Where are the Apps saved?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Taurus - I dream a bold dream it was that easy.

I wish I could find it. After I manual rooted this go around things have not been quite the same smooth sailing as the auto-nooter. I do not have a Language setting anywhere in the tools or settings area. When I go to Settings there is a Keyboard but that only has the original standard options (i.e. sound, etc.). When I go into the Nook Tools the main menu indicates to use another keyboard you need to copy the apk file to the system/app area to get it to work. That is the only other place where I can change the keyboard. When I go into the manage applications all the keyboards are there and appeared to be installed.

So I am real confused at this point on where to go from here. I actually paid for a couple the keyboards that are listed so it would be nice to use them.

d3bear, keyboards work different than regular apps and as Taurus stated they must be choosen via the settings, not launched like a normal app would be. It is also worth noting that not all keyboards work with the Nook. For example most people can't get swype to work on an autonootered Nooks running Android 2.1.

I haven't seen any reports regarding keyboards on B&N 1.2 manualnootered Nooks running Androind 2.2 but they may also have similar issues if it is a Nook/keyboard thing more than an Android/keyboard thing.

Which keyboards are you trying to use? You might also want to checkout the apps section for keyboard threads since there are tips in there for getting certain keyboards working.

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks J515OP..... I switch from the Dev forum and here and I loose track on where I have seen information. There is so much information and knowledge between the the 2 forums.

There is a post that a user had posted that talked about changing keyboards. The 3 that I have been trying is the "Better Keyboard" 7 & 8, Gingerbread, and old school one is the Graffiti Pro.

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
I took a look on the Dev form and found the trick for the keyboards:

[Q] Keyboard and rooted 1.2--what do you use? - xda-developers

Now I have the Better Keyboards working and the others installed. The thread indicates to use the Root Explorer to move the files. I tried to get a free app that was supposed to be "like" Root Explorer but I was only able to use the Root Explorer to work the right magic. Go figure now I have 3 different file management applications.

vermontcathy

Oct 18, 2011
Apps are installed to internal storage: folder /system/app

If you choose to use a application backup app/utility such as Astro file manger or Titanium backup, they both backup your applications apk file to your sd card:
-for Astro - sd card/backups/apps
-for Titanium backup - sd card/titaniumback/

I assume something special has to be done to browse these folders on a PC? I don't see them. I don't need to - I'm just curious (and found this thread by googling "where are apps saved". I'm just curious because, for instance, on the kindle, I uncheck "hide protected system files" and "hide hidden folders" on my PC, and I can see the system folder for the kindle.

I assume that even though I can't see those files, that the free vs. full space shown for the MyNOOKcolor drive that shows when I connect my rooted nook (MN) is an accurate representation of how full "internal memory" is?

Thanks.