What should I do

n4dog

Oct 18, 2010
I really want to buy a tablet. I really like the transformer. But should I wait to see if it is going to get Ice Cream Sandwich? Not sure what I should do. Should I get it or another tab?

donmcdougall

Sep 4, 2011
i bought it for work, the SD slot two USB ports and battery life make this the smart choice. you really do get 16 plus hours usage. also it charges the tablet from the keyboard, so after 8 hours usage the tablet is still at 100 percent.

n4dog

Oct 18, 2010
I think I will get one. Just would like to find a deal like they had at target a few weeks ago.

TheCentauress

Aug 22, 2011
@n4dog:
Getting a deal is kinda' nice, but at $550-650, depending on the memory you choose, the Trans is pretty economy-priced already. I'd rather pay that price for something with all the equipment you get from ASUS, than get just a tablet from anyone else.

Especially considering the fact that Moto, Samsung et al. mostly don't have either a microSD slot AND/OR stand-alone HDMI connection on the tablet. Depending on an add-on to get that functionality is never very smart.

n4dog

Oct 18, 2010
I bought one from Newegg. They had it for $399.00 plus a free docking station. Should be to me in 3 days

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
I have had a transformer w/ keyboard for several months and I absolutely LOVE IT! I have the 32gb version, with 2 32gb class 10 sd cards installed. I got the version that does not have the 3G, (which wasn't available when I bought mine). I don't miss the 3G because it easily tethers to my phone when I can't find a wifi connection. 4G is not available in my area yet, but as soon as it is and I update my phone, my transformer will also by at 4G.

The transformer really zips through movies, multitasks well and is very responsive. I have the Tuff-luv leather portfolio case (www.tuff-luv.com) which is great for pertection of the device and basic use and I have the Vangoggy carring case ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005478LC8) which holds the transformer in the leather case, power cable, sync cable plus and my WD Passport 1tb drive with room to spare. So far, every usb and bluetooth device I've connected to it works fine.

Transformer is currently on Honeycomb 3.2. Asus has been very good with keeping up with updates as Google has released them so I expect they will update to Ice Cream sandwich fairly quickly.

The only issue I've has is that the transformer comes with a REALLY Short power cord, but this was easily (and cheaply) fixed by adding a usb extension cord (it Must be usb 3.0).

The transformer by far gives you the most bang for the bucks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2011
You should definitely wait. In fact, they have already announced jelly bean being the next version of android after ice cream sandwich, so you should not get a device with ice cream sandwich. Wait a few more months after that to get jelly bean.

As a matter of fact, if you just wait a few more months after that, you could get an even newer version of android.

Actually, don't buy anything the next 5 years. If you can hold out that long, you can get the newest and most bad-ass android version in 5 years.

Scratch that, wait 10 years. I'm sure whatever comes in 10 years will be infinitely better.

Actually... wait 20 years. I'm sure they'll have a neural interface UI by then. With a neural interface UI, you can just control tablets with your mind. Why waste your money now on a stupid honeycomb when in just 20 short years you can get something so much more awesome?

Hang on a minute. What about 30 years?

To be absolutely safe, you should wait at least 50 years. By then, I'm sure whatever computer OS by then will be the most bad-ass version you will ever get!

n4dog

Oct 18, 2010
I have had a transformer w/ keyboard for several months and I absolutely LOVE IT! I have the 32gb version, with 2 32gb class 10 sd cards installed. I got the version that does not have the 3G, (which wasn't available when I bought mine). I don't miss the 3G because it easily tethers to my phone when I can't find a wifi connection. 4G is not available in my area yet, but as soon as it is and I update my phone, my transformer will also by at 4G.

The transformer really zips through movies, multitasks well and is very responsive. I have the Tuff-luv leather portfolio case (www.tuff-luv.com) which is great for pertection of the device and basic use and I have the Vangoggy carring case ( Amazon.com: Quality ASUS Pad Transformer Tablet Case, for Both the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer and the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Keyboard/Docking Station (TF101-A1 , TF101-B1) , Dual Sided ASUS Transformer Stylus ) which holds the transformer in the leather case, power cable, sync cable plus and my WD Passport 1tb drive with room to spare. So far, every usb and bluetooth device I've connected to it works fine.

Transformer is currently on Honeycomb 3.2. Asus has been very good with keeping up with updates as Google has released them so I expect they will update to Ice Cream sandwich fairly quickly.

The only issue I've has is that the transformer comes with a REALLY Short power cord, but this was easily (and cheaply) fixed by adding a usb extension cord (it Must be usb 3.0).

The transformer by far gives you the most bang for the bucks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Thanks for the Great Info. I bought one today from NewEgg. They had a free dock station with the purchase.

Aug 31, 2011
Ok if you say so there Goodintentions
Try to understand the meaning behind my post.

Think about it this way. Nvidia announced that they would release the tegra 3 at the end of October. Let's think about that for a moment. That means that asus would get the tegra 3 at the end of October. Their engineers would then have to test the chip out with the specs of their TF 2. There will inevitably be some incompatibility issues. They would have to stamp out those issues. Their software engineers would have to test the major aspects of the tegra 3 in relation to their stock rom. Those guys then would have to stamp out the bugs.

After all of those testings, which will take them at least a couple months (I'm being extremely generous in my estimates here... usually takes them longer than that), they would then have to rush out productions that contain the upgraded hardware and software specs.

Are we being realistic here when we believe rumors that the TF2 is just right around the corner?

Just remember this. I first heard rumors about the TF (asus device that allows you to use as both an ipad-like device and a notebook with full multi-touchscreen capability and dual core processor) in 2010. I was hopeful. I was excited. And the rumor was that it was just right around the corner. May be next month or so. Yup, any minute now. That any minute now turned into a year.

The TF is doing pretty darn well by itself right now. It is by far the most popular android tablet on the market. I just talked to some best buy guys and they said the TF and docking station have been flying off the shelves. And as far as we know, production of the TF is still going strong. Asus really has no incentive to rush out a TF2 next week.

Furthermore, it is very doubtful that asus will be able to preserve the price at $399 range for the TF2. Yes, I know, the kindle fire is selling for $199. Amazon is selling it at a loss. It costs them an estimated $210 to produce each kindle fire. The only reason amazon is selling the fire at a loss is because they're aiming to profit from their media based features rather than hardware. Asus has absolutely no such incentive to sell their TF2 at a loss.

I've been using the TF for just about everything. I have not touched my laptop for 4 months now. Been working as well as taking night classes to get my professional license. Here's a sample of one thing I've been using my TF for.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38673648/notes.png[img]

Yes, that's my handwriting. I write (at the same speed as when I use a real pen and paper) everything directly into the pdf files. Not only that, with a click of a button, I can print all my files wirelessly from the TF. I only use my desktop PC for more heavy duty work like autocad.

In other words, the tegra 2 TF is more than capable to handle whatever tasks you want to use it for.

That said, if you want to wait for the TF2, that's your choice. I am not trying to convince you to buy the TF now. I just want to point out how unrealistic it is to think the TF2 is just around the corner based on groundless rumors, the same kind of rumors that said the TF was just right around the corner back in early 2010.

I guess I just don't see the importance of a quadcore processor at this time in my life. I have exactly 1 game installed in my TF. The tegra 3 is designed more for gaming than anything else since it's there purely for graphics. The only real benefit I see for myself with the tegra 3 is if they can utilize it to make a more powerful cad app than autocad ws that I'm using now. For one thing, I want 3-D capability, damn it!

bmszabo

Aug 12, 2010

Think about it this way. Nvidia announced that they would release the tegra 3 at the end of October. Let's think about that for a moment. That means that asus would get the tegra 3 at the end of October. Their engineers would then have to test the chip out with the specs of their TF 2. There will inevitably be some incompatibility issues. They would have to stamp out those issues. Their software engineers would have to test the major aspects of the tegra 3 in relation to their stock rom. Those guys then would have to stamp out the bugs.

After all of those testings, which will take them at least a couple months (I'm being extremely generous in my estimates here... usually takes them longer than that), they would then have to rush out productions that contain the upgraded hardware and software specs.

Are we being realistic here when we believe rumors that the TF2 is just right around the corner?

Just remember this. I first heard rumors about the TF (asus device that allows you to use as both an ipad-like device and a notebook with full multi-touchscreen capability and dual core processor) in 2010. I was hopeful. I was excited. And the rumor was that it was just right around the corner. May be next month or so. Yup, any minute now. That any minute now turned into a year.

The TF is doing pretty darn well by itself right now. It is by far the most popular android tablet on the market. I just talked to some best buy guys and they said the TF and docking station have been flying off the shelves. And as far as we know, production of the TF is still going strong. Asus really has no incentive to rush out a TF2 next week.

Furthermore, it is very doubtful that asus will be able to preserve the price at $399 range for the TF2. Yes, I know, the kindle fire is selling for $199. Amazon is selling it at a loss. It costs them an estimated $210 to produce each kindle fire. The only reason amazon is selling the fire at a loss is because they're aiming to profit from their media based features rather than hardware. Asus has absolutely no such incentive to sell their TF2 at a loss.

I've been using the TF for just about everything. I have not touched my laptop for 4 months now. Been working as well as taking night classes to get my professional license. Here's a sample of one thing I've been using my TF for.

Yes, that's my handwriting. I write (at the same speed as when I use a real pen and paper) everything directly into the pdf files. Not only that, with a click of a button, I can print all my files wirelessly from the TF. I only use my desktop PC for more heavy duty work like autocad.

In other words, the tegra 2 TF is more than capable to handle whatever tasks you want to use it for.

That said, if you want to wait for the TF2, that's your choice. I am not trying to convince you to buy the TF now. I just want to point out how unrealistic it is to think the TF2 is just around the corner based on groundless rumors, the same kind of rumors that said the TF was just right around the corner back in early 2010.

I guess I just don't see the importance of a quadcore processor at this time in my life. I have exactly 1 game installed in my TF. The tegra 3 is designed more for gaming than anything else since it's there purely for graphics. The only real benefit I see for myself with the tegra 3 is if they can utilize it to make a more powerful cad app than autocad ws that I'm using now. For one thing, I want 3-D capability, damn it![/QUOTE]

Haven't I seen You around on the Gentouch78 site -a very-very-very long time ago- with great advices on my first tablet? :) if yes; THAT's what I call evolution! :)

n4dog

Oct 18, 2010

I guess I just don't see the importance of a quadcore processor at this time in my life. I have exactly 1 game installed in my TF. The tegra 3 is designed more for gaming than anything else since it's there purely for graphics. The only real benefit I see for myself with the tegra 3 is if they can utilize it to make a more powerful cad app than autocad ws that I'm using now. For one thing, I want 3-D capability, damn it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info that explained it better for me this time ;) I ordered myself one on Sunday. What app are you using to be able to write on the screen?[COLOR=#FFFFFF][/COLOR]