Why no stock Exchange Mail App?

wosto

May 18, 2011
Hi,

New A500 owner and just to let you know I love it even though this post is a minor complaint...

I was totally expecting there to be a stock Exchange Mail App? I guess because there's been one with all the mail clients on my Android phones (HTC Hero & EVO).

Just kind of bummed out about it because I like TouchDown and I like being able to get my work emails on the A500 but I don't to have to pay $20 to do so (and my work isn't going to pay it).

Do you think Acer will eventually come out with Exchange email support on their stock mail client (like HTC did) does the Xoom have Exchange support?

Just curious. Other than that no other major complaints, although I wish Google would get a move on with updating their apps for tablets (i.e. Voice and Docs) they're not going to win the Tablet OS battle if they don't get a move on with their apps!

mgammal

May 26, 2011
Hi,
I just got my Iconia tab last night, and out of the box it DOES have exchange email support, i typed my settings and everything worked just fine.
Go to Settings->Accounts & Sync Settings->Manage Accounts, click +Add account on the upper right corner, from the list choose "Corporate", enter your settings and there you go.

wosto

May 18, 2011
Hi,
I just got my Iconia tab last night, and out of the box it DOES have exchange email support, i typed my settings and everything worked just fine.
Go to Settings->Accounts & Sync Settings->Manage Accounts, click +Add account on the upper right corner, from the list choose "Corporate", enter your settings and there you go.

Dude! You are awesome! I feel so stupid that I didn't see this before, duh! I owe you, I was moments away from buying an exchange app...

Thanks!

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Ok, stupid question. When you set up your accounts, what app should the email open in? I have a GMail, a Yahoo, and a corporate Exchange account that I need to manage for email. All are set up in Settings\Accounts, but I want to combine all these into one email client. Unfortunately, the GMail account is defaulted to the GMail client and I have tried 6 - 7 other different email clients and some configure for one account but not the others. The only client I have been able to open all my accounts with is "Enhanced Email" but it doesn't show email folders in a hierarchical format (which is a necessity for me) and the UI isn't great. Am I missing something that will allow me to combine all my accounts using the default email client the A500 offers?

Thanks

wosto

May 18, 2011
Okay, I wasn't as stupid as I thought :) Apparently there was no Exchange Support on my unit until after the update was pushed, that's why I didn't see it before!

pentool

May 1, 2011
Ok, stupid question. When you set up your accounts, what app should the email open in? I have a GMail, a Yahoo, and a corporate Exchange account that I need to manage for email. All are set up in Settings\Accounts, but I want to combine all these into one email client. Unfortunately, the GMail account is defaulted to the GMail client and I have tried 6 - 7 other different email clients and some configure for one account but not the others. The only client I have been able to open all my accounts with is "Enhanced Email" but it doesn't show email folders in a hierarchical format (which is a necessity for me) and the UI isn't great. Am I missing something that will allow me to combine all my accounts using the default email client the A500 offers?

The default "Email" app should be able to include all your email accounts. True, in the "Gmail" app you can only add Gmail accounts. However, you can add Gmail account in the default "Email" app as well.

I have all my email accounts setup in "Email" (gmail, yahoo, exchange) and they all work fine from within that single app. It also has combined view as well.

CAACERman

May 22, 2011
I never received an update yet. Any thoughts? I would like that and not use touchdown.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

ramekjb

Jun 23, 2011
What level operating system do you have? I have A500 Android 3.0.1 and no Exchange yet. Here it is June 23rd. This thing is going back soon if they don't push the update. Can someone that have exchange working tell me what version OS they have?

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Best Android Email package is K-9.
It does everything. Even signs and encrypts mail if you want.
Free in the market.
YMMV.

rickm_ny

Jun 23, 2011
I tried and tried with this acer iconia it will not connect me to my exchange but the asus transformer did with out incident what can I try i did not see any corporate option

shdw03

May 11, 2011
k9 works well on my tab, but a huge data hog on my galaxy s. seems the last k9 update screwed up the push settings

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

wosto

May 18, 2011
What level operating system do you have? I have A500 Android 3.0.1 and no Exchange yet. Here it is June 23rd. This thing is going back soon if they don't push the update. Can someone that have exchange working tell me what version OS they have?

Thanks

It was the "build number" that gave me the "Corporate" account option.... My build is acer_a500_1.141.07_com_gen1 After i got that there was a Corporate choice when adding an acount under "accounts & sync"

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I know that they did a mini patch that was like 32MB or something and it included the "corporate" option for email account syncing. Since Acer stopped pushing that minor update to just include it all in 3.1, you might have to wait till they send it out if that's what you are looking for.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Note that the minipatch or even the next full release might not get you to full Exchange functionality on some corporate mail.

Full compatibility to Exchange, depending on how paranoid your exchange host is, can require remote wipe capability, and I doubt the Acer will ever provide that being it is aimed at the consumer, and not a corporate.