Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
I am. This is a very nice tablet. I might actually sell the Nook for this thing. I'd rather pony up a few extra bones for a full HC experience and stuff like HDMI out.

fbales

May 5, 2010
I'm stoked about the price. It will probably force everyone to cut prices. The tablet doesn't have as nice a screen as the Transformer, but it's still a pretty hot tablet. If the Transformer's price is this low, it should sell well.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I'm stoked about the price. It will probably force everyone to cut prices. The tablet doesn't have as nice a screen as the Transformer, but it's still a pretty hot tablet. If the Transformer's price is this low, it should sell well.

Pretty much with you here. The price will drive down everything else which will make me happy since I want a Galaxy Tab when it comes out in June or the Galaxy Tab stays at the same price but gets slightly better specs...both of which I will be happy with.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Acer likes to cut corners. I have an Acer Liquid E, so I kind of have experience with the quality Acer has, and it is worse than the likes of HTC and Motorola by far. This could turn out to be a flop. ASUS and Motorola both have better products.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I'm going to take the plunge. I'll be ordering one next Friday. I was thinking of waiting until they're in the store but I saw some online unboxings and reviews and am impressed enough to take the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
I have an 89 dollar Acer LED 20" monitor, and it looks nicer than my 200 dollar Asus monitor. Not to say Acer doesn't make crap products, but it doesn't mean they can't make good ones either. Then again, the Asus Transformer is only 50 dollars more, so they're both pretty cheap to be honest.

jedi5diah

Jul 28, 2010
i just bought (32gb) in SG for 799sgd 2 days ago. itz the first in singapore, so i can't wait and paid the early bird price. honeycomb n tegra made this tab amazing at this moment. the hardware is solid and feels very much like htc products. if you are really looking for the best Tab, you will have to wait for Galaxy 10.1 in june. i can't wait anymore therefore i bought this and am very please esp with mail n browser. Pure Awesomeness.

like i said, if you can WAIT there are and always will be better options. cheers!

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Well, after reading what seems like a balanced review on pcmag's Australian site, I took the plunge and preordered one. It sounds like it will fit my needs pretty nicely, though I hope it will be rooted.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
My excitement has faded for the A500. It's still a very nice tablet, but you can get a better screen, most likely much better build quality, and all for 50 clams less if you go with the Asus Transformer, which is what I'm doing. At this point, the only thing the A500 has over the Transformer is the ability to pre-order it.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I've been oscillating between the two, trying to decide if I should keep my order. I finally decided to keep it. However, if the Asus gets released by then I will be tempted to change my mind again. It would be much easier if at least one of them were in the store.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I like the price and full USB port :)

Yeah full usb...can someone tell me is micro usb used a lot in the states? I've never seen anyone use it here and am wondering why it is such a prominent feature in android tablets. Yes I know it is smaller, but still...

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
So with full USB support, does that mean I could put a video file, per say, onto a thumb drive and then drop that onto the system memory without having to plug in the Iconia to my computer?

Also, another good selling point regarding the Iconia is that it doesn't use a proprietary port for charging. This means it's possible to charge the tablet by plugging it into a computer, not just the wall. Btw, don't believe that one news article, it's wrong. The Iconia has NOT been delayed. It's still shipping 24-29th of April.

I keep going back and forth. I have to say, USB support is a plus if it works the way I think it would, and the look of the device is a heck of a lot more exciting than the Transformer, which basically looks like a 1st gen ipad with a funky pattern on the back.

One last thing, does anyone know here if the Acer is flat on the bottom or bowed? One major negative for me with the Transformer is that it has a bowed/rounded back like the first gen iPad, which means that it would wabble if pressed. It looks like the Acer is flat, but I can't tell.

Thanks.