Where and How do I start EVERYTHING?!

Discussion in 'Augen Gentouch' started by Grimism, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Grimism

Grimism Member

I just got my gentouch78, its the newer version of the tablet. I want to make a nandroad back up but I dont even know how do to this. I am new to the whole droid/tablet scene. Can someone explain how I this. From there how do I change the firmware for my version? I keep reading that the firmware for the older version of gentouch 78 does not work with the newer one. Is this correct? If so what do do? Are there any stable firmwares to use? I simple want to make this to run a little smoother, not as laggy, I want for my apps to stop crashing. Almost all of the stock apps crashed a few times... One of the more important things I want a real market not that joke that comes pre-installed. So are there and firmware builds I can use to make my overall Gentouch experience a lot better?! Thanks!

2. probbiethe1

probbiethe1 Super Moderator Staff Member

First you need to root it and install clockwork recovery and then from there you can make a nandroid back up super easy. And there are market fixes for the gentouch just look around

3. feverhost

feverhost Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    My Tablets: Pandigital White Novel - aPad iRobot RK2818 - Motorola Xoom 4G (Rooted JellyBean 4.1.2) - Kindle Fire - Novo Elf 7" - HP Slate 7" - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
    Unfortunately the firmware update does not work on the new Gentouch78's. I've heard it could brick it. I tried to update myself, and luckily... nothing bad happened. There is suppose to be a firmware released soon, but not official word yet.

The stock App market is horrible... for right now... I suggest SlideME ( SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace ). You can download their APK (SlideME Marketplace | SlideME) and use their app to download directly to your tablet. They currently have 3,159 apps.. sure not the MarketPlace.. but it's better than the few hundred AndAppStore has:

SlidME
    Fun & Games 837
    Utilities 473
    Entertainment 338
    Educational / Reference 236
    Productivity 217
    Lifestyle 216
    Communications 185
    Travel 165
    Music 135
    Health & Fitness 103
    Other 79
    Location & Maps 45
    Social Responsibility 43
    Home & Hobby 29
    Developer / Programmer 17
    Enterprise 6
    Collaboration 5

4. pbrauer

pbrauer Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    Another resource for the Gentouch (although it is more for the older one in terms of downloads) is the Augen Wiki. http://augendev.wikispaces.com/

Lots of good base knowledge, and a great ADB tutorial that is applicable to your device.

5. feverhost

feverhost Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    My Tablets: Pandigital White Novel - aPad iRobot RK2818 - Motorola Xoom 4G (Rooted JellyBean 4.1.2) - Kindle Fire - Novo Elf 7" - HP Slate 7" - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
    That is a great resource for the older Gentouch's, I just wish it would work the newer ones :(

6. cool1100

cool1100 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Archos 7ht, Gentouch 78
    Also try Googling Appslib and install that APK. It is where I got the Nook app and several others. I think this the Archos market.

7. spinach.chin

spinach.chin Member

When I tried to run appslib, I got a message saying that it was incompatible with my device. How did you get it to work?

8. Grimism

Grimism Member

Feverhost, SlideME seems like a decent market. Only problem is don't you need to root the device in order for this to work? So is there anyway I can currently make my tablet more stable, no currently working firmware for 2nd edition? Even most of my system config apps are crashing very often and its pretty frustrating.

9. mgr52

mgr52 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Apad 710
    you do need to root the device but you could try z4root. It is supposed to be a 1 click root app.

10. Grimism

Grimism Member

Rooted it with z4, slideme still didn't work. Crashes as soon as I start it.

I see in z4 super user there is a section that would supposedly show your apps? Possibly the ones you need to root in order for them to work first. Well I don't see slideme in that super user app area. Am I suppose to get it in there first before it works? Because I can't find no way to do so.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  11. Grimism

Grimism Member

Christmas eve bump! regarding my last post.

12. spinach.chin

spinach.chin Member

FWIW, I also have a v2 Gentouch, and I can run slideme without root. Not sure why it won't work on your unit. 1Mobile Market seems to be a better alternative marketplace. It has more available apps, at any rate.

Sorry I can't be more help :(

13. kennyb

kennyb Member

Tablet / Device:
    gentouch78
    apps to rotate screen

14. kennyb

kennyb Member

Tablet / Device:
    gentouch78
    were do u find apps to rotate screen?