Which to get? Wait for Kindle Fire or get my Nook Tablet now?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ah. That would suggest the Nook Tablet may view better under a wider range of conditions. OTOH it doesn't have Gorilla Glass, so it may be more fragile.

Why can't somebody make a 7" with all the best features in one device?

They do, they just cost more ;) I don't think there is gong to be much of a difference between the Nook and Fire displays.

gnivrix

Nov 6, 2011
B&N Nook Tablet has 7” multi-touch display with 1024*600 resolution with Corning’s Gorilla glass and anti-glare coating. I'll go for the Nook. Marketing-wise, B&N has positioned its products as "quality products" not just cheap products the way Amazon markets itself (not that I think that Fire is a "cheap" device.)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
B&N Nook Tablet has 7” multi-touch display with 1024*600 resolution with Corning’s Gorilla glass and anti-glare coating. I'll go for the Nook. Marketing-wise, B&N has positioned its products as "quality products" not just cheap products the way Amazon markets itself (not that I think that Fire is a "cheap" device.)

Do you have a source for the Gorilla Glass inclusion? I haven't seen anything officially saying that yet.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Because it is so hard to find I am guessing that listing is an error. I'd like to see something a little more officail or mainstream.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I did a chat with someone on the B&N website. He was very direct in indicating the Nook Tablet did not have Gorilla Glass. Of course he could be wrong too, but there was no hesitation in his response.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the update tonyp. This is as I suspected or it would be more obvious. Gorilla Glass is nice but it isn't the be all end all. A screen protector will do wonders as sill a case. So far my Nook as survived a 3 foot drop on to concrete with only a screen protector. The bezel now has some scratches but otherwise ok.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
They do, they just cost more ;) I don't think there is gong to be much of a difference between the Nook and Fire displays.

Well it looks like we have an answer about the difference in the Nook Tablet and Fire screens. Nook Tablet: Hands-on with Barnes & Noble's alternative to the Kindle Fire - Computerworld

"Now that I've had a chance to use the Nook Tablet, I've been able to identify some of its strengths, and a few of its weaknesses. Here are my initial impressions, particularly in comparison with the Kindle Fire. (This piece will be updated when we complete our full review.)...

And though the Nook Tablet doesn't excel as a tablet, it stays true to its roots as an LCD e-reader that is optimized for reading. That's one area where Amazon's Kindle Fire may have tripped up. The Nook Tablet's unique display has less reflectivity than the Kindle Fire's, and so is easier to read. In addition, some fonts and videos render more sharply on it than on the Fire...

Like the Amazon Kindle Fire, the Nook Tablet provides numerous reading options; but the Nook Tablet's screen is far superior...

The Nook Tablet's display was dazzling overall. It's basically the same as the one on the Nook Color; but Barnes & Noble says that the new display incorporates some improvements from the company's display supplier.

Those improvements--and not software enhancements--account for the Nook Tablet's superior handling of whites and browns. In a test image, for example, skin tones and a brown sweater looked far more realistic on the Nook Tablet than on the Nook Color.

The screen's glare was minimal, thanks to what Barnes & Noble calls its VividView display. The IPS display is laminated and bonded; so unlike on other tablets's displays--including the Kindle Fire's--there's no annoying, visible air gap between the glass screen and the LCD beneath.

That's not to say that glare has completely disappeared on the Nook Tablet, but the difference is obvious in a side-by-side comparison. The VividView display also enhances the contrast and viewing angle of the Nook Tablet versus the Kindle Fire...

As for how the Nook Tablet tracks with the Kindle Fire, here's our first take: For reading, you're better off with the Nook Tablet. For everything else, check back soon to read our full evaluation of the Nook Tablet, and to see where it fits into the current tablet landscape."

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Keep in mind that this is v1 of the software and Amazon is likely to make great improvements. The Nook Color has a year of software updates that have helped since the initial launch. The hardware limitations are not so easily fixed though (i.e. 512MB RAM, limited internal storage and no SD card slot).