What's in Chinese at bottom of All Apps list in JB?

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
Go into manage apps in system settings. Scroll to the bottom of the list of all apps. There is something in Chinese that is obviously part of the system. Anyone know what it is? Just curious ; I assume that it is necessary.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just for others information: "AND I IN NO WAY ENCOURAGE THIS" (SO IF YOU DO IT'S AT YOUR OWN RISK) :(

The Android Junky that just worked on mine removed it all together and mine still kickin!!! :cool:

Yes you can remove it as well as several other apps, if you are rooted.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I kind of like having a legitimate warranty and space hasn't been an issue yet. Part of my resistance to rooting is that my comfort level with the system isn't high enough. I know how to nurse a PC back to health from a beeping BIOS to an enterprise server installation and I understand what the process involves. In the Android/Linux world, I am a babe in the woods. I don't like following instructions blindly, so until I am more familiar with the system I am content to just be a regular user.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I kind of like having a legitimate warranty and space hasn't been an issue yet. Part of my resistance to rooting is that my comfort level with the system isn't high enough. I know how to nurse a PC back to health from a beeping BIOS to an enterprise server installation and I understand what the process involves. In the Android/Linux world, I am a babe in the woods. I don't like following instructions blindly, so until I am more familiar with the system I am content to just be a regular user.

I agree I've been in Linux for well over 10+ years now, Dual boot with Windows the whole bit.
And "YES" while Android is basically the same as Linux.
To me it is a pain to get in there and tweak stuff as long as it works.... :cool:

Am I saying I haven't dabbled in the command line "NO" but that was only because I had to.

To further help in this discussion if your afraid to root and want to remove stuff on your system from your line of sight you can always Disable it.
That way if it takes up memory it will remove it from memory, And even if it really doesn't take up any system resources.
You at least won't have to look at the programs Icons.

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
If you're not confortable rooting or installing custom ROMs, then don't do it. As WasteLandSavage said, you can always Disable apps you don't want so they (effectively) disappear.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
I would agree with MCL, do not root any device unless you are comfortable with the process . The only major advantage on our device is removing lenovo's bloat at this point.
Watch this its friggen funny
Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
The video is pretty funny, but largely accurate. I have been a mostly Intel machine developer for over 30 years and know DOS/Windows inside and out and can follow instructions pretty well. But unless you want to tinker, the reasons for rooting don't seem that compelling. The Lenovo bloat isn't as bad as some others. We have about 12G of the 16G available. A coworker just got a Sony and he only has 10G out of the 16G available.

I am also getting less interested in tinkering with complex systems. I installed the Terminal IDE with the intent of learning about using the command line tools to do a little Android development and learning the usage of the common tools in the process. But then I downloaded AIDE and found it much simpler to use; within a few minutes I was writing code to do stuff that actually worked instead of head scratching about command line syntax. Neither of these tools require root, BTW.

If I have to do some tablet development professionally, I will make the leap and get comfortable with the tools. But when it is purely hobby time it is competing with other things I enjoy more than swearing at computers...

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
I removed over 140 mb 's of junk in the lenovo stock ROM, for me all my devices are rooted and running custom Roms, my evo started out with GB, now I am running jb 4.2.2, would love to see 4.2.2 on our tablet but I am not holding my breath. When you get the root bug, its addictive. Personal choice. I love that video

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
The video is pretty funny, but largely accurate. I have been a mostly Intel machine developer for over 30 years and know DOS/Windows inside and out and can follow instructions pretty well. But unless you want to tinker, the reasons for rooting don't seem that compelling. The Lenovo bloat isn't as bad as some others. We have about 12G of the 16G available. A coworker just got a Sony and he only has 10G out of the 16G available.

I am also getting less interested in tinkering with complex systems. I installed the Terminal IDE with the intent of learning about using the command line tools to do a little Android development and learning the usage of the common tools in the process. But then I downloaded AIDE and found it much simpler to use; within a few minutes I was writing code to do stuff that actually worked instead of head scratching about command line syntax. Neither of these tools require root, BTW.

If I have to do some tablet development professionally, I will make the leap and get comfortable with the tools. But when it is purely hobby time it is competing with other things I enjoy more than swearing at computers...

Sad part of it is I see the side of both.
While I Love to customize things.
I also Love things to just work instead of cussing about things and having to go back to square one.
I've had more Defeats then I have Victories.
And while the Victories are SWEET To say the least.
To me I'd just rather be able to sit back and enjoy.

That being said as other's here have also said if your not comfortable messing with it.
Then don't it's really that simple.

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I removed over 140 mb 's of junk in the lenovo stock ROM

Wow - I would have guess a lot higher than that. There is about 12G free with the stock ROM, so 140M would increase the free space a little over 1%. Or is there more to the story?

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Not really, I believe lenovo's stock ROM is about 340 mb zipped, I reduced it as far as I do without causing issues, down to 187 mb zipped, just makes the boot time speed up. I just like to customize everything

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
With the stock ROM, memory shows 12.92G total space on the internal storage; the rest is used by the system. What is the total available with your ROM?

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
In just the system partition, I have 285 mb left, don't ask total space because I have all my Roms, gapp packages etc, space is not an issue, the crap that I don't need or use is removed, face unlock,some languages, all lenovo crap is removed