Which tablet should I get - Xoom 32Gig Wifi or Galaxy Tab 10.1 16Gig Wifi?

kelsoanim

Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading to a new tablet soon. I'm planning on getting either the Motorola Xoom or Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I am having a hard time making the final decision. I know both are very similar so I'm hoping I could get some advice here to help sway me towards one or the other.

Here's what I want to use the tablet for:
  • News reading (Pulse)
  • Web browsing
  • Netflix
  • Magazines , eBooks and Comics
  • Gaming
The only big difference I can see right now is lack of SD slot on the Galaxy Tab. I've also heard that the Galaxy Tab's screen is a bit nicer, though and that the device is a bit sleeker and lighter. What do you guys think?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I spent a month testing the galaxy and the xoom for VZW. The galaxy is prettier and slicker, but that is it. Hands down I liked the Xoom better. Speakers had more power and better sound. Button placement and response were better on the Xoom. Screen feel and touch were better on the Xoom. Factory/Manufacturer support are better. User community is more advanced in what they have been able to hack, etc. I cannot be more adamant, I recommend the Xoom over the Galaxy.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading to a new tablet soon. I'm planning on getting either the Motorola Xoom or Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I am having a hard time making the final decision. I know both are very similar so I'm hoping I could get some advice here to help sway me towards one or the other.

Here's what I want to use the tablet for:
  • News reading (Pulse)
  • Web browsing
  • Netflix
  • Magazines , eBooks and Comics
  • Gaming
The only big difference I can see right now is lack of SD slot on the Galaxy Tab. I've also heard that the Galaxy Tab's screen is a bit nicer, though and that the device is a bit sleeker and lighter. What do you guys think?
Regarding the screen, the Xoom has the worst by a fair margin when compared to the Acer Iconia A500, ASUS Transformer, and the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The 10.1 has actually been rated the best tablet display on the major market at the moment, besting even the iPad 2. The Xoom uses a TN display, as far as I know, compared to the IPS display on the Transformer, iPad, and Galaxy Tab; which is a big difference with viewing angles, and (generally) color reproduction, etc.

The Xoom, as pbrauer said, does have quite good sound from what I hear. Considerably better than others. The Galaxy Tab is also much lighter/thinner, as you mentioned.

Overall, it depends on what you value more. Considering your uses above, the Galaxy Tab has great construction and a really good screen, but the Xoom gets you more space for your money, provides a MicroSD slot, and also has quite good sound. The Xoom also runs stock Honeycomb, while the Galaxy Tab runs TouchWix (personal preference, really; although the Xoom will likely be updated to the latest OS versions faster).