Why won't the wi-fi connection stay on?

Dyeinflorida

Dec 25, 2011
My granddaughter (8 y/o), was given a wondermedia wm8650 tablet for christmas, and we can't do anything on it. The first problem is the wi-fi disconnects right after we turn it on. It is our own wi-fi and says "excellent" signal strength ( I am sitting right next to it). Why won't it stay on?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems with that new tablet. I'm moving your thread to the WonderMedia Based section for you. Hopefully someone there will be able to help you out. Good luck!

rsalter1

Jan 4, 2012
Problem is actually your router. Well, the problem is your tablet, but the only fix I've found is changing the router. It's involved in the security and the way the tablet sees the router. I had to experiment with settings on the router before I came up with the right combination. Check this by taking grand to McDonalds (free wifi) and seeing if the completely unsecured router there doesn't play nicely with the tablet. If it does (and I'm betting it will) then you'll have to start changing settings on your router. There are a number of posts on this forum about security settings to try (every router is slightly different) to make it play nice with all your devices.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Hi try setting router to802.11 b g only, not b g n .works for me but dont expect miracles
Signal distance is limited more than laptop,possibly 5/10m or so mine is about 5m away through 2 doors. Good luck.

Sent from my WM8650 using Android Tablet Forum

dogtag1968

Oct 18, 2011
I've found my WM8650 WIFI to work great using an Open Network and WPA, but it will not connect to a WEP Secured network. It will see the network but says it's out of range.

Hope this helps.

swannranch

Feb 21, 2012
okay i have an asus tp, eerything seems fine, but when it goes to sleep and wakes up, i have a signal but wifi wont work. i have to open settings turn wifi off. then turn itback on, then wait up to a minute and a half. is this a setting on my router issue? any help appreciated.

kingrex65

Feb 21, 2012
I have a transformer tf 101 and am having excate same problem.....having to turn on and off to get to worw.i have att dsl internet and would appreciate the help thx

wd9dui

Mar 10, 2012
The WIFI connection is better at the house than Mac’s, for some reason when they did the site survey if the did one is very poor, they have about 3 WIFI signals all on the same channel and I can never get a good connection. It is a good idea just to fish around and confirm that the tablet does work and go from there.
Gary

Jyclop

Aug 3, 2014
Hi everyone! I see this thread is kind of old, but I have an Apex EMDOOR EM63 tablet.
My problem is that the wifi on the tablet won't stay connected when it's on sleep. As soon as I turn it back on, it reconnects. This behavior keeps me from getting real-time notifications for emails and stuff. In the settings there's an option to "Keep WiFi on during sleep", and I set that to "Always", but I'm still having the same problem. Also my router is a Netgear R4500. I tried it with my neighbor's ACTIONTEC unsecured WiFi and it stays connected just fine.
Any suggestions?