Which android 2.1 tablets are going to be upgraded to 2.2

clerky96

Sep 21, 2010
Anyone know. I wouldn't mind getting a 2.1 if I thought it was going to be able to be upgraded to 2.2 otherwise I am going to wait. Thanks.

synaptyc

Sep 22, 2010
I am currently waiting for one that comes with the following:
Android 2.2
7 inch screen
Multi-touch (two points or more)
740mhz+ cpu PLUS 3D hardware acceleration
Wifi
G Sensor
Bluetooth
1.3mp webcam (or better)
Expandability: 16GB-32GB SD card
external USB
GPS chip internal

PRICE: $200 or under

I have had 2 of the first wave of Android Tablets. The iRobot APAD and the white M001. Both were lacking all the way around.
If someone could just knockoff the Moto Droid in a 7" screen format with no keyboard of course I believe the Android Tablets would gain a much needed foothold in this niche.

Time will tell i suppose =)

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
G10 seems to have come up with a 2.2 version. Hope they release the updates of the firmware as well.

Sent from my M701 using Tapatalk

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Anyone know. I wouldn't mind getting a 2.1 if I thought it was going to be able to be upgraded to 2.2 otherwise I am going to wait. Thanks.
Unless you have a firmware upgrade plan in writing (preferably in blood) from the manufacturer - Don't take any future hypothetical upgrades into account when making your purchase decision.
If what you get for your money when you buy it isn't really what you want the minute you buy it - don't.

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
Unless you have a firmware upgrade plan in writing (preferably in blood) from the manufacturer - Don't take any future hypothetical upgrades into account when making your purchase decision.
If what you get for your money when you buy it isn't really what you want the minute you buy it - don't.

LOL. Totally agree... you can't get an insurance out of these things.

Sent from my M701 using Tapatalk

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Right now the buzz is the PanDigital Novel being replicated into a tablet. That relies on OSD touchscreen navigation as there is no hardware for home or menu. There is power on and off switch, reset hole and volume up and down toggle. OEM ROM gives you Android OS 2.0, 800MHz, 256MB, 1GB of internal storage and up to 32GB using SDHC full card size. It rotates in any direction when you turn it quick it cost $169.99 if you sign up for coupon mailing you can get 20% off coupon getting it for $137.99 or even better do a price match from Walgreens for $10-$20 dollars off.

62030_439026362948_579882948_5306159_1699960_n.jpg

Shown is the latest Rooted ROM Cruz UI 1.2b with 100% OSD navigation it does rotate sync automatically when you turn side to side.

So OEM ROM and 8/20 Rooted ROM will allow you to use the volume up and down toggle for navigation. Once you get the latest Cruz UI 1.2b everything changes to 100% OSD touchscreen navigation. The issue with Rooted ROM that games like Rage of Thunder looks cool except 3D is lousy cars look white outlines and crash into the wall because the device just can't handle it. Some apps don't use the full 800x600 screen in this 7" e-reader/tablet hybrid.

OEM ROM is not rooted, you get Web browsing, video player, music player (these have to run off your SDHC card) Android OS but it sure doesn't feel like it. This one use 802.11b,g,n. If you have N Wireless Router then your in lock the throughput on this device in 802.11n environment is much better than what you get today.

The device is very heavy because of the glass glossy layer protecting the LCD touch panel. Now there is a black matted plastic layer which is lighter, but funny thing about that one it use Android OS 1.5 you get 2GB of internal storage instead of 1GB in the White version.

Both are only 4:3 not 16:9 aspect ratio for 7" but you do get 800x600 instead of the 800x480 for 7" 16:9

Last edited:

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Another thing to consider, is that until Android 3.0 arrives, there is no Android version really meant to be used with tablets.
Small manufacturers (cheap China tablets) just take any std Android version and leave it basically "as is".
Bigger manufacturers (like Samsung) tweak std Android to be better suited for tablets, but it's still tweaks.
At this point (and especially if manufacturers think I ought to shell out lots of $$$ for at tablet) I'd wait for the Android 3.0 equipped tablets, bound to flood the market once it's released. There's no telling if any of the current tablet hardware will be able to accommodate Android 3.0 and if some do, if the manufacturers see any financial advantage in releasing upgrades.

Last edited: