What tablet to recommend for an older traveler

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Hi Group,

What tablet would you suggest for an over fifty woman that travels internationally quite a bit. I say internationally because I don't have any idea what import/export questions could arise, if any. Probably none.
So; woman traveler, over fifty, non techie, what tablet ?
3G/4G or wifi ? Why ?
7in or 10in ? Why ?

Thanks for help in this.

1hen2ducks

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Then2ducks,you didn't give us an important information : how much they are willing to spend.
Gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Good point Gloria

If price was no object, an HTC Flyer would have been my first choice.
An iPad, of course, is simply out of the question, at any price.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Good point Gloria

If price was no object, an HTC Flyer would have been my first choice.
An iPad, of course, is simply out of the question, at any price.

I think you should look for a tablet that isn't too expensive but complete for the most part out of the box like the acer iconia.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
7 inch would be my choice for convenience and portability

3G/4G is going to be a potential problem - some countries might require some tech setup to make it work, might require specific sim cards to install and might be very costly - so i would try to keep connected via wifi as much as i can. for this i would recommend some basic training on getting connected to wifi - might also be a good idea to install an app that makes wifi connection easy

i've taken my nook to europe, asia and latin america and have had no problems connecting via wifi - note some countries may not have wifi but rather wired connection

I also have a samsung galaxy tab 7 inch - i also love this device - same convenience and portability plus an excellent camera

I've taken my google IO 10.1 inch to E3(electronic entertainment expo) last month - my first trip with a 10 inch and more often than not i've noticed how much more inconvenient it is - try browsing/reading while in a cafe and the thing does not always fit nicely on the table along with my plate, drink etc..

so 7 inch, wifi, and oh preload it with lots of music and movies - nook does the job - albeit without the camera

Hi Group,

What tablet would you suggest for an over fifty woman that travels internationally quite a bit. I say internationally because I don't have any idea what import/export questions could arise, if any. Probably none.
So; woman traveler, over fifty, non techie, what tablet ?
3G/4G or wifi ? Why ?
7in or 10in ? Why ?

Thanks for help in this.

1hen2ducks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Anima, what do you find yourself using the camera for?

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Good comments all; I too am partial to the 7in. over the 10in. Too bulky.
I went to Best Buy and played with all of the seven inch tablets, and some tens; I was struck by how slow they all were at even the simplest tasks. My Nook is the only tablet I've ever used and I AM spoiled.
The Flyer was a disappointment and was slower than the rest, could have been that device in particular.

Anima is right about 3G/4G vs wifi. I would never have 3G either as a traveler. That's what my Nexus is for.

reloading with pics and tunes is a smart idea if you can do that at home.

Where does one put the pictures when loading them into a device ?? I really don't know !

Thanks everyone
1hen2ducks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Where does one put the pictures when loading them into a device ?? I really don't know !

Thanks everyone
1hen2ducks

Different apps store media in different places. Generally if you look around in the internal memory and SD card you will find folders labled pcitures. For example rooted Nooks should have a pictures folder in internal memory under media>My files>Pictures

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
For example rooted Nooks should have a pictures folder in internal memory under media>My files>Pictures

Ah Haa ! We have pictures now. Thanks JP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now back to topic.
What tablet to get for my sweet cousin that will hold up to international travel to South America.
The Asus A100 is lQQking good @ $350.00

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I'm curious why an iPad is out, at any price.Anyway, if you have time to wait, vizio is releasing a tablet in July that has an 8 inch screen, the same 4x3 ratio as the iPad (which I do like better than the widescreen format of most android tablets), and its price starts at $349. But I believe it's wi-fi only.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Perhaps the ipad does not get mentioned here because this is the android tablet forum. Not knocking ipads but they are too locked down for me. You get whatever apple wants you to have. Just saying

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
What's wrong with the nook color. The price is right and as it is, after the last update, they can download a bunch of magazines and books and movies as well... no need of rooting for that. And once they are out of country, they can keep in touch with family through e-mails. If I travel I bring my camera, its faster and easier to use than a tablet.
Gloria

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
@Gloria, I never used my tablet camera on the S7 as I have a very serviceable Nikon D70 for pictures. I make my wallpaper from pics I have taken in my travels. I find the nook has become my primary device for daily use and my netbook and S7 tablet seldom get used. This nook is one of the most useful devices in my home and on the road."