What is the big slot for

Music

Feb 5, 2011
On the bottom edge of the Huawei S7, next to the SD card/TF slot, there is a longer slot. What is that for, data? Is there a connector that will fit that? If you can access a power pin, maybe you could charge the device from there instead of the coaxial connector on the end?

Finally, if it's a data slot with charger, is there a holder that you can put the device into, instead of just letting it sit flat? If it was on your desk, you probably couldn't see the screen well or use the device if it was just laying there flatly.

thx

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
It's an accessory plug for a proprietary connector, most likely a dock like that which was shown as a "coming soon" accessory early on in promotional photos. Where is it? S7 owners have been asking that very question for the last six months.

[rant alert] Lack of any accessory dock or other accessories for that matter is one of the reasons I finally gave up and went with a Galaxy tab. PlayOn which requires 2.2 was the final nail in the S7 coffin for me. Still make use of the S7 as a "coffee table" e reader, wireless music player, and glorified alarm clock but for on the go tabbing, its the Galaxy tab. Huawei really missed the opportunity to make a dent in the market by not quickly following up with support for the early adopters (accessories, 2.2 upgrade) rather than focusing on the next gen tablets which appear to still be one or two steps behind the rest of the tablet crowd, making their price advantage less compelling not to mention eroding any brand loyalty opportunity they initially had. Finally, recent issues with Market compatibility and the whole T-Mobile and ATT device categorization issue precluding simultaneous data and voice plans did not help even if those were not Huawei's direct fault.[end rant]

Why do I bother coming back to the Huawei forum? Because the members here are great and very active, I still own the S7, and the nuggets of general Android tablet knowledge is probably the best on the site.

Last edited:

Mdwills3521

Dec 30, 2010
It's an accessory plug for a proprietary connector, most likely a dock like that which was shown as a "coming soon" accessory early on in promotional photos. Where is it? S7 owners have been asking that very question for the last six months.

[rant alert] Lack of any accessory dock or other accessories for that matter is one of the reasons I finally gave up and went with a Galaxy tab. PlayOn which requires 2.2 was the final nail in the S7 coffin for me. Still make use of the S7 as a "coffee table" e reader, wireless music player, and glorified alarm clock but for on the go tabbing, its the Galaxy tab. Huawei really missed the opportunity to make a dent in the market by not quickly following up with support for the early adopters (accessories, 2.2 upgrade) rather than focusing on the next gen tablets which appear to still be one or two steps behind the rest of the tablet crowd, making their price advantage less compelling not to mention eroding any brand loyalty opportunity they initially had. Finally, recent issues with Market compatibility and the whole T-Mobile and ATT device categorization issue precluding simultaneous data and voice plans did not help even if those were not Huawei's direct fault.[end rant]

Why do I bother coming back to the Huawei forum? Because the members here are great and very active, I still own the S7, and the nuggets of general Android tablet knowledge is probably the best on the site.

I'm glad you consider us genuises.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Well, from the way Huawei handled my service case on the poor camera image, it looks like they only want to sell cheap computers to Americans (or whomever.) It's been over a week now, and I haven gotten so much as an automated acknowledgment.

Aside from the $600 pricetage of the Galaxy tab, it's just too darn big to feel comfortable to me, so I don't think I'll be in a rush to get one any time soon.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Well, from the way Huawei handled my service case on the poor camera image, it looks like they only want to sell cheap computers to Americans (or whomever.) It's been over a week now, and I haven gotten so much as an automated acknowledgment.

Aside from the $600 pricetage of the Galaxy tab, it's just too darn big to feel comfortable to me, so I don't think I'll be in a rush to get one any time soon.

Look, I'm not trying to drum up Galaxy Tab sales here - but people are dumping their 7-inch Galaxy tabs for the 10-inch Xoom and other new tablets so the going price for a slightly used to new Galaxy tab is more like $250 - $500 (max) depending on condition, supplied accessories and carrier branding. I own both (picked the Galaxy up for just over $300 on ebay) and found the Galaxy to be actually slightly smaller and lighter than the Huawei (thinner and shorter but about about 1/2" wider than the S7 and 3/10 of a lb less in weight), which is surprising considering the Galaxy battery has about twice the amp-hours (another sore point on the Huawei). The Xoom is definitely $600 (WiFi only) and with a 10" screen, is significantly larger, heavier, and more expensive than either the S7 or the Galaxy (just in case you were confusing the two).