Why does WoFi tirn itself off??

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Higuys,

This is a really annoying problem.

After turning the WiFi on, I'll wait do something else for a minute, and when I get back to the tablet and launch something that uses the Internet, there's a warning that there's no connection! So I open the task list and the WiFi indicator is dark! One time, I even saw the WiFi button say OFF when I was just watching it!

At the same time, my laptop has a good connection and the Wireless network icon is sitting there happy.

What things could be happening to cause the tablet to turn the WiFi off on its own? AFAIK, it should stay on unless you turn it off, and very few apps will do it for you, if you have it set up that way (like car-dock apps.)

thx

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Do you have any battery managers or task killers? They will turn off wifi to save battery. Also the tablet going to sleep usually turns wifi off to save battery in deep sleep but is supposed to turn it back on when it is woken up. Sometimes this process gets corrupted such as via an update. You might need to factory reset in that case.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I'm just talking about normal operating conditions. I don't use any task killers.

I usually have the charger plugged in while the WiFi is on, so it should not sleep at all. Then occasionally, it will just turn off the WiFi for some reason. It seems that if there are no applications running that require Internet access then it turn the WiFi off?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That shouldn't happen. Sometimes even a corrupt app can cause these issues though. Did you notice the problem after installing anything in particular? Start by removing those apps and see if it helps?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I think I know what's happening.

I noticed a message pop-up that says "Unable to scan" before it turned off.

The WiFi stuff tries to scan and detect hotspots, and if it doesn't (because the strength is too low or something) it will turn itself off.