What'a Your Battery Life Like?

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Using Terminal Emulator I was able to kill the two phone apk's
The two files are Phone.APK and TelephonyProvider.apk (there was a typo previously as TelphoyProvider.apk)
I wonder if there is other phone apk's and nonsence that should be killed...?

wagadesa

Jan 15, 2011
I used adb to rename both Phone.apk and TelphonyProvider.apk
The looping force close problem hits the Coby screen but I still got the power down and yes eventually without having to use the reset button.
Sue,
If you haven't used adb yet you might be able to do it from a "Terminal Emulation" app like this:
$ su
# mv /system/app/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.bak
Then the screen will get stuck in an endless loop about force close. Try power down and clicking on "OK". If not push in the reset button on the back. The endless loop will mean you can only do one each boot.

Interestingly - when I do this the YouTube app stops working. When I undo this the YouTube apps works again.

cobykyros

Jan 17, 2011
I have the same problem with the YouTube app not working. How do you undo a mv command in the terminal emulator?

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I believe you would just use the mv command again but rename the .bak that you renamed to .apk
keep it in the same directory.

cobykyros

Jan 17, 2011
Thank You Willber!!!! I wasn't sure what was causing the youtube problem until I saw your post. It works like a charm.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Hm, renaming the Phone.apk seems to have killed the Youtube app for me as well. When I went to the Youtube site and tried starting a video from there the Sysdev or native video player wouldn't work either. I wonder what the Phone.apk service/app has to do with videos?

cobykyros

Jan 17, 2011
The strange thing about renaming the Phone.apk to Phone.bak is that it did not affect my Cnet.tv video playback. It must have something to with the permission agreement you have with the youtube.apk and certain other apk's.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I'm trying to decide if I should un-rename the phone app. I am not a heavy YouTube user but it would be nice to have the app work. Isn't it supposed to work in SkyFire? Anyone tried it?

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
loaded skyfire and cant play videos. i tried the first two on the page..
I also downloaded Opera mini and tried to view through this but when I clicked on a video it asked me to use skyfire or sysdev. I clicked on sysdev but nothing.
I then used skyfire and it worked. Its slow and starts off with a violet color and buffers like crazy.but as im typing this im watching a video on the 7025 coby tablet

I just tried Opera mobile samething, you still have to use Skyfire but seamed alot faster and way less buffering.

Ultralight brower was fast but did not play videos.

lol should have just tried this. click the youtube app use skyfire, after clicking on a video it will ask you again to use Skyfire. buffers abit but picture quality was best this way.

Last edited:

wagadesa

Jan 15, 2011
loaded skyfire and cant play videos. i tried the first two on the page..
I also downloaded Opera mini and tried to view through this but when I clicked on a video it asked me to use skyfire or sysdev. I clicked on sysdev but nothing.
I then used skyfire and it worked. Its slow and starts off with a violet color and buffers like crazy.but as im typing this im watching a video on the 7025 coby tablet

I just tried Opera mobile samething, you still have to use Skyfire but seamed alot faster and way less buffering.

Ultralight brower was fast but did not play videos.

lol should have just tried this. click the youtube app use skyfire, after clicking on a video it will ask you again to use Skyfire. buffers abit but picture quality was best this way.

The 7025 was just announced at CES 2011, so how is it? Does it have Gingerbread loaded?

Sent from my MID7015 using Tapatalk

Clancy

Jan 11, 2011
For less typing... use the cd command.

cd system/app

then type ls to make sure you're there. Makes renaming a lot easier not having to type the path.

mv app1.apk app1.bak

Clancy

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
pwd is more useful for checking what directory you're in. (it's short for 'print working directory')

willber

Jan 9, 2011
ah all this command line typing brings back warm fuzzy DOS days.
Thanks for the commands, it really helps as I'm not linux aware.

I noticed my tablet was battery dead this morning.
I usually plug it in before bed. Well I had a full charge last night so I didn't charge over night.
Soooo... I guess my little Wake Up problem is still there as the tablet must have been waking up during the night like crazy to discharge it completely dead.
I suggest everyone leave their unit charged but unplugged over night to see if the tablet is waking up repeatably. So strange this.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I left mine on and unplugged overnight a few days back. It does pop-up a screen now and then. The next day there was still 60% battery left, I think it was near 100% to start.
willber,
You can have some more fun by adding Linux to a PC. It's free and doesn't require that you remove Windows. For Mac I'm not sure the ropes...
I have Slitaz-Linux running on an old Pentium-5 with a 200MHz processor and 256MB of RAM. Any machine with 512MB of RAM should run Ubuntu fine.
Although Linux can be almost totally GUI, it does bring back memories of the DOS days when you could get things done with batch files, just like pwd, mv, cd etc here.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Linux is always awesome but

Working in a forum to mod and potentially improve any electronic gadget > linux; any day. LOL