What tablet to recommend for an older traveler

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
1then2ducks said it is for a woman fifty traveling internationally.
It's not about the age, it's about the travels...I wouldn't personally carry around while traveling a 10" tablet, no matter how easy to use, and I'm famous on this forum and elsewhere too for liking it " easy"
Gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Starting with JinnJinn, JinnJinn, "Friends don't let friends buy Apple".
Gloria (who doesn't know) has once again come up with a good point if the lady can live with an ereader/ tablet that's a good buy, also, seven inch travels better. The lady cannot, however, install CM7 and keep up with all of the unexpected woes that may bring;; for example I was caught completely off guard when an OTA stole my root access with Nook 1.2. I was on the road and could do nothing to defend myself for a month. (not CM7)
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/moshe5368.htmlJinnJinn, is there a Vizio 7inch ? I'll check.
Moshe and I see equally that a camera is for taking pictures and a tablet is not a camera. Also 7inch is better as a traveler.

Good stuff people, Thank you all.

1hen2ducks
(aka Mike)

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
The Galaxy 7 is also a contender against the Iconia 7 when it comes out. The Flyer, sadly, fell behind. Maybe I tried a bad one; it was so slow next to the Galaxy 7.

I still have a month to go till travel time.
I could do an SD boot CM7 in stock Nook and have it all, couldn't I.
Even a non-tech person could pull the chip if something went wrong. Will that work ?

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Good call. The Vizeo looks nice, has GPS.
I wonder if Ice Cream Sandwich is in it's future ? Be nice if it were so.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Using cm7 on an sd card on a stock nook gives you the best of both worlds. I believe you will find that there is no more cost effective way to go. I try all the new tablets out as they hit the market but , so far, I cannot justify the additional cash outlay for any other tablet. The nook, with cm7 and host mode, allows me to import photos from my camera, access flash drives, connect a webcam, and in general, do all the things I could do on one of the new tablets. For a great deal less cash. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are several very good tablets out there and I have the cash to buy anything I might want BUT, the nook color has performed so well, I do not see the justification in the expense for a new tablet. I have an external keyboard running using bluetooth and have a powered hub connected to a passport 250 GB external harddrive. Host mode allows me to directly connect my usb devices to the nook. I have 2 desktop computers, 2 netbooks, and 3 other tablets sitting in the closet as a result of developments on the nook. Just saying........

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
And so, in the end the lady traveler bought an Apple iPad.
Sad but true; I guess Android isn't for everyone.
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and support.

1hen2ducks