Which Tablet?

Neublet

Nov 23, 2011
I am buying a new tablet I have been considering the Prime but I have been reading that is has wifi and gps issues. I am not waiting to buy the 700. So my question is which tablet is the best (not iPad). I want to be able to watch Netflix hbogo youtube, listen to music, it must have an hdmi port. I would like a decent camera. I do not want a laptop or a desktop (so please don't explain to me why I should spend the money on a laptop over a tablet. I do not really care if its 10" or smaller. I just want a good tablet that can be upgraded to ICS with these functions. So any suggestions? (price isn't really an issue, but if i can get the same experience for $250 as $500..ill take the $250 :p)

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Yes, there are a lot of reports with GPS and WiFi issues. At TransformerForums we have a LOT of satisfied members with their Prime's. Honestly, more are satisfied than are dis-satisfied. It is just those that are unhappy are yelling the loudest.

I have a TF101, and other than using hbogo, it does all of that. It can do hbogo but I do not have an account (since I do not have any paid satellite or cable) and am not one to pirate using another persons user ID. Most users have said using the stock Browser in Honeycomb you can watch hbogo just fine.

And with the Prime's that have been updated to ICS it is a much better tablet experience and it is what Honeycomb should have been.

IMHO, if you want the Prime, go for it. Get it from a retailer with a good return policy if you do have issues. If you are worried about the Prime, grab the TF101, it will be getting ICS around the 1st of February. Playing with some beta ports of ICS on the TF101 I can tell you it is so much smoother than Honeycomb. The build I played with did not have a working camera or google services, but the browser experience was amazing.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I probably would be doing so now as well, Fredurico (tinkering with the ICS beta ROMS, that is), if I hadn't of sold my TF101 for the Prime. Still haven't got it yet, though. Now I can't decide whether to wait for the 700!

Anyway, on the original topic:

As Fredurico said, I believe that the people with issues with the Prime are voicing their opinions the loudest. It's a extremely solid device (literally and figuratively), I would recommend it over all competition right now. I myself will probably wait for the 700, but if your aren't then the Prime is still your best choice. It's just well-designed and well built, especially so with the option for the Keyboard Dock. So, I hold the same opinion here - if you want one, go for it. Buy from a reputable retailer with a good return policy (Amazon is incredible in that area, you can return for basically any reason, and they will ship a replacement before you even send yours in!). Don't worry about issues - if you have any, just take it back.

Besides, the only main issue it seems that is occurring is issues with the GPS signal. Wi-Fi performance is only slightly worse (and in some cases, better) than the TF101.

I doubt you'll regret it. Plus, you get ICS right away as an update!

Neublet

Nov 23, 2011
I was under the impression that the wifi issue was related to the aluminum back...if it is because of the back then why is it that only a small percentage of users have issues with the wifi? By the way, thank you both for your responses, I have made posts on a few other tablet forums and I haven't gotten responses yet. So thank you.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
I am buying a new tablet I have been considering the Prime but I have been reading that is has wifi and gps issues. I am not waiting to buy the 700. So my question is which tablet is the best (not iPad). I want to be able to watch Netflix hbogo youtube, listen to music, it must have an hdmi port. I would like a decent camera. I do not want a laptop or a desktop (so please don't explain to me why I should spend the money on a laptop over a tablet. I do not really care if its 10" or smaller. I just want a good tablet that can be upgraded to ICS with these functions. So any suggestions? (price isn't really an issue, but if i can get the same experience for $250 as $500..ill take the $250 :p)

Hi Neublet, for a 10" tablet PC, i would recommend the Zenithink zt-280 C91 for you, it's now available with the android 4.0 ICS version. and it's for $224.9 with shipping in our site.
for 7" tablets, i think the newest android 4.0 tablet Ainol Novo 7 Elf will also be a good choice!
Hope you can find what you want, good luck!:)

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I was under the impression that the wifi issue was related to the aluminum back...if it is because of the back then why is it that only a small percentage of users have issues with the wifi? By the way, thank you both for your responses, I have made posts on a few other tablet forums and I haven't gotten responses yet. So thank you.

Yes, the aluminum back is stunting some of the WiFi signal in some units, but not all. Many users have done tests over at TransformerForums comparing the TF101 to the TF201 WiFi, and also the TF201 vs. iPh*ne 4. For the average user in an average house, you will not notice a difference. The main difference is when you get far from the WiFi access point. The most common place for this to happen would be at a hotel if you were on the end of the hallway and the hotel did not have many WiFi access points. For download speeds, they are no different than with a laptop, iPh*ne or TF101 around the house.

Some users have weaker GPS with the TF201 vs. TF101 (not seeing as many satellites when sitting next to each other) but most can use it for GPS without WiFi. There are a handful that have issues where they cannot see more than 1 or 2 satellites and therefore cannot get an accurate fix.

The second part of this is that users hear about these issues so they start LOOKING for the problem and then start yelling about it. My TF101 is not perfect, it has a little light bleed, the case has a creak or two. But, what it can do far outweighs the issues that it has. I could start yelling that I have light leaks and this tablet is bad, but overall it is perfect for what I want my tablet to do.