Who needs the stock OS? Working magazine reader available!

Zamboniman

Apr 25, 2011
The Zinio magazine reader app is now working fully on the Nook Color. With this, and the Nook app, I don't have any reason anymore to boot into the stock OS. Full time CM7 now looks like a very real possibility.

Check out WORKING Zinio on CM7 !!! - xda-developers for the details.

Here are the links to the two apk's you will need:

Zinio Reader 2.3: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
Zinio Settings Provider: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Make sure you install both for this to work. There are two free issues to look at to check out the functionality before you fork over any money.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
^ Had tried this about a month ago but wasn't working for me at that time. Thanks for passing this along, as the update works!

Asmodeus

Apr 12, 2011
Works perfectly; added the few mags that I still enjoy reading.

Now there is absolutely no reason to downgrade to stock.

mmar141

Mar 23, 2011
Which magazines can you download for free to the nook? The only ones that show up on the application are the 3 free magazines they gave me. Harpers, Road and Track and PC Magazine...

Asmodeus

Apr 12, 2011
Which magazines can you download for free to the nook? The only ones that show up on the application are the 3 free magazines they gave me. Harpers, Road and Track and PC Magazine...

Follow the link in Zamboniman's 2nd post in this thread. I only added Science Magazine form the list available; most of them have expired, some didn't interest me. But I also subscribed to a couple of magazines that were heavily discounted on the Zinio site.

Zamboniman

Apr 25, 2011
Just be aware that there are some magazines you can subscribe to on the main website that aren't available yet on the mobile reader. If you shop from the mobile app itself you should be fine.

The site says it's hard at work converting the rest of them to mobile.

You can still access most of these on your nook though. Just use your browser set to desktop mode and make sure flash is enabled.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Rick09

Apr 7, 2011
Does anybody else get "system low memory" warnings when reading a magazine? It forces me out of the mag I'm reading telling me to close some applications and try again. I'm using Advanced Task Killer and immediately after seeing the message I checked it and it shows I have over 174 MB free. Shouldn't that be more than enough to run this app?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
That should be more than enough to run most any app.

Why are you using a Task Killer ?

You do know they are not recommended, as Android does all the task killing it needs by itself. You can also kill "bad" apps in settings.

Rick09

Apr 7, 2011
Not trying to get too far off topic but, I don't think Android works well enough for me as far as managing memory/apps. I read the article about task killers not recommended or needed and tried without it for a few days. Certain apps and my launcher became very slow and un-responsive during that time. A lot of unused apps were self starting and hogging memory. Web browsing and hulu videos also slowed down. For me I find it to be very useful.

Asmodeus

Apr 12, 2011
Does anybody else get "system low memory" warnings when reading a magazine? It forces me out of the mag I'm reading telling me to close some applications and try again. I'm using Advanced Task Killer and immediately after seeing the message I checked it and it shows I have over 174 MB free. Shouldn't that be more than enough to run this app?

I go that response once. I rebooted and haven't seen it since.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like a memory leak in the app. Maybe report it to the dev.

dirge

Jul 10, 2011

These work very well for the rooted Nook Touch, as well -- thanks! I didn't expect Zinio to work on the Touch as the Market version specifies 2.2 as minimum. (Touch is just 2.1). Now all my "library" apps -- Zinio, PressReader, Perfect Viewer, WikiDroyd, Merriam-Webster, Colordict, and of course Kindle -- are working great. :)

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
This info isn't true anymore. I just put CM7 on my Nook Color and the Zinio app is blocked. It shows up in the Market but there is no button to download it.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I know this is a long shot but does someone have these 2 apk's backed up that they can share with me?