what kind of car charger do I need for the NC ?

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
View attachment 1579Two Usb ports and 2- 110v outlets made by Peak Electronics, also
has a built in 150 watt inverter and I got mine for $9.95 at ACE Hardware on Black Friday.
Reg. $19.95 still a good deal!

Last edited:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I brought the Scosche Dual USB car charger, since I carry my stock usb Nook Color cord around in my case. The Scosche does 2amps (1amp per port).
Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

The USB port from you pc does .5amps and the Nook Color wall charger does 1.9amps, so this Scosche is charges are a pretty good rate plus I can use it for all my devices that use USB charging.

According to the link, it does 1A divided among the two ports. So 500mA would be your charge rate.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
According to the link, it does 1A divided among the two ports. So 500mA would be your charge rate.

Yea I know, it's wrong. I think they made a revision or amazon sent me the wrong one. I orded the one in the link I posted and they sent me one that does 1amp x 2.

IMAG0025.jpg

hmm just found this one on amazon, which looks like it is the one I have. Mind you did odered the other one and just checked my order history to confirm.
Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Auto Car Charger Power Adapter for Motorola Atrix 4G 1 Amp x 2 Port: Cell Phones & Accessories

They must have run out and sent me the better one.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I just ordered the one that is 1 amp for 2 ports.reVIVE dual USB car charger from Scosche.. it was like $8.95 -- Each port provides 500 mA of power for a quick and efficient charge

the other one this one it is $12.95.... looks like the same thing only is higher priced.....
did I order the wrong one ??

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I have a Coby Kyros tablet and use a 2A car charger that is USB, made for iPad but it works fine. I had to make a custom USB to power pin cable.
I bought a
Newegg.com - Kensington K33497US PowerBolt Duo USB Auto Adapter & Charger for iPad1&2/iPhone 4 w/ Sync Cable
If you want to see the Kyros thread it's here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-1-accessories/5092-kyros-car-charger.html
The big difference is the Kyros charges with a power pin connection, not the USB connection.

We think our next tablet will be the NookColor so I'm learning more.

My questions for those here:
Why is the NookColor saying only charge from the wall? Is the PC-USB spec of 0.5A just to wimp to do the job?
Please tell me what the power brick says: like OP: 5V 2A --- IP: 50-60 Hz 110-220V Or post a photo of the brick's label.
Thanks in advance.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My questions for those here:
Why is the NookColor saying only charge from the wall? Is the PC-USB spec of 0.5A just to wimp to do the job?
Please tell me what the power brick says: like OP: 5V 2A --- IP: 50-60 Hz 110-220V Or post a photo of the brick's label.
Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, most chargers provide just 0.5A which is not enough to charge the Nook (though it can extend the life of a charged nook plugged into such a source).
2. I'll have to look.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks J515OP and Stumblethru,
I just found the spec on the Barnes & Noble site and was coming back to post.
My concern was that Output was 5V so all is still USB spec. Just needs enough juice.
I did try a 350mA car charger on my Coby, the power light comes on but the charger was really heating up. Gotta have the right Amps.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I was at B&N yesterday and they sell the car charger there now.I think it was around $ 20 ,adaptor + cable.