Why buying a 'Chinese' tablet may be safe and not illegal

geofferyh

Jan 4, 2011
1. Tablets are declared and clear US Customs.

2. You have purchased the Tablet "in good faith".

3. PayPal will protect your interest (and has mine on several occasions).

4. I have had to cancel orders, with no problem because I used PayPal.

I am sure there are even more reasons to support free trade. Be smart, proceed with caution and you will be just fine.

voltagem

Jun 15, 2012
Fare trade is one thing but no UL Listing or CE Marking make these devices far from safe. These tablets are equivalent to playing with fire. Will PayPal protect my interests and my house when it burns down due to a nonconforming battery or charger from one of these tablets?

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I may be wrong, but don't these things have to be checked out and declared safe before they can be sold here?

magician2905

May 31, 2012
If the tablet is being sold from China - then no it doesn't have to comply with any of the safety requirements - FCC USA, CE UK/EU

Natey2

May 25, 2012
If the tablet is sold at a major retailer like Best Buy or Fry's Electronics, wouldn't the item need to comply with local regulations?
I'd imagine the retailers would verify regulations before selling them here..

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I doubt it, I guess some people forgot about this http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/business/worldbusiness/19toys.html?pagewanted=all

seeing how something this deadly slipped through I really doubt the tablets are checked at all.

But they do have better deterrents than we do. I believe you all know what happened to people there who knowingly cause unsafe conditions:
"China also executed its former head of the State Food and Drug Administration, Zheng Xiaoyu in 2007 for accepting bribes to approve drugs, some of which turned out to be unsafe."
- http://www.aasc.ucla.edu/uschina/safety_responsibilities.shtml

bigfish79

Jun 15, 2012
that article has a few years on it and currently due to bad buisness practic china has lost billions of $$$ in exports ,nobody wants crap from them anymore beside cheaper electronics
I know the company I work for stopped buying any products that were made out of the country like 2 years ago and thats at least $3Million annualy , just from 1 small buisness , I can only imagine what some of the bigger companies we deal with have taken out of the pockets of the chiness
I can personaly say were i live 80-90% of the big companies ,small buisness ,and factories have followed the " put america to work " theme with great success , but thats here and i know its not everywere