Which tablet did you buy and why?

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Discuss.. I'll start.. I was looking for about 2 weeks.. 1st wondering what I'd even do with one.. But,still,they piqued my interest.. I settled on the Xoom. I love the look.I love the feel. Had enough connections. SD micro works now. You can get a usb adapter... Only had it for less than 1 day and still trying to figure it out,but it is very fun. My brother saw it and he wants one now..lol

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Can't go wrong with the first honeycomb tablet ever and first google experience tablet!

Welcome to the forum!

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Thanks Wicked.. I'm loving it so far,but haven't even grazed the surface.. Trying to figure out the best apps to use for texting ect..

orion7x

Jul 27, 2011
I got the Xoom and have android 3.2 on it. I like it a lot. The SD card still has issues. Its there but you have to hook to a computer to write to it right now. Google politics is the issue, not the device. But I have played with several other tablets and they all have some issue. Not one is perfect. Go to Best buy and play with them. I prefer the xoom so far overall. I have a 32gb SD card in it and loaded it up and it works very well but not all bases patched yet. So in actuality I have 64 gb running on it. I have a huge library of stuff I want to carry around so it will take time to get enough SD cards. Or an adapter for the use and an external drive. Big external drive.... lol... over all I love my tablet and I know it still young in technology and will improve daily. Apps get updated almost daily... Enjoy, hope this helps....

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
I went to best buy several times to figure out which one I wanted also. Tough decision. I love the xoom tho. Only thing is,no touch sense? :(

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

Dizmatic

Dec 17, 2010
Decided on the Acer Iconia A500. Great features like the USB port, HDMI and good hardware build.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

spark

Jul 27, 2011
Hello everybody,
I just registered myself when I saw this thread. I plan to buy a tablet but I can hardly make a decision, so I linked me in here. I'm looking for a high quality tablet, with a good screen and processor, a good size (about like the ipad, not too wide) and it should be good looking (and not too heavy). USB Port and Sd-Card are very welcome, especially if there is no 64 Gb version. 3g is not necessary, camera and sound is secondary. A onboard filemanager would also be a nice feature.
The tablets I checked out so far and that made a rather good impression are:
- Asus Eee Pad
- Acer Iconia
- Motorola Xoom
- Packard Bell Liberty Tab (don't know much about it, but it is offered by a local seller)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Toshiba Tablet (though I thought it wasn't of good quality, bulky and wide (right?))
Which one would you recommand?
I would appreciate it, if owners of these devices can tell of there experience. Thanks
Unfortunately there is no best buy or similar store that offers tablets in my area :(.

Only thing is,no touch sense? :(
What do you mean with that??

Last edited:

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Spark,I was in the same boat.. I picked the Xoom because I liked the feel,the screen,Liked where the power button was on the back. Its got hdmi,sd card slot that works now. You can buy the $20 usb plug in at best buy.. I was interested in the HP Touchpad too,just started another thread on that one. I think they are all good,its all personal preference.. I didn't like the feel of the back on the transformer or the thrive. The iconia was decent but felt a lot cheaper than the xoom. The galaxy is nice,but $100 for 32 gb,plus the only option for storage is a usb dongle your can buy.. No sd slots or anything..

mitmille

Jul 28, 2011
I originally went with the Xoom. As an ex-Apple employee, I originally was thinking iPad2 but wanted more of a open environment and I liked the Honeycomb OS over iOS for feature and functionality.

I purchased my Xoom from Amazon (love those guys) but decided to return after a few weeks. I loved everything about the XOOM except for the power connection. It just seemed flimsy to me and I didn't want to carry around another cable and I preferred USB for power as well.

So, now I'm looking for a different unit. Swaying towards the ASUS. But, I do have the Motorola Atrix and I might try one of their docks instead.

The saga of keeping up with the best technology continues ....

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
I haven't even had to charge my yet so I can't comment on that.. Only had it for 2 days. I haven't really needed to take mine out of the house yet..

klindsay1824

Jun 10, 2011
Ok here's my advice for what its worth! I bought the Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 16gb 3G - lets keep this simple - too small to be a tablet contender - too big to replace a phone! I sold it in favour of an Asus Eee Pad Transformer complete with docking keypad. This was a really good tablet although the keypad didn't really do it for me - if I'd wanted a netbook there are plenty on the market that would out perform this imposter! That said the Transformer is a very good tablet for the price. So why did I sell mine? The simple answer is I got my hands on a Galaxy Tab 10.1 32gb wifi only and although there is nothing between them on operating specs there is a huge difference in looks and feel. The Asus is a bit rough or should I say sharp around the edges and doesn't really cut it in the feel and style stakes. So it boils down to a simple matter of choice if you are happy with a cheaper functional tablet buy the Asus - if you want the best looking android tablet get the 10.1 Tab. Simples!

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
I don't like the copper around the Transformer,nor the feel of the back. I didn't think the galaxy was all that.. Plus you get the updates faster on the Xoom. I let you know how ice cream sandwich is for a couple months before other android tabs get it.. :)

spark

Jul 27, 2011
I think it is to early to buy the HP Touchpad though it's strong performance. The WebOs is a young os (for tablets) and I think it lacks of tablet apps. Unfortunately the store I'll visit only has the Eee Tab, the Iconia and the xoom (and msi windpad with windows 7). The samsung 10.1 will arrive in some weeks. I think I have to see them by myself as the design is probably the biggest difference between them.
I just read about the Xoom 2 which should bring major improvements regarding the hardware EDIT(if it really has a quad core (kal-el)). I wonder if I should wait for it but I don't know when it can be expected.
I don't know how important the back really is, if you are on the road a case is more or less necessary if you don't want to run into danger to damage your tablet.

Last edited:

Mike02z

Jul 5, 2011
I have had an iPad since a couple of weeks after it was released. I purchased an iPad 2 and sold my iPad a week after the 2 came out. I purchased a Playbook. 3 weeks ago I purchased my first Android device, The Acer Iconia. Last week Staples had a coupon for 100 off any tablet. I figured since I had a 50 Best Buy reward certificate from all my other tablet purchases, and IF I could get Best Buy to match the Staples offer I would try the Asus Transformer. Well, Best Buy matched and now I have 4 tablets. (Yes, I like my gadgets. It is my only real hobby and no, I'm not rich, far from it.) I like each for different reasons. Below are my personal Pros/Cons list for each device. YMMV :)

iPad 2
Pros:
*Tons of apps!
*The Apple design is sleek and they make it simple for anyone to use.
*The "gold" standard in Tablets

Cons:
*Cost (699 for the non 3G WiFi)
*Having to drink the Apple Kool-Aid
*Screen dimensions not optimal for watching 16:9 HD movies
*No way to add additional storage
*No USB
*No real HDMI
*No Flash!
*Camera's suck

PlayBook
Pros:
*Easily links with my work email via Blackberry bridge
*Right aspect ratio for watching 16:9 HD content
*Much more portable than the others being only 7"
*Mini HDMI output
*Supports Flash!
*Sturdy construction

Cons:
*Cost (699 for 64GB)
*No native email client (WTF!)
*OS has a way to go yet. A bit clunky IMHO
*Apps are the worst of the 3 stores

Acer Iconia
Pros:
*Cost (339.15 after a 15% discount)
*Full size USB (supports mini hard drives)
*HDMI out
*Micro SD supported in Honeycomb 3.0
*More apps then Blackberry
*Honeycomb 3.1 is very flexible
*Screen aspect ratio good for watching 16:9 HD content
*Seems solid, Nice exterior treatment
*Better Camera's than the iPad IMHO

Cons:
*Still not nearly as many apps as Apple
*Feels a bit Bulky compared to the iPad/Transformer
*Battery life not as long as iPad or Playbook
*Charge cord WAY too short

Asus Transformer
Pros:
*Best Price! (299 after 100 off Price Match)
*Dock is very versatile and adds 2USB and a full size SD slot plus a ton of additional run time
*Honeycomb 3.1 is very flexible
*Screen aspect ratio good for watching 16:9 HD content
*HDMI out
*Camera's about equal to the Iconia

Cons:
*No USB support without dock
*Seems a bit flimsy
*Still not nearly as many apps as Apple
*Feels a bit Bulky compared to the iPad
*No native micro SD support (I hear this will come in 3.2)
*Proprietary power/sync cable

Last edited:

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
I bought a Witstech A81H. I liked the 7" screen format, the full size USB port that supported the Virgin Mobile EVDO dongle and the removable battery.

BTW, I'd already owned the dongle for a year as it was for my netbook. Today, I'd just get a MIFI critter. Being on a fixed income, I had to economize and make the best of what I had. Next year if my personal budget allows me to do so, I might look into a Toshiba Thrive and a MIFI device.