Who has gotten the Honeycomb update while rooted on .56 update?

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
Well if you rooted and have the SD card memory swap and you try to update it will brick you at least that's what happened to me. :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to be the test case. I wonder how this will affect us with root on .56 but w/out the sd card fix. Guess we'll find out soon enough. Now who wants to give it a shot?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

cyorke

Dec 15, 2011
I had root but no sd card mod. It updated to .57 first then the next day it let me upgrade to HC. Havent had any problems since the upgrade. Obviously lost root but not a huge deal since there wasn't a lot as far as development for the Vtab. Not counting the work done for the sd card mod. I mean road and things like that.

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
Getting my replacement set up now when I get it I will just do honeycomb.I want root but found I really only use my tab for Netflix and games.

Claymoses

Dec 25, 2011
Well if you rooted and have the SD card memory swap and you try to update it will brick you at least that's what happened to me. :(

I have .56, root, SD Card fix, and ClockworkMod recovery. When I try to update, it wants to do the .57 update first, downloads, then when it reboots it goes directly into Clockwork recovery. When I reboot from there it doesn't complete the update.... I even defrosted everything I had frozen, and did a factory reset, still reverts to clockwork recovery when reboots. I haven't undone the SD card fix, that's the only thing I can think of that might be keeping it from updating.

At least it doesn't brick. Kinda scary without an .sbf to fall back on.

Any ideas?

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I have .56, root, SD Card fix, and ClockworkMod recovery. When I try to update, it wants to do the .57 update first, downloads, then when it reboots it goes directly into Clockwork recovery. When I reboot from there it doesn't complete the update.... I even defrosted everything I had frozen, and did a factory reset, still reverts to clockwork recovery when reboots. I haven't undone the SD card fix, that's the only thing I can think of that might be keeping it from updating.

At least it doesn't brick. Kinda scary without an .sbf to fall back on.

Any ideas?

Can you browse using cwm to find the update.zip for the .57 update? You may have to mount the cache folder in cwm. Then see if you can save the update by moving it to the sdcard. Will require mounting the sdcard as well.

If this works presumably the .57 update can be done within cwm while preserving the cwm partition. If so a similar process can work on the 2.0 update if we are lucky.

The only thing I am uncertain about is the sdcard mod. Does this need to be reverted before doing any updates?

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
Can you browse using cwm to find the update.zip for the .57 update? You may have to mount the cache folder in cwm. Then see if you can save the update by moving it to the sdcard. Will require mounting the sdcard as well.

If this works presumably the .57 update can be done within cwm while preserving the cwm partition. If so a similar process can work on the 2.0 update if we are lucky.

The only thing I am uncertain about is the sdcard mod. Does this need to be reverted before doing any updates?

Thats exactly what bricked me.I think clock work mod is broken this is the second time i flashed a mod with it and it bricked me an official mod should not have bricked me.:mad:

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Thats exactly what bricked me.I think clock work mod is broken this is the second time i flashed a mod with it and it bricked me an official mod should not have bricked me.:mad:
I too have a brick now. I did revert the SD card mod. It proceeded with the install ok but on reboot it is all a black screen :(

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
I too have a brick now. I did revert the SD card mod. It proceeded with the install ok but on reboot it is all a black screen :(

brick here as well. lmao oh well second brick since i owned it. lmao i restored my sd fix from my bak. then did a factory wipe. let vizio updater run. rebooted ran about half way then gave the !. tried it from cwm that installed rebooted then nada. full brick nothing at all not even a light. man its gotta be the cwm recovery . i looked for the recovery from stock but doesnt seem to exist. i was going to push that first. but it was a no go. ill call vizio tomorrow after 10 do the advance exchange.oh well. i really dont care at this point. lol

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
brick here as well. lmao oh well second brick since i owned it. lmao i restored my sd fix from my bak. then did a factory wipe. let vizio updater run. rebooted ran about half way then gave the !. tried it from cwm that installed rebooted then nada. full brick nothing at all not even a light. man its gotta be the cwm recovery . i looked for the recovery from stock but doesnt seem to exist. i was going to push that first. but it was a no go. ill call vizio tomorrow after 10 do the advance exchange.oh well. i really dont care at this point. lol

i bet your rom was fine Kaos it was the clockwork mod that was the problem.when i get my new tab i will just honeycomb it and leave it be.

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
Ya good to know. Im feeling that way as well. Now.

Sent from my Miui powered Evo 3D tapa tapa tapa

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I think the problem is that the Vizio tablet has a security key that is fused written to the CPU. Thus any time we try to flash the kernel/ramdisk/uboot in a non-standard way using a non Vizio approved recovery then this results in a brick. If we flash a ROM that doesn't have the kernel (zImage) and ramdisk which flashes only the /system partition, I think it should have been ok. Too late. I should have edited the updater script to remove the zImage, ramdisk, uBoot etc parts and only flashed the /system partition.

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
Ya but i think uboot and kernel are new for honeycomb. Would of been weird issues. Oh well only reson i rooted was for sd. Now that thats fixed ill just take the update if it doesnt come installed on it.

Sent from my Miui powered Evo 3D tapa tapa tapa