Where are my installed apps?

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011
They are not necessarily in /system/app or /data/app. /data/app is actually empty. A search for *.apk found a few places such as /mnt/asec

The IME I am struggling to install, MultiLing Gingerbread Keyboard 0.0.26, does not show up anywhere.

I used Astro application backup. Tried to back it up and it ended up in /sdcard/backup/apps/com.klye.ime.latin-1.apk. Search for klye under / only found a single file, the backup.

This is really confusing for me. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

On the side, how can I copy a file to /system/app? Neither Astro or ES let me do that.

Thanks!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey cheerful, the tool of choice for the task you're describing is Root Explorer (I think there may be a free alternative). Neither Astro nor ES will allow you to view or modify directories/folders that are write-protected. With Root Explorer the whole file system is your playground. :) Obviously, be careful!

-Matt

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Matt is correct that you need Root Explorer to do this on your device, it will let you into the directories you seek as well as allow you to change R/O directories to R/W as needed. Another option for this is ADB, which would allow you to do adb push and adb pull for moving APK files and others. And as Matt also said, "BE CAREFUL"

cheers,
p

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011
I kind of remember somewhere there was a popup to ask me superuser permission. But not sure if it's Astro/ES. Guess not.

1. Do you mean Astro/ES won't even be able to view/find the file if the folder is write-protected? That would explain why /data is shown as empty and it can't find the installed apps there.

2. I am quite good at Unix and bash. Is there such thing as bash in Android which I can just su and do mv/cp?

Thanks!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, great. If you're comfortable with Unix/Linux, then you should consider installing Busybox and Terminal Emulator! With those, you can start a terminal session on your gTAB--and since you have root, all you need to do is type "su" and voila you're good. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of Linux commands that are not functional in Android, but if you add Busybox it will essentially allow you to use many of the commands you're familiar with. By the way, if you already have Titanium Backup, it has an option to fetch and install Busybox for you.

How to Install BusyBox on Rooted Android Phone[GUIDE]

-Matt

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011
Hey cheerful, the tool of choice for the task you're describing is Root Explorer (I think there may be a free alternative). Neither Astro nor ES will allow you to view or modify directories/folders that are write-protected. With Root Explorer the whole file system is your playground. :) Obviously, be careful!

-Matt

What's the free alternative for root explorer? Thanks