Wi-Fi settings are not responding

Burkhard99

Oct 2, 2012
I'm still using Android 4.0 and it's now the fourth time over the last 5 months that Android reboots suddenly suddenly and - after that - WI-FI settings are not responding at all.
Wi-Fi is OFF and remains OFF. On the right side it shows "turning on Wi-Fi..."

In the past I have tried different things (paperclip reset, cold reboot) but finally my only solution seems to go back to factory settings.
Even with backup this means a few hours of extra work, which I cannot afford, because I'm on a business trip right now.

Do you have a simple solution for me?
Right now I'm aware that Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is about to come. I did not jet update. (I was afraid to do this while on the road.) But in this situation may be I can fix the above mentioned problem with an update.
But than I would need to download a "jelly bean - file" - if something like this exists - to a PC and use a flash drive to start it on my TF201.

What do you think?

Burkhard​

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Your explanation points to a problem with your router rather than the Transformer. It may be the type of security in the router, (WPA/WPA2 is best), or old firmware, or maybe it just needs a good kick in the butt. I have a link in my signature that provides some ideas on how to solve the problem.

Burkhard99

Oct 2, 2012
I'm sure it is not a router problem or a weak signal or a password mistyping.

What happens is, I cannot start the Wi-Fi Scanner at all. It's switched OFF and any attempt to switch it back ON fails. So it is not even scanning for networks...

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Sounds like a kernel panic, do a lsmod if your WiFi module is loaded rmmod your wifi module then try to enable WiFi.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
lsmod means list modules

rmmod means remove modules

In Linux the words are shortened

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Sorry, what is "lsmod" and "rmmod" ??

Try this
Power off, disconnected from the charger. Hold the volume button down then at the same time the power button until you see some white writing in the upper left corner. Then release the buttons and wait for a restart. That's called a cold boot or hard reset.

Burkhard99

Oct 2, 2012
I gave up and went back to factory settings. (with a lot of extra work :mad:

However, I want to know more about this bug of a frozen WIFI toggle. I'm scared it will happen again anytime :mad:

In the windows world you can stop a process that is frozen.

I would be surprised, if nothing like this is possible with Android.

Is this what you are talking about?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer Prime TF201 mit Tapatalk 2

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I am unaware of any "bug" re: a frozen WiFi toggle. A hard reset rather than a factory reset will fix many problems but maybe not that. There are 2 possibilities in my mind. Either you have a misbehaving app or a hardware problem.

I do hard resets to my TF201 every other week in order to keep it tuned up. Mine is pretty much flawless.

Last edited:

Burkhard99

Oct 2, 2012
I am unaware of any "bug" re: a frozen WiFi toggle. A hard reset rather than a factory reset will fix many problems but maybe not that. There are 2 possibilities in my mind. Either you have a misbehaving app or a hardware problem.

I do hard resets to me TF201 every other week in order to keep it tuned up. Mine is pretty much flawless.

Unfortunately, a hard reset didn't fix it, but I like your idea of doing "preventative" hard resets.

BTW can anyone recomment a good task manager and cleaning tool? I've seen there are many out there...

Gesendet von meinem Transformer Prime TF201 mit Tapatalk 2