Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
There are a lot of videos on Youtube that look like it's pretty flat. I'm keeping my preorder; soon there will be so many tablets out there, it'll make our heads spin. As long as this one does what I want I'm good.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I found the manual on Acer's site. It states you can connect devices such as keyboards and storage devices. It also states you can access your media files (photos, movies, music) on the usb storage device through the tablet's multimedia apps!

I really like the idea of the full USB port! So, I think i'll take the plung with this one.

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Well I did it! I ordered my Acer A500 from Best Buy today. I think this will be the best choice. The USB full support really sold me (and not having to get the keyboard attachment to get all the ports I want).

Quick question. I want to put some movies on this when it comes in. Is there a place that sells digital copies of movies that are in the same resolution as the Iconia? I found movieberry.com which has great prices, but they seem to only have MKV (wont work on Iconia), AVI/DIVX files at 720x400 resolution, MP4 Ipad resolution and MP4 iPhone resolution. The three options that would work on the Iconia aren't nearly the correct resolution. Obviously, I'd be fine with black borders, but I want it to be the highest resolution possible on this tab. Any suggestions?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Ceramic, that's a good question. Will have to do some research. Have you considered just converting, yourself, and getting a compatible player from the market? Moboplayer comes to mind...
What brought you back to the Acer?

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Ceramic, that's a good question. Will have to do some research. Have you considered just converting, yourself, and getting a compatible player from the market? Moboplayer comes to mind...
What brought you back to the Acer?

A few things brought me back. 1st, I heard today the Transformer was pushed back to June 1st in europe, and that would also most likely be done in the US, too. I don't know about you, but something sounds wrong in their production of this thing. They've gone from March 30th, to April 6th, to end of April and now June?? On top of all that, I don't want the keyboard attachements Asus or Acer offers. I think for an Android tablet, it's kind of useless. I have a computer, I want a tab. The problem is, Acer has all the ports I need on the tablet. Asus for some reason put the USB ports, among other ports, on the keyboard part of the device, and not the tab itself. This kind of makes the tablet useless without the keyboard, which I see as just added bulk that I don't want to pay for. Sure the Transformer has a nicer screen, but at this point, it's about all I see that's better. The late release, odd port decisions and the "iPad lookalike black" look turned me off, ultimately. I really liked the brushed aluminum of the Acer.

So that's about why. I want a tablet now, and I'll get it in 6 days. Sounds good to me, and it gives me everything I want.

As far as the movies, yea I could convert them myself, but some of those movies I don't have on bluray or dvd. I figured with that one website, 2-3 bucks for some movies I don't own, to be played via HDMI from my Acer to the TV instead of paying 20-30 for a BluRay to play in my PS3, was a good idea.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I get you. Our reasons are very similar. And I figured that the wait would have played a role, too.
I have heard of a few people who like to watch movies on their tabs. I'll poll them and see what they do.

sydneyozguy

Apr 19, 2011
Well I am in Australia, and it has been released here, I have had it for a day and love it so far. But I need to know how to root it so I can get the GPS to fix onto are region faster. Anyone with knowledge on this would be appreciated. When I tried to use Faster Fix from the market it failed as I do not have Root access.

sydneyozguy

Apr 19, 2011
So with full USB support, does that mean I could put a video file, per say, onto a thumb drive and then drop that onto the system memory without having to plug in the Iconia to my computer?
Yes

Also, another good selling point regarding the Iconia is that it doesn't use a proprietary port for charging. This means it's possible to charge the tablet by plugging it into a computer, not just the wall. Not to sure on this, I haven't tried it, but others here said it did not work.

One last thing, does anyone know here if the Acer is flat on the bottom or bowed?
flat bottom, and only slight cures at the bezel on all four sides.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Sydneyozguy, how "chunky" does it feel to you, since this seems to be a common criticism? Does it affect its handling, for either good or bad?

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
Asus for some reason put the USB ports, among other ports, on the keyboard part of the device, and not the tab itself.

I also read someplace (sorry I can't find the link today) that some of the Eee Pads that were sent out for reviews are having issues with the Doc. Sometimes the keyboard or the ports will not work unless you reset the tablet. Also, the article mentioned that the Actual screen was noticeably deeper than the glass. Which had some effect the view angles. The other big thing was the reviewer also noted that the touch screen has some issues with touch response. Sometimes it acted like it wouldn't take the "click".

Sorry that I can't find the article today...because it was an interesting read.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I also read someplace (sorry I can't find the link today) that some of the Eee Pads that were sent out for reviews are having issues with the Doc. Sometimes the keyboard or the ports will not work unless you reset the tablet. Also, the article mentioned that the Actual screen was noticeably deeper than the glass. Which had some effect the view angles. The other big thing was the reviewer also noted that the touch screen has some issues with touch response. Sometimes it acted like it wouldn't take the "click".

Sorry that I can't find the article today...because it was an interesting read.

You're referring to the Engadget UK review. It was a very interesting read. Also, check out the pcworld Australia review of the Acer; another review that gave the impression of being very balanced.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Im telling you guys, there's something wrong and they know it. Between the Engadget review and the constant delays, it screams last minute changes. They don't want to sully their name by releasing a product that's flawed at launch, like the Xoom, but at the same time they're already hurting their rep by delaying the Transformer so long.

I'm very happy now with my choice in Acer. I guess my intuition served me well!

sydneyozguy

Apr 19, 2011
Sydneyozguy, how "chunky" does it feel to you, since this seems to be a common criticism? Does it affect its handling, for either good or bad?

Not at all, I was sitting on the bus on the way home today, and the guy in the next seat was playing with his iPad, and both of our devices look to be the same size. Wait until you can see one in person, you will be surprized with the look and feel, and the weight does not seem to be any problem.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
That's a beautiful thing! I just have to wait a few more days...