lenovo a2019 cause it was more capable and had the 9" screen. This last month, I got a Coby 8065 with a cracked screen for a project tablet.

The 8065 is the perfect compromise between the other 2 tabs. It has a 8" 4x3 screen. The AMlogic dual core cpu is capable but no screamer. Tho not as fast, the 8065 is much lighter than the lenovo. I replaced the screen and enjoying the new form factor.

Timothy Love

Oct 26, 2022
Everyone's habits and priorities are different, of course, choose the most suitable one for you, but I also see some references as follows
Best for most people: Xiaomi Pad 5
Best for Kids: Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids