Which tablet, I narrowed it down to a few, input requested!

judyneric

Nov 19, 2011
I've never used a tablet, but I am buying one, and it has to be from Barnes & Noble because I have years worth of gift cards to get rid of.

I'd like any input anyone can provide on the following ideas.

I have narrowed it down to the following 4 tablets:

Coby Kyros MID1024 ---- $218

Coby Kyros MID1126 ---- $240

Coby Kyros MID1125 ---- $218

Archos 101 8GB -------- $285

1. All the tablets have 1GHz, Cortex A8 processors. On the Coby models, the MID1024 is a Samsung S5PV210, and the other Cobys are Telechip. The Archos is ARM. Is there any superior choice among these different processors?

2. The Coby MID1125 and MID1126 both have Android 2.3. The MID1024 and the Archos have Android 2.2 (but the Archos calls it Android 2.2 Froyo... is that the same?). Does it really matter if these tablets have 2.2 or 2.3?

3. As far as the touchscreen, the Archos and the MID1125 says they are "capacitive multi-touch." The other 2 Coby models just say "capacitive." Is multi-touch quite important on these devices?

4. As far as Flash support, Archos claims it is Flash ready, but I have seen a lot of reviews that it isn't really. I am not sure if Coby does Flash at all, or if it can be hacked to provide Flash. Can any/all of these devices be made Flash-compatible?

5. The Android Marketplace. It seems like everyone wants their tablet to be updated to be able to access it. I don't think any of my 4 chouces come standard with it, but all can be hacked to provide it? Yes or no?

6. They all have a 10 inch screen, but the MID102 and MID 1125 have 1024x600 WSVGA. The MID1126 is 1024x768 XGA. The Archos is 1024x600 pixels WXVGA. Are any of these massively better than the others?

7. Does ayone know if any of these tablets can play Netflix (yes, I have a subscription).

I'm sure I have 42 other questions I haven't thought of, but that's it for now.

Any input on my choices would be great, thanks a lot!

Last edited:

tgtoys

Nov 19, 2011
Out of these, I would go Archos 101.

1. ARM processor is going to be the most flexible since it is the same brand as most higher grade tablets use.
2. Android 2.2 is Froyo (Froyo is the nickname for 2.2, just as 2.3 is Gingerbread, 3.0 is Honecomb and 4.0 is Ice Cream Sandwich, that's how Google names their Android releases. 2.3 is MUCH better with speed, security and feature enhancements. 2.2 will just do.
3. As long as it says capacative, they are the same (for the purposes of this discussion). Yes multi touch is a pretty big deal, especially since a vast majority of apps support/depend on it now. You can get away without it, but it's nice to have. Main thing is that it is a capacative touch screen, which works based on static electricity from your finger rather than a resistive touch screen which works based on pressure to the screen. Capacative is much smoother and is what's used on higher end and modern devices. Resistive is old school, and quite frankly, garbage unless you're using a stylus.
4. So long as they are running at least 2.2 they should be able to run flash. It may take some work arounds, but given the processor and operating system they are capable.
5. Possibility to hack it to run marketplace, but even if it doesn't you can use Amazon AppStore, SlideIt, GetJar, etc. There are several different marketplaces out there that aren't through Google directly. Main thing here is you will not get Google made apps, such as Maps, GMail, Talk, etc. You will have to use other similar apps.
6. Resolution wise the 1126 has the best screen, but I'm guessing none of them are going to really amaze. The Archos has HDMI output so at least you can plug into a TV and output hi def video.
7. Most likely, yes. Netflix can be downloaded from the Amazon Appstore and is available for most devices now. I guarantee the device is capable, so if you can't initially download it you will be able to with some tweaks/hacks.

Hope that helped, but just in case here's my .02 cents...
Forget all of those. Don't get any of them. Coby is just downright bad, nothing else to it. Archos is a good company, but this tablet is lacking and is way overpriced. $300 will get you way more right now. Since you HAVE to get it from B&N, I would say get the Nook Tablet. It has the best hardware and will definitely be hacked to run full out Android (keep up at XDA Developers, they got the original Nook to run Android, so this tablet will be a breeze). Best case scenario, try to sell the gift card and buy from Amazon or somewhere else. Within the next week the price of many current high end devices will drop! For instance, the Acer Iconia A500 will be going for $299 starting this week. This is due to the fact that the new line of tablets utilizing the Tegra 3 processors and new 4.0 operating system are coming out. I noticed B&N sells the Toshiba Thrive, which is decent for a higher end device (not the best, but way better than what you're looking at) keep an eye on the price, might drop very soon.

Good luck, I hope I helped!

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
No kidding, the A500 is going to go for $299? Wow, that has my vote! :) I did a lot of comparing of tablets looking for a birthday present for my wife. Ended up getting her the A100 because she specifically wanted a 7" tablet. If the Sony S Tablet hadn't of come out when it did, the A500 was on the top of my list for a 10" for me.

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
I don't get why you're saying the Coby "is downright bad." I have one and love it, as do many other folks (evidenced by the reviews here and elsewhere).

To the OP: I have the Coby Kyros MID 7022. It has Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), capacitive multi-touch screen, SD slot, HDMI slot, 1 Ghz processor, 4 gb internal storage, etc. I've only had it for a few weeks but I'm really enjoying it. Its processor is really fast, I downloaded Adobe Flash quickly and easily at one of the free app. sites, and have been watching programs and vids. I haven't tried Netflix yet.

Have you checked out the 7022? I don't know which one it compares to in your list. You can get it for anywhere between $140 and $180, from what I've seen lately.

Out of these, I would go Archos 101.

1. ARM processor is going to be the most flexible since it is the same brand as most higher grade tablets use.
2. Android 2.2 is Froyo (Froyo is the nickname for 2.2, just as 2.3 is Gingerbread, 3.0 is Honecomb and 4.0 is Ice Cream Sandwich, that's how Google names their Android releases. 2.3 is MUCH better with speed, security and feature enhancements. 2.2 will just do.
3. As long as it says capacative, they are the same (for the purposes of this discussion). Yes multi touch is a pretty big deal, especially since a vast majority of apps support/depend on it now. You can get away without it, but it's nice to have. Main thing is that it is a capacative touch screen, which works based on static electricity from your finger rather than a resistive touch screen which works based on pressure to the screen. Capacative is much smoother and is what's used on higher end and modern devices. Resistive is old school, and quite frankly, garbage unless you're using a stylus.
4. So long as they are running at least 2.2 they should be able to run flash. It may take some work arounds, but given the processor and operating system they are capable.
5. Possibility to hack it to run marketplace, but even if it doesn't you can use Amazon AppStore, SlideIt, GetJar, etc. There are several different marketplaces out there that aren't through Google directly. Main thing here is you will not get Google made apps, such as Maps, GMail, Talk, etc. You will have to use other similar apps.
6. Resolution wise the 1126 has the best screen, but I'm guessing none of them are going to really amaze. The Archos has HDMI output so at least you can plug into a TV and output hi def video.
7. Most likely, yes. Netflix can be downloaded from the Amazon Appstore and is available for most devices now. I guarantee the device is capable, so if you can't initially download it you will be able to with some tweaks/hacks.

Hope that helped, but just in case here's my .02 cents...
Forget all of those. Don't get any of them. Coby is just downright bad, nothing else to it. Archos is a good company, but this tablet is lacking and is way overpriced. $300 will get you way more right now. Since you HAVE to get it from B&N, I would say get the Nook Tablet. It has the best hardware and will definitely be hacked to run full out Android (keep up at XDA Developers, they got the original Nook to run Android, so this tablet will be a breeze). Best case scenario, try to sell the gift card and buy from Amazon or somewhere else. Within the next week the price of many current high end devices will drop! For instance, the Acer Iconia A500 will be going for $299 starting this week. This is due to the fact that the new line of tablets utilizing the Tegra 3 processors and new 4.0 operating system are coming out. I noticed B&N sells the Toshiba Thrive, which is decent for a higher end device (not the best, but way better than what you're looking at) keep an eye on the price, might drop very soon.

Good luck, I hope I helped!

judyneric

Nov 19, 2011
What is the price range on these? Multi-touch is an important feature.

I updated the prices in the original post. I shoulda included them in the first place! Thanks for your opinion on multi-touch.

Coby Kyros MID1024 ---- $218

Coby Kyros MID1126 ---- $240

Coby Kyros MID1125 ---- $218

Archos 101 8GB -------- $285

judyneric

Nov 19, 2011
Tgtoys, thanks for all the info. It's a lot to think about for sure! Not a bad idea to flip the gift cards....

As far as Coby, I know they make a lot of low-end electronics that aren't very good, but I was surprised at the good reviews for their tablets.

All of the tablets have HDMI out, so that's a non-factor. I only included the differences between the tablets. I already eliminated all the resistive touch screens from my search. If being able to use your fingers is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

And the prices will be dropping soon? Oh, great! That means I have to renew my search! LOL

I had no idea there is a Nook Tablet. I have a Nook (noncolor) eReader, which I find less than impressive, but had no idea any Nook could be turned into a pretty fiunctional tablet. I'll definitely check into it.

Thanks for all your input tgtoys!

judyneric

Nov 19, 2011
Teatime, thanks for letting me know your experience with Coby tablets. Like I mentioned to tgtoys, I have seen some really good reviews, and the reviews seem really solid.

I didn't check out the MID7022 because it isn't on Barnes and Noble. But I'll check it for comparison's sake. I glanced all the MID7---- Series on B&N, but decided to go with the 10" screens... although that may turn out to be a bad choice since my 8 year old will probably be using this thing more than me.

Thanks for your opinion, Teatime!

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I will be interested in your opinion of the Color Nook when you check it out. I never had an occasion to do so, but people that have them seem to like them. I bought my wife an A100 as she wanted a 7" and it is really nice device. Someone posted that the A500 will be on sale for $299 this week. I haven't looked at any of the devices you listed. Good luck!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I would say get the Nook Tablet. It has the best hardware and will definitely be hacked to run full out Android (keep up at XDA Developers, they got the original Nook to run Android, so this tablet will be a breeze).

According to XDA, it's not going to be a breeze. The original Nook Color didn't have a locked bootloader, the Tablet does. [BOOT] Worse news (was "Bad news everyone.") - xda-developers

More here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...re-nook-tablet-not-quite-open-we-thought.html

Last edited:

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
A store on Ebay was selling a whole bunch of refurbished Nook Colors for $149 each. I was really tempted but it didn't have all of the features I wanted, especially HDMI. What's funny is that I downloaded the Nook app on my Coby and I don't like it AT ALL. I am finding that the e-reader it came with (can't remember the name of it) is more user-friendly so that's the one I'm using.

judy, have you seen the tablets or tried them out in person? The 7-inch Coby is plenty heavy and I can't imagine using the 10-inch version. For me, it would cease to be as portable as I want it to be. Just my opinion, though.

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
If you are willing to invest the time to root it the NookColor can be a low entry fee into a quality tablet.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I noticed Target is offering a $30 gift card with the purchase of the Nook Color @$199, if you shop at Target and would spend the money there anyway it brngs the cost of a new Nook Color to a very reasonavle $170.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

judyneric

Nov 19, 2011
Teatime, good point, I never really considered the weight.... I was too busy focusing on capabilities. Thanks

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
FYI, one of the Best Buy Black Friday deals is the Acer Iconia A100 7" tablet for $180. That is $150 off of the regular price.