wi-fi issues

dhornick

May 12, 2011
Is anyone else having issues with their wi-fi randomly disconnecting? I thought it was my router but my girlfriends a500 works fine in the house as well as my net book. Am I the only one/ should i exchange it for a new one?

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Mine seems to disconnect randomly as well. Usually after I wake it up after it has been asleep for awhile. All I have to do is turn wifi off and on again, but its still an annoying bug.

jeisen24

May 15, 2011
I'm having this issue as well. Like stated,a wifi reset does the trick, but it does get annoying. Is there a live bug thread for the iconia? I'd like to read what issues other users are having.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I used Wifi analyzer inside my house...both on the A500 and my Droid Incredible. What I found is that the A500 reports 5-10 dbm weaker signal strength than my Incredible. It could be that if you are too far from your router, you are just getting dropped and that is responsible for the problems you notice.

wilsogr

May 15, 2011
I also had wifi problems. Although all my other wireless equipment worked well in my home the Iconia TAB would only work well when close to the router. Solved the problem with a wifi extender.

TBone

Nov 19, 2010
I guess I should be pretty happy....I've (so far) had no wifi problems, whether from my modem or from my phones AP.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Wifi is going to be an individual thing to a large degree. We all have different living environments. The only way I think you can make any kind of meaningful evaluation is to compare the A500 against several other WIFI devices in similar location, making note that how you hold the device and how it is oriented can have an impact. But the bottom line is that if your other WIFI stuff works and the A500 doesn't --- in your living space --- then you may not be a happy camper when using the A500.

Personally, it seems the A500 has weak wifi hardware. In my living room, I can use both my Droid Incredible and my iPad 2. But in that same location on the couch, the A500 can't download a webpage. That's not going to work for me, but someone else might be able to make a totally different statement, because of the difference in living environments. You might find that when you venture into new locations and try to use your WIFI, the signal strength issue might limit your use of the device while others will be fine.

fortytwo

Apr 28, 2011
My A500 will drop connection for 10-30 seconds on occasion, and then reconnect on it's own. Sometimes it never drops - both situations occurring in the same chair. Don't have the problem with my laptops, so it's an A500 thing. Suspect it's a software "feature" that will eventually be resolved. If it were hardware it should always happen.

I think all of us are participants in an "advanced BETA" exercise. I see a good bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Just the price of being an early adopter. Or you could go live in the Apple playpen, where things usually work -- if they are things Uncle Steve thinks you need!

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
My A500 will drop connection for 10-30 seconds on occasion, and then reconnect on it's own. Sometimes it never drops - both situations occurring in the same chair. Don't have the problem with my laptops, so it's an A500 thing. Suspect it's a software "feature" that will eventually be resolved. If it were hardware it should always happen.

Conditions in the atmosphere, your local environment, including other unseen/unknown electromagnetic activity, means that things aren't really always the same. Therefore things can work fine sometimes and not fine other times. And if the signal reception is weak and in the presence of other signals and sources of disruption, then you can lose connection. The environment made seem to be a steady state, but it is not.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm getting a wi fi extender this afternoon so hopefully that fixes my issues.

UPDATE: I got a wi fi extender and it has fixed my issues, thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

robdroid

May 4, 2011
If your router is DD-WRT compatible- you may be able to adjust it's output power without any additional expense...

dutchie

May 18, 2011
I too have had many dropped wifi signals. I just had it drop 3 times in 5 mins and every time it would come back on after I disconnected and reconnected with 2 bars. This only happens on my home wifi; my work wifi never drops. I have a WRT router for wifi at home so I'll have to see if there is an update to try.

leach19m

May 18, 2011
my wifi is always at full strength, not dropped once. Although I do get the occasional random connection error in the market which is fixed when I hit retry

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

drozas

May 1, 2011
Have had mine since 2 days from launch and my wifi has just started to randomly shut off about a week ago. Ironically, it started just after the GPS started working well. Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Sent from my A500