why do you want to root?

RCholic

Sep 13, 2011
I'm a newbie, so please be gentle.

I saw a few post on rooting the acer A500 tablet, I'm just curious why you guys want to root it? what is the benefit of doing so? :confused:

HD87

May 14, 2011
I'm a newbie, so please be gentle.

I saw a few post on rooting the acer A500 tablet, I'm just curious why you guys want to root it? what is the benefit of doing so? :confused:
Got tethering working (ad hoc).
Got Netflix working -> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m/19595-got-netflix-working-a500-i-do-xd.html
Able to back-up ROM & Kernel with CWM. Apps & data with Titanium BackUp
Changed ROM from stock 3.1 to 3.2 HoneyVillain 1.1 & Kernel.
Overclocked @ 1.6 Mhz for better performance with setCPU -> https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mhuang.overclocking&feature=search_result
Changed theme to PCB Blue Theme -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1242311
Changed Boot Animation -> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/21594-how-change-boot-animation.html
Able to hide the Honeycomb bar -> https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tlalexander.tabletbarhider&feature=search_result

Last edited:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Rooting allows the user to have access to files within the Android system that are otherwise inaccessible; possibly to keep people from screwing up their devices and then demanding their money back.

Once rooted, the user doesn't only have access to these files, but apps can have access too, which allows for special functions, such as fully backing up app settings, overclocking your CPU, modifying your system, etc etc.

Rooting can be cool and useful if you know how to use it.
I know you didnt say you were planning to root, but I always tell Android noobs to not root unless they know how to do it (or have a friend who can do it for them) AND as long as they do not delete or alter any system files that they dont know what they do.
(If you use a Windows PC, then you should understand this. In Windows, you don't go into C:Windows or C:program files and just delete files unless you know exactly what you are doing. Right?)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

RCholic

Sep 13, 2011
thank you guys. now can you point me to the guide for rooting my acer a500, if any? thanks a lot

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
'From a previous post of mine, how to overclock'

ROOTING

Now for the first question, first you must root your tablet. Not sure if your familiar with this, but there's basicly an app you run (by sc2k @Xda forums, called iconia root) to gain 'superuser' access, that being like a gateway to the rest. This is really simple, but make sure you have unknown sources selected in the settings.

OVERCLOCKING

Then go to the market and install Acer Recovery Installer and reboot with Clockwork Mod recovery. For overclocking, find the kernel I have listed up there(Kernel 2.6.36.4-thor-V1.15) , download the file and put it on an SD card. Then start your Tab in recovery mode, (hold power button and up volume button until words appear in the top corner) and at the menu, select 'wipe cache', then go into advanced settings and wipe the 'dalvik cache'. Then select install zip from SD card, then the kernel. It flashes it, then just boot the Tablet normally. Last step, go into the market, get any app like SetCpu, then set the CPU at 1.504 or 1.6GHz, and your finished! Its not as complicated as it seems, and I did not lose my memory. But just in case, I would back up any important media and whatnot. Good luck, and PM me if anything goes wrong.

(Please correct any mistakes if found)

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
'From a previous post of mine, how to overclock'

ROOTING

Now for the first question, first you must root your tablet. Not sure if your familiar with this, but there's basicly an app you run (by sc2k @Xda forums, called iconia root) to gain 'superuser' access, that being like a gateway to the rest. This is really simple, but make sure you have unknown sources selected in the settings.

OVERCLOCKING

Then go to the market and install Acer Recovery Installer and reboot with Clockwork Mod recovery. For overclocking, find the kernel I have listed up there(Kernel 2.6.36.4-thor-V1.15) , download the file and put it on an SD card. Then start your Tab in recovery mode, (hold power button and up volume button until words appear in the top corner) and at the menu, select 'wipe cache', then go into advanced settings and wipe the 'dalvik cache'. Then select install zip from SD card, then the kernel. It flashes it, then just boot the Tablet normally. Last step, go into the market, get any app like SetCpu, then set the CPU at 1.504 or 1.6GHz, and your finished! Its not as complicated as it seems, and I did not lose my memory. But just in case, I would back up any important media and whatnot. Good luck, and PM me if anything goes wrong.

(Please correct any mistakes if found)

ROOTING- Already did that.

OVERCLOCKING - Will try it. But my only concern is downloading the CWM (Acer Recovery Installer) from the market.

I'm having trouble of getting those apps due to some limitations or restrictions of our internet connection in our area (Algeria).

Is there any way I can get that Acer Recovery Installer other than market? Also, I have the Taboonay 2.0 and I found out (for me) that it's better than other ROM's.

If you can give me some links where can I download the CWM, I'll appreciated it.

Thanks.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Well.. it might be able to be downloaded and installed straight off the web.. I'll check and see what I find.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Thanks.. everything I found wouldn't work..

HD87

May 14, 2011
Thanks.. everything I found wouldn't work..

You can go to data/app, copy the apk, paste to SD card, transfer to PC, compress apk & upload to forum.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Sweet.. I'll try that. Is there a certain way to compress the apk? And like compress into the apk, or comoress the apk?