What tablet display to prefer for photography

rheingold

Oct 9, 2011
Photography and accordingly viewing images at daylight is important when selecting tablet.
What are best displays types and android model do you suggest?
Should have USB support for uploading images from memory cards.

How do you compare Ipad 2 display to android tablets?

And the price matters :)

Thanks!

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I was doing a bit of research on this, and what seemed to be the best type was an IPS screen..
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/173919-ips-display-vs-laptop-warning-lots-pics.html
T
hat link more applies to laptop and desktop monitors ..pretty sure, but it may give some insight.
Here is a tablet with IPS.
http://www.shanzai.com/index.php/news-a-articles/tablets-a-gadgets/10-tablets/1397-latest-android-ipad-clone-sports-a-brilliant-ips-display.html

A
ll IPS is capacitive ..but not all capacitive is IPS ..apparently. Wonder how big a difference there actually is?

I wish you well in your quest.

OH ..price mattered to me as well. I was doing all I could to stay at 200.00 or below ..and this is on the way.
HaiPad M8 Android 2.3 Capactive Tablet - 8 Inch Vimicro VC882 Cortex-A8 1.3GHz CPU WIFI 3G

rheingold

Oct 9, 2011
To mail order from China to Europe unfortunately may be a problem.

But thanks!

In meantime - I have found an Acer a501 model, which seems to have all I need, except I'm not sure about it's display, is it IPS?

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
A Cnet review I saw said it is IPS ..but Acer actually calls it something else on their site. That often happens with manufacturers ..using their marketing name for a feature.

Whatever you get ..please report back how it handles photographs, as I do some photo work, and I am sure there are many who would like to know. As it is ..I have not seen a lot on this subject.

:)

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
DEFINITELY not IPS. It's TFT. Doesn't have that good viewing angles (although it has the best blacks (by far) of any tablet).

If you want a tablet with a IPS display, which is definitely much higher quality than TFT, then the iPad 2, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, or Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 are the best choices right now IMO.

The iPad has a well calibrated screen, but is undersaturated; the Transformer has a fairly well calibrated screen (with the purest whites of any tablet) but is undersaturated; and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a really good display (it uses PLS, which is a spin-off of IPS), but is apparently oversaturated. However, the colors pop a LOT more than other tablets - they may not be accurate, but they certainly look quite good (in my opinion). They might be better for photographs if you want the colors to really show well.

There's actually a scientific analysis here, done by DisplayMate, if that's any help. It's where I get most of my information on displays.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
According to Wiki ..TFT as a technology covers just about all the screens ..& IPS is listed as one of the TYPES of TFT technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

If that is accurate and all of the screens we are looking at are TFT ..yet some designate IPS or PLS ...but most nothing ..then what is the bulk of the screens to be called?

Maybe this gives a clue.
"..most TN panels represent colors using only six bits per RGB color, or 18 bit in total, and are unable to display the 16.7 million color shades (24-bit truecolor) that are available from graphics cards. Instead, these panels display interpolated 24-bit color using a dithering method that combines adjacent pixels to simulate the desired shade".

Now is there a way to determine if the tablet I have on order is this or that ??
www.wholesaleonepiece.com/haipad-m8...o-vc882-cortexa8-13ghz-cpu-wifi-3g_p2604.html

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Well, I'm not really sure...likely TN. Any decently smart manufacturer would jump at the bit to mention that their display is IPS, PLS, etc, as they are higher-end variants. It only makes good business sense. If they don't claim it is IPS, PLS, etc. then I would definitely assume that it is a TN display.

Not that TN is terrible, but IPS is definitely higher grade. I wouldn't complain too much, though, considering the tablet you got - it looks pretty good for the price ;) and the screen will still be pretty good.

I'm actually quite shocked at the resolution - 1280x768 on an 8" display at that ​price? Nice.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Well, I'm not really sure...likely TN. Any decently smart manufacturer would jump at the bit to mention that their display is IPS, PLS, etc, as they are higher-end variants. It only makes good business sense. If they don't claim it is IPS, PLS, etc. then I would definitely assume that it is a TN display.

Not that TN is terrible, but IPS is definitely higher grade. I wouldn't complain too much, though, considering the tablet you got - it looks pretty good for the price ;) and the screen will still be pretty good.

I'm actually quite shocked at the resolution - 1280x768 on an 8" display at that ​price? Nice.

I agree. You would think that IPS would be a feature that mfg. would tout, yet it does not look to be that prevalent. I noted that the new Kindle Fire is shouting the feature loud and clear.
Yet the water can be somewhat muddied when you go to Amazon's main page for the Fire, and IPS is mentioned ..but not capacitive screen. Then you read this write- up ..
Kindle Touch's secret weapon: Lasers - CNN.com
and capacitive is mentioned, but with a twist. I guess tech is still changing pretty quick.

:)

Edit: OK ..how in the world can this mfg. sell an IPS 10" pad for 69.00 ? I almost have to order this ..just to see if I could tell the diff between it and the Haipad that is on the way. I may yet.

Edit again: Read this comment under a youtube vid.
"Both screens look great, but IPS is a plus if you have a family watching a movie all together on a 10" screen on family night. IPS is also great for sharing my password to a guy next to me in a coffee shop".
Makes me wonder if there are pluses and minuses to use or not use IPS. If it were the end all to be all, you would think all mfg. of better tabs would use it.

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
If your afraid because of privacy concerns, you can always get a privacy-shade type screen protector that you remove when you don't need it. What you said also got me thinking - I wonder why manufacturers don't claim their TN displays are better for privacy, claiming it as a"feature"...would be smart (annoying, but smart) ;)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum