What is the hidden, bright, flashing green light (LED) for? (NOT Charge Indicator)

Sep 20, 2011
New 32GB Sony Tablet S - I picked up my Sony Tablet S and found it flashing a bright, green, circular light/LED, which emanates from beneath the plastic underneath the power button. It is NOT the tiny, battery charge indicator/LED to the left of the power button. This LED/light source does not have a lens/window/hole for it, it is simply mounted beneath the recessed, cream-colored plastic in the "elbow" of the tablet's circular fold. It is in the same relative panel location as the headphone jack, but on the opposite end panel.

This light is not mentioned in Sony's Support Center nor the downloadable PDF Help Guide on the numbered Parts and Controls diagram.

It flashes on once every two seconds; when I've seen it, the screen had timed out and was off. After turning on power, the flashing stops.

It appears most likely to be a "new mail" indicator, as I had new gmail messages at approximately the same time as it was blinking.

It's an odd place to be... you can't see it flashing unless you happen to be looking at the area where the power switch is; i.e., if you are using the tablet, you can't see it blinking, because it's recessed and out of sight.

Monsterman

Oct 6, 2011
Anyone figure out what this blinking led ligth is?? I have a feeling it illuminates when the screen lock engages?