What's The Happs With The App?

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
This morning, as usual, I went to open the Android Tablet Forum App on my Sony S Tablet. It said "Application not installed". I'm staring at the thing, it has to be there, right? Go to Market and redownload. Download complete. App does not show up on my list. Is this happening to anyone else?:confused::confused::confused:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi jbenham,

I am glad you're reporting this, it brings me to my 'burning question of the day' that I hope you or maybe someone else can help me answer. Is it that apps work to be like a mini-client that connects to the actual software on another external server? Kinda cloud computing/storage as it were? If that's the case, then maybe the software is being updated today or something is going on in the background with its hosting for it to connect to it it's getting some error now that will be fixed shortly? Am I at least in the right ball park on how apps work? Thanks for posting about this, I am sorry to answer your question with one of my own, but I am new to the world of Android and trying to get my head around how it all works. ;)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Ha! I am replying here and expect my keyboard to pop up! Not only that but the first letter in the sentence does not automatically capitalize!:rolleyes: Gives you an idea of how used to tablets we have become. I am kind of new at this too but not afraid to show my ignorance. :) Most of the apps on your tablet are downloaded software programs that you do not need wifi for. You can read a book, play a game, whatever, anywhere you happen to be. Then there are apps, like the one for this forum, the Marketplace, Netflix, etc. that you need a wifi connection in order to use. I am guessing that these app providers have a signed agreement with Google that allow them to use their apps on Android devices. It sounds logical to me that these providers (in this case Android Tablet Forum) have a spot on their website where they can maintain the app page. So you could be right, they may be updating this area of their website. :)

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I know they had trouble with avatars file uploads recently, so I would guess that would indicate that this issue with the board app is probably a transient problem, and related to hosting the rest of the application, the part that houses itself here on the board's server. Something is up on their end today. Thanks again for bringing this up, and for posting what you said, that helps put that burning question of mine to rest in my mind. :)

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I had Tapatalk before I came here and never had an issue with it. Plus you can cover many forums on one app.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Rob, it looks like your app is working fine.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Worth every penny. The problem with uploading avatars was due to a system change they where doing atm and it was taken care of.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Well whatever the problem was, it is working fine now.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Okay it is working. Go figure.:)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Really, hey? :)

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I have not checked for a while, but I think Tapatalk was still free on Getjar if you want to give it a try. ;)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I have not checked for a while, but I think Tapatalk was still free on Getjar if you want to give it a try. ;)

What is Getjar?

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Is an appstore just like the market and Amazon. Is a trusted site and have many paid apps for free. The trade is that they do not auto update their apps like the other two. At least for now, last I heard they were working on this.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D